PDA

View Full Version : A few questions regarding the Hr. Ms. Karel Doorman R81

Cees Donker
January 6th, 2017, 10:46
Hello SOH fellow members,

I'm making good progress with the Karel Doorman carrier, but I could use some help. I've got a few questions and I hope someone over here can enlighten me!

1. How can I put a plane on the dek of the carrier? Let me be specific: I would like the Sea Hawk from Rob on the Deck and maybe a helicopter.

2. I want to animate the wheel catchers on the deck. How do I do that?

3. I tried to put in attachpoints with Catapult steam in the model. I used ModelConverterX to do that. I only get steam when the model is placed by AiCarrier. I must be missing something? A condition perhaps? Or an orientation?

:wavey:

Cees

jagl04
January 6th, 2017, 14:47
You can place planes or helos on the deck using this technique: create the plane as a mdl file, modify the position with model converter to locate it on the adequate place and merge the plane model with the carrier model (use "merge")

If you want to use a concrete model (the sea hawk, for instance), you can modify it using mdelconverter to merge it. But be careful: planes for FSX are too heavy and your final model (ship with planes) can be too heavy to be compiled. It is much better to choose simple models

Best

Alberto

Cees Donker
January 6th, 2017, 21:04
Okay, I solved the wheel catcher problem. But the other two questions still remain. Thanks for the reply Alberto. I would like to use the plane as a seperate model, not as part of the ship model.

Cees

jagl04
January 8th, 2017, 11:00
Okay, I solved the wheel catcher problem. But the other two questions still remain. Thanks for the reply Alberto. I would like to use the plane as a seperate model, not as part of the ship model.

Cees

In that case, you can create a separate model with the plane /planes you intend to place on the deck, as follows:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46040&stc=1

Add it to the mdl file (in this example, model.harrier-deck1_AI)

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46038&stc=1

Edit the "sim" file, adding the new "ship" (the plane), as follows;
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46039&stc=1

That will be a new "ship", that you can place on the carrier with AI carriers as a formation: just put both (ship and plane/planes) in the same location (ccordinates 0,0 for both).

[formation.xx]
title= BPE_full
unit.0=BPE_AI, 0, 0
unit.1=harrier-deck1_AI, 0, 0

As you can see, you can create different configurations on the deck with planes, helicopters, crew or anything you have created.
You can download any of may carriers to see a sample and to analize the technique.

jagl04
January 8th, 2017, 11:15
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46046&stc=1

This is what I did with the Juan Carlos I, using AI carriers

Essex
January 8th, 2017, 11:23
An alternative option is to put the planes in a scenery object library. Then attach them to the carrier using the Attached Object Editor in MCX.
This will work independently of AIcarriers.

Cees Donker
January 8th, 2017, 12:45
I'll take a look. Thanks for the feedback!

:wavey:

Cees

PhantomTweak
January 8th, 2017, 13:17
I may sound like a broken record, but if you use AICarriers as much as I do, it's well worth switching to Orion's AICarrers.NET. It works better than than the original, using much less in computer resources. It also, I think, is the only one that works with FSX:SE. It's functionality is identical, and it uses the same carriers, and config files that the original does. Same everything, just works better than the original. At least on every machine I stuck it on.
I can dig up a link to where the download is, if you so desire.
Pat☺

jagl04
January 9th, 2017, 10:35
An alternative option is to put the planes in a scenery object library. Then attach them to the carrier using the Attached Object Editor in MCX.
This will work independently of AIcarriers.

Two questions about this technique:
1.- In which folder do we have to place the bgl archive of the library? With the model?
and
2.- The coordinates of the attach point mark the center of the selected object, the base or which one?

Essex
January 9th, 2017, 15:11
1.- In which folder do we have to place the bgl archive of the library? With the model?

Treat exactly the same as any other object library, existing object libraries can also be utilised. If you disable that particular library, those planes will disappear from deck.

2.- The coordinates of the attach point mark the center of the selected object, the base or which one?
You should be able to covert the distances directly from static_cg_height and X,Y from AIcarriers. Alternatively, temporarily merge in the plane object to visualise it's position, use the same coordinates for the attachment.

I seem to remember that this is quite confusing at first, but actually straightforward, although there is the feet to meters irritation.

PhantomTweak
January 9th, 2017, 21:40
...although there is the feet to meters irritation.
Well, don't let NASA have anything do with that! They have a proven difficulty doing that...
:biggrin-new: :dizzy: :triumphant:
Pat☺