PDA

View Full Version : Payware C-54

ColoKent
January 5th, 2017, 11:22
Okay...so I'll admit it-- I'm suddenly going classic prop crazy...

So we have the marvelous Jahn/Javis DC-3 (with an updated version somewhere in the pipeline)....We have the released several (3?) years ago JF DC-6 as well as PMDG DC-6 somewhere out on (I'm guessing...) a medium to long final approach after it's conversion from X-Plane...

However, since Jens B. Kristensen's freeware C-54 (which is nice...but getting a bit long in the tooth)...I have not seen a payware C-54/DC-4, nor do I know of any in the pipeline. Does anyone know of one?

Just wondered.

Thanks,

Kent

diegoxs
January 5th, 2017, 11:36
Flight Replicas just released a Canadair North Star/Argonaut and it has a DC-4 C-54 in the pipeline.

ColoKent
January 5th, 2017, 11:47
Flight Replicas just released a Canadair North Star/Argonaut and it has a DC-4 C-54 in the pipeline.

That is GREAT news! Thanks for the heads-up....

Kent

BendyFlyer
January 5th, 2017, 11:59
ColoKent, just remember the main role of a DC-4 when Qantas had them was to fly new and busted engines around after the Constellation.

txnetcop
January 5th, 2017, 13:04
I might add that Mike's Argonaut is nothing less than remarkable in it's authenticity. I mainly fly A2A aircraft for payware and a lot Milton Shupe's aircraft for non-payware. I'm a nut for as real as it gets! You will not be disappointed in the Flight Replica's Argonaut, very stable, great gauges, and just fun to fly!
Ted

ColoKent
January 5th, 2017, 19:03
Interesting tidbit related to the C-54...the Berlin airlift ran from 24 June 1948 – 12 May 1949, and I always remembered the C-47 and C-54s were the primary US haulers. What I didn't learn until yesterday was this: "Another decision was made when it was realised that it took just as long to unload a 3.5-ton C-47 as a 10-ton C-54. One of the reasons for this was the sloping cargo floor of the "taildragger" C-47s, which made truck loading difficult. The tricycle geared C-54's cargo deck was level, so that a truck could back up to it and offload cargo quickly. Tunner decided, as he had done during the Hump operation, to replace all C-47s in the airlift with C-54s or larger aircraft, which went into full effect after 28 September 1948."

So the C-47's were only used for about 4 months of the airlift.

Back on topic-- I am delighted to hear of the high quality of the Argonaut...It will be great to have a high quality DC-4/C-54.

Kent

mjahn
January 7th, 2017, 04:07
Errr ... let's not forget that the Berlin Airlift was an allied operation... so while it is true that the U.S. C-47's were withdrawn to allow increased C-54 operation (for the reason given), the British civilian and air force Dakotas (C-47's by another name), and plenty of them, went on up right to the very end, with time on their hands to fly out little kids like YT.

ColoKent
January 7th, 2017, 05:55
Manfred-- I didn't think of that-- you're right. Totally forgot about the allied C-47 Dakotas. Good catch!

BTW--- WONDERFUL C-47!!!!!

Kent

511Flyer
January 7th, 2017, 07:28
Don't forget also, the RAF's HP Hastings and Avro Yorks in the Berlin airlift. They lost 5 aircraft and 18 men in the operation.

Den.

simondix
January 7th, 2017, 10:27
There was quite a hotch potch of aircraft on the Airlift. Including Sunderlands flying in salt

mjahn
January 8th, 2017, 03:24
Yes, in addition to the ubiquitous C-54's and C-47's there were:

Consolidated Liberator
Douglas C-74 bug-eyed Globemaster I
Boeing C-97A
Lockheed C-121A
Fairchild C-82 Packet
Avro Yorks, Lancastrians, Tudors 1 and 2, Lincoln,
Bristol Freighter/Wayfarer (legend has it that a US pilot misheard this as "Mayflower")
Handley Page Halton, Hastings
Sunderland
Viking

Most of these have been modelled or are at least flyable as AI. With some retro airports and maps added, Operation Plainfare could actually be simulated nicely on FSX...

Of course, the Russians also showed their hand by deploying fighters such as the Mig-15. And the Americans had this big stick lurking on UK bases, thankfully they were not put to use:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51024107/Screenshot%202016-12-16.jpg

ksw1375
January 8th, 2017, 03:36
Yes, in addition to the ubiquitous C-54's and C-47's there were:

Consolidated Liberator
Douglas C-74 bug-eyed Globemaster I
Boeing C-97A
Lockheed C-121A
Fairchild C-82 Packet
Avro Yorks, Lancastrians, Tudors 1 and 2, Lincoln,
Bristol Freighter/Wayfarer (legend has it that a US pilot misheard this as "Mayflower")
Handley Page Halton, Hastings
Sunderland
Viking

Most of these have been modelled or are at least flyable as AI. With some retro airports and maps added, Operation Plainfare could actually be simulated nicely on FSX...

Of course, the Russians also showed their hand by deploying fighters such as the Mig-15. And the Americans had this big stick lurking on UK bases, thankfully they were not put to use:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51024107/Screenshot%202016-12-16.jpg

wow!!!.. B-50 Superfortress that???

JensOle
January 8th, 2017, 04:58
From the serial it looks very much like WB-50D (converted from the Boeing B-50D-110-BO series) 49-0285.. :-)

ksw1375
January 8th, 2017, 07:07
Oh... so Manfred Jahn B-50 Superfortress now announced??

fnkybnch
January 8th, 2017, 11:53
CalClassic has a scenery for Tempelhof 1962. temphf62.zip at flightsim.com. Its for fs9, but I'm sure it could be adapted for fsx. I know its for a later time period, but it could still work. And let's not forget Lt. Gail Halvorsen, the "Candy Bomber". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gail_Halvorsen I wonder if we could rig an AI C-54 to do that? Mark

expat
January 11th, 2017, 01:41
Oh... so Manfred Jahn B-50 Superfortress now announced??

I'd say that looks like Tom Kohler's ("Gnoopy") B-50.