PDA

View Full Version : Milviz F-86 repaint - 60th FIS Aerobatic Team

scotth6
December 16th, 2016, 01:57
Hi,

I have been re-reading my copy of Aviation Classics - North American F-86 Sabre over the past week and I am really intrigued (and saddened) by the story of the 60th FIS Aerobatic Display Team, and the tragedy that befell them. I am also intrigued by the paint scheme worn by the team, and wondered if anyone has seen a repaint for the Milviz F-86 in this colour scheme. If not I am seriously considering trying it myself, although that will be a challenge as I haven't tried before.

Has anyone seen a colour scheme for the Milviz Sabre like that shown in the picture below?

60th FIS Aerobatic Team - Major James M. Jones, 1/Lt Robert Danell, Capt J.F. Olshefski, Capt Fred Stevens

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2016/12/16/A_Tooby_60th_FIS.jpg

Cheers,

DaveQ
December 16th, 2016, 06:47
I think it says a great deal for Milviz and for the skills of their painters, especially 000rick000, that I saw this photo and genuinely thought it was an FSX/P3D screenshot.:applause: (I take it it IS a real photo.....!)

I've been working on a project for some weeks but would love to have a go at this - looks quite straightforward (i.e., just how I like 'em!!) - but wouldn't be before the New Year.

DaveQ

scotth6
December 16th, 2016, 08:19
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. It does remind me of a simulator screenie also. Amazingly, it is actually an artist's impression from Adam Tooby, who is an amazing artist, as you can see. He sells his art work but also does a lot of illustrations for aviation magazines, and is also well known for doing the art on the Airfix model packaging.

Unfortunately, there are not many good colour photos of these aircraft. There is one of the front of the fuselage. This impression was the only full colour visual of them in the Aviation Classics magazine in which I read about the 60th FIS Aerobatic Team. There are a few black and white photos, but I suppose that the artist's impression is so good that the repaint could be based on that alone.

My problem would be that I can't differentiate what is colouring on the aircraft and what are reflections. For example it looks as if there is a lighter blue colour on the top of the front and back of the wings, but I have a feeling that it is a reflection of the adjacent sabre's blue stripes on the fuselage. As you can see the lead aircraft doesn't look to have the same blue stripes, but has the reflected blue from the adjacent aircraft. In saying that, I'm still not sure they are reflections.

It is a simple scheme but I think it looks amazing. Maybe because blue is my favourite colour. I think it would look amazing on the Milviz F-86.

Just a note also because I didn't mention it before, the article in the Aviation Classics magazine was about the formation of the Aerobatic team and also the tragic short life of it. During a display two of the aircraft collided and 1/Lt Robert H. Danell and Capt Fred Stevens were both killed. After this all the USAF display teams, of which there were many, were disbanded, and only one USAF jet aerobatic team was retained to represent the service; The Thunderbirds.

Cheers,

Mach3DS
December 16th, 2016, 08:49
Wow thanks DaveQ! I would say you're probably giving me too much credit!

That is a beautiful scheme! I dare say if Dave doesn't do it first I'd like to! But like Dave I've got too much going ATM. That said, it is rather simple. I've already got.the metal paint in my personal paint kit down so.this would be a really simple rendition.

That blue is definitely refkection. After reviewing literally thousands of photos of metal airplanes color and B/W, that is the sky tint in the surface of the metal. Well thats my opinion anyway...for various reasons but strictly geometry it's not the color of the adjacent aircraft. I'd you look at the direct reflection of the fuse star reflecting in the aileron it's highly reflective and not softly diffusing over the surface.

scotth6
December 16th, 2016, 17:28
Thanks very much for your reply also Rick. I have to say I also thought of your highly polished repaints the first time I saw this picture. If I was going to do it, I would have contacted you about how to make it shiny.

The other thing I thought was how the heck did Adam Tooby do this with paint or pencils (I'm not sure what he uses). It is just a masterpiece in my eyes, not least because of the highly polished metal and reflections. It is fantastic paint job, and apart from looking good, I think it would be a great tribute to the two pilots killed and the two remaining members who, for obvious reasons, never flew display flights again.

Thanks for your interest Dave and Rick!

Cheers,