PDA

View Full Version : Doing some experimenting

Willy
January 6th, 2017, 17:23
I was looking at a pic of a model racing plane the other day with a kind of burnt orange metalflake paint and figured what the heck. I can't recall if I'd ever saw a metalflake paint in FS.

It's getting there, but needs some deep polishing at this point.

Mach3DS
January 6th, 2017, 18:25
There is an AMAZING purple metal flake paint for.the RealAir Duke Turbine. It's awesome. One of.the best schemes I've seen.

Craig Taylor
January 6th, 2017, 18:27
I like it!

Willy
January 6th, 2017, 19:24
Thanks!

Did a bunch of polishing with the alphas and specs. This is turning out a lot better than I thought the color combo would when I started messing with it.

Now to decide if I want to do it as an all out racing scheme or more as a "sport" plane type. Also need to figure out the pin stripe color as well.

Mach3DS
January 6th, 2017, 20:54
Looking good Willy!

Astoroth
January 6th, 2017, 22:53
Very nice!

nigel richards
January 7th, 2017, 09:33
Delicious texture work, Willy. :-)

Willy
January 7th, 2017, 13:04
Thanks guys! I must give credit to Nigel though. He gave me some insight into using layers and some ideas on metal that finally made it all click in my meager brain. Without that, I'd still be basically doing cave paintings.

I've kind of got my Gee Bee thing going again. If we ever run the London to Melbourne event again, this one is on the short list for my ride. I've got a start on some more to go along with this one (added pin striping to it this afternoon).

Willy
January 9th, 2017, 10:20
I've picked up a few new (to me) tricks the past couple of days and this one is gonna get a re-do. I was very close to uploading it the other day when I had an ah-ha moment that panned out and has led to a few other ideas . I think I've learned more about painting using the Alabeo Gee Bee Z than anything else.

PRB
January 9th, 2017, 10:28
Good stuff Willy!

Mach3DS
January 9th, 2017, 10:52
Because they use specs and fresnels to good effect?

Willy
January 9th, 2017, 15:35
I suspect so. But it is mapped out a bit weird nothing that can't be sorted out or worked around though. And it keeps things "interesting" when flying it.

Willy
January 9th, 2017, 18:34
Getting there. Got some cleaning up to do, pin stripe it, then do the logos and lettering.

ryapad
January 9th, 2017, 19:02
Looking pretty good! Who makes that airplane?

Ryan

Willy
January 9th, 2017, 19:23
Alabeo Gee Bee Z About $20. Kind of tricky to take off and land, but it keeps you from getting bored.

Willy
January 10th, 2017, 20:53
Not much progress today. Got some more "cleaning up" to do.

TeiscoDelRay
January 11th, 2017, 06:45
There is an AMAZING purple metal flake paint for.the RealAir Duke Turbine. It's awesome. One of.the best schemes I've seen.

Thanks, you mean this one? I am really trying to remember how I did it.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/Warbirds_photos/bcdukemf_zpsfpk0l4rn.jpg (http://s260.photobucket.com/user/Warbirds_photos/media/bcdukemf_zpsfpk0l4rn.jpg.html)