PDA

View Full Version : How Does This Even Happen?

falcon409
January 7th, 2017, 10:07
Been flying Dave Garwoods Dragon Rapide for about a week now. Although at first glance I found it less than interesting, the airplane has grown on me and now it's a regular in the hangar. So I have a CH Throttle and Logitech 3D Pro Twist Joystick and practically everything I need during a flight is programmed to the buttons on both controllers. . .has been for a couple years at least. I regularly calibrate both of them so they stay well tuned. I flew several times yesterday, the last flight being late evening. I saved the flight, shut down the sim and went off to bed.

This morning I get up, crank up the PC and get ready to fly to another destination in the Dragon. I notice that when I hit the button to chat with ATC, I get a change of view rather than the ATC window. After closer inspection I discover that every button on both controllers has been reset to default. HUH? How does that happen?:dizzy:

jandjfrench
January 7th, 2017, 10:34
Hi,
I'm assuming that the control setting change is not unique to the Dragon; and this is only in relation to a change of control settings which I once had. After swapping the controllers and some other devices to different USB ports, my yoke and pedal assignments had swapped. My hunch is that the problem was somehow related to FSUIPC. Since that time I backup my Standard.xml once I've configured my controls to my liking. Perhaps something to be aware of.
Jim F.

falcon409
January 7th, 2017, 11:11
Hi,
I'm assuming that the control setting change is not unique to the Dragon
Correct!

. . . .Since that time I backup my Standard.xml once I've configured my controls to my liking. Perhaps something to be aware of.
Jim F.
Went back and made a copy after recalibrating and reprogramming. Always a good idea, you just have to remember to DO IT, lol. Thanks!

Moses03
January 7th, 2017, 11:20
Correct!

Went back and made a copy after recalibrating and reprogramming. Always a good idea, you just have to remember to DO IT, lol.

Not a bad idea Ed. This has happened to me a couple of times for no apparent reason.

Dangerousdave26
January 7th, 2017, 11:38
For fun start up fight simulator, launch on a flight and set auto pilot.

Now in another window try editing the standard.xml file and save the changes.

Windows will probably complain that another application had the file open.

If you get that message then this is the source of the problem. When you start a flight or probably as soon as you start the simulator FSX starts reading the file. When FSX shuts down or closes out it saves the file again. If this save does not complete correctly the file could become corrupt. Thus rendering the file unusable, the next time FsX starts would generate a new xml file.

wombat666
January 8th, 2017, 06:05
Those bloody Gremlins have got out of their cage again..............:banghead:

ChipShop
January 10th, 2017, 05:25
Funny enough Ed, something similar happened to me just over the holiday period; I started FSX one day, to find the Keybord commands had reverted to default settings! No other settings were effected, just the keyboard ones!
So, I asked the 'oracle' aka, DaveB; his reply was that it hadn't happened to him, but he had heard of it happening to others! He couldn't offer any logical explanation for why this occurred, it's simply a pain in the butt!
ChipShop:encouragement:

Daube
January 10th, 2017, 05:51
I also had that problem several times in the past.
I could never find any explanation for it. The backup is the only solution.