PDA

View Full Version : Pmdg dc-6 fsx/p3d?

ColoKent
December 29th, 2016, 10:11
Well, in the aftermath of the mucho-awesome A2A Connie...my classic propliner-lusting thoughts have turned to the PMDG DC-6. Back on 17 September, RSR regaled us with the fact the the DC-6 was in beta for FSX/P3D. I've been over snooping on their Facebook page and in their forum on AVSIM, but all I am hearing about is "Queen of the Skies" (B-747-400)...which admittedly, I'll probably get...but I was really hoping to get the DC-6 sooner. Does anyone here have any insight as to the status the DC-6?

Thanks,

Kent

Alky
December 29th, 2016, 10:41
Does anyone here have any insight as to the status the DC-6?

Thanks,

Kent

I thought they released it for X-Plane and would be releasing for FSX/P3D sometime afterwards. I could be wrong.

Mejborn
December 29th, 2016, 23:53
Or maybe its about high time that we leave buggy 10 year old 32bit microsoft software and move over to 64-bit X-plane-11.

when read IF we ever get a 64 bit simulator from either dovetail or P3D, I doubt we can use much of the software we already have.

I´m running FSX-SE and P3Dv3 now, but maybe I should skip one of those and install X-plane

BendyFlyer
December 30th, 2016, 00:54
Well who knows re the DC-6 from PMDG. I thought it was a strange move to go down the X-plane route. But having looked at endless videos doing a comparison of FSX v X-Plane it seems FSX comes out on top especially with respect to textures, especially water etc and there are autogen issues. I will stay where I am until convinced that P3D or X-Plane are a viable substitute.

jeansy
December 30th, 2016, 01:37
I thought i read somewhere after the 747v3

Mejborn
December 30th, 2016, 02:22
Maybe PMDG know they will hit the 32bits roof with the DC-6 because of the low amount of memory that the 32bit programs can use.

The X-plane recommendations for the DC-6 are 16 - 20gb of ram.

ColoKent
December 30th, 2016, 03:59
I thought i read somewhere after the 747v3

Matt--

Ah...Okay. I knew they had gone into beta on the DC-6 on 17 Sep and 747 V3 on 1 Oct...but I didn't really think about one being tied to the other.

That makes sense.

Thanks,

Kent

Jafo
December 30th, 2016, 04:21
Maybe PMDG know they will hit the 32bits roof with the DC-6 because of the low amount of memory that the 32bit programs can use.

The X-plane recommendations for the DC-6 are 16 - 20gb of ram.
Someone's pretty crappy at coding if you need "16 - 20gb of ram" ....;)

Mejborn
December 30th, 2016, 10:14
Someone's pretty crappy at coding if you need "16 - 20gb of ram" ....;)

Maybe its in order to avoid the out of memory CTD that all FS sims are famous for if you fly complex aircraft over complex scenery for an extended period of time and that doesnt have to be very long. The DC-6 wasnt exactly made for flying half an hour sunday afternoon with granma.:santahat:

Jafo
December 30th, 2016, 17:12
I'm currently using 11 gig whilst running FSX over YMML with 4096 uncompressed res plane graphics, 4 instances of PSP - 2 of which have 2048 res multi-layer images open [about 60 layers each], 2 instances of DXTBmp, Skype, Dopus [file manager], this browser with 11 tabs, and Winamp playing 'Disturbed'.
OK, so the system has 32gig of DDR4 2666 [Corsair Dominator Platinum], but I'm still not running '16 to 20'.
...and no OOM...;)

Sometimes whilst in the midst of a model paint there'll be anything up to 20 instances of PSP ...at which stage everything might get up to about 28gig....

jeansy
December 30th, 2016, 17:38
Matt--

Ah...Okay. I knew they had gone into beta on the DC-6 on 17 Sep and 747 V3 on 1 Oct...but I didn't really think about one being tied to the other.

That makes sense.

Thanks,

Kent

all honestly I dont know, however Im hanging out for a DC6 just as much as the next guy

but PMDG biggest source of income are the tubes, can you image all the roar if the dc6 was released now and the 747 was held up for the dc6, people are already cursing them for not releasing it before xmas.....

Mejborn
December 30th, 2016, 23:28
Jafo, I´m glad to know you dont have VAS or OOM issues, nor do I if I accept the limits of FSX/P3D, but it doesnt change 2 facts.
*FSX/P3D are 32 bit programs and can only handle a max of 4 gigs of memory
*The above does that the sim cant be develloped any further because there´s no more headroom in what we have today.

Thats why I hope to get a good 64 bit sim very soon. I´m not using X-plane, but maybe I will soon. I think that I for at least an extended period will keep FSX/P3D because of all the addons I have and because I know what I got, but I´m looking forward to slowly be building a completely new flight sim world up from scratch. I have basically stopped buying things for FSX/P3D. I´m saving up for a new and hopefully better world. :very_drunk:

Mejborn
December 31st, 2016, 02:43
The PMDG memory recommendations are actually smalller than X-plane itself.
Here´s the recomendations for running Xplane:

Minimum Hardware Requirements
CPU: Intel Core i3, i5, or i7 CPU with 2 or more cores, or AMD equivalent (Dual-core CPUs slower than 3 GHz should try the demo before purchasing.)
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Video Card: a DirectX 11-capable video card from NVIDIA, AMD or Intel with at least 1 GB VRAM

Recommended Hardware Requirements

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K at 3.5 ghz or faster
Memory: 16-24 GB RAM or more
Video Card: a DirectX 12-capable video card from NVIDIA, AMD or Intel with at least 4 GB VRAM (GeForce GTX 1070 or better or similar from AMD)

IanP
December 31st, 2016, 05:13
Jafo, I don't think you understand how memory addressing works - the 32 bit limitation of 3.something GB maximum RAM is specific to that application. You can run loads of other applications, especially 64-bit ones, without touching FSX's address space. The moment FSX hits 3.6ishGB of RAM, though, bang. OOM.

Dovetail Games are converting the FSX base application to 64-bit for their release, which has been put back. XP10 and XP11 are already native 64-bit. Those can also run out of memory, but it's a lot more blinkin' difficult than it is with a 32-bit application.

It's easiest to look at it this way, where "n" = either a 1 or a 0 (i.e. a bit).
32 bits = nnnnnnnn nnnnnnnn nnnnnnnn nnnnnnnn
64 bits = nnnnnnnn nnnnnnnn nnnnnnnn nnnnnnnn nnnnnnnn nnnnnnnn nnnnnnnn nnnnnnnn

I'm not even going to TRY and convert 64 bits into decimal! :D

However, on topic, I'd like to see the DC-6 in MSFS format sims, too... Although I'll probably get it for XP11 before PMDG release it for MSFS. :(

Ian P.

Jafo
December 31st, 2016, 06:40
Oh, I know full well about ram limitations....and 32bit isn't 4gig....it's lucky to be 3 total...including graphics and cpu.

My FSX is 32bit, just as all those instances of PSP are 32bit. Only the OS can 'see' the 32gig....[and 4gig GPU] ... so most times it's the number of image layers in PSP that sees me crashing and burning with memory issues....not FSX...;)

Grandma and sucking eggs and all that....my first foray into computers was in the 60's....Fortran, punch cards and all....;)

ColoKent
January 1st, 2017, 08:56
Here is a slightly OT, but related topic: Does anyone know if the PMDG DC-6 X-plane paint kit textures are nearly identical to the eventual FSX/P3D ones. If that were the case, some of us could start our hand at working on repaints. The main question would be, would the texture mapping be different between the X-Plane and FSX/P3D version. I don't have the knowledge on that to know. Does anyone have an idea about that?

Kent