PDA

View Full Version : Cpu q

SirBenn21
October 8th, 2008, 02:24
I've been looking into over-clocking before my new MOBO and Cooler arrive and I found something that worries me. Below is a pic of CPU-Z
My detail is on the right. It shows that my multiplier is 6 and my core speed is only 2000 hz. Shouldn't it be 7.5 with a core speed of 2500?

You will notice that the other system is already overclocked.

This is what 3DMark shows

And in my bios it states 2500 MHz

Thanks

Alexraptor
October 8th, 2008, 02:50
Thats normal, many motherboards these day come with a throttling system which lowers the multiplier when in idle or performing normal tasks like browsing, and then throttles up when you need more CPU cycles.

This does save power but it also has the drawback of making the system less resposive for browsing ect. You can disable it if you want by going to CPU options in the bios and finding an option called "C1E" and turn it off/disabled.

SirBenn21
October 8th, 2008, 03:23
thanks

txnetcop
October 8th, 2008, 03:28
I will be away for a week but if you should need instruction on overclocking any one of these guys should be able to help you. All the new boards are going "green" by including energy saving in the BIOS which can be disabled or set up to be used only at idle.
Ted

Bjoern
October 8th, 2008, 07:50
All the new boards are going "green" by including energy saving in the BIOS which can be disabled or set up to be used only at idle.

EIST isn't exactly a new feature. Even though I've missed out on every Intel CPU prior to the Core2s I'm pretty sure that the old, power hungry Pentium 4s already had that feature.

In case you were referring to EPU4 (Asus' underclocking program) and the likes: This program is not really useful and refuses to run once you set crucial BIOS settings, like VCore, FSB, etc... manually.

I think the best way to conserve energy in the first place is going for 45nm CPUs and GPUs. They'll use just as much or less energy while having loads and loads more power.

Alexraptor
October 8th, 2008, 07:52
Ideal if 45nm GPU's existed :icon_lol:

Bjoern
October 9th, 2008, 05:17
Urm...well...:redf:

Okay, 45nm GPUs aren't due until next year, but you can already get 55nm GPUs, which happen to have the same advantages over a 65nm GPU as those manufactured in 45nm. ;) :d

Alexraptor
October 9th, 2008, 08:18
My 9800GTX+ is a 55nm Chip! :d

Bjoern
October 10th, 2008, 08:15
My 9800GTX+ is a 55nm Chip! :d

That's why it isn't an 8800GTX. ;P :d