PDA

View Full Version : microwave blew up

Ickie
December 2nd, 2016, 14:39
last night i made pop corn in the microwave and when it was almost done kboom anananan
I kinda blew it off thinking it musta been something on tv, lol
well 4 pm tonight I started it BLEW UP :pop4: It was 10 years old a deluxe model.

I went to walmart and got a deluxe model the same size on sale today for me, $63 + $6 for 2 year warranty. I had a special cupon from them normally this model cost $125

Henry
December 2nd, 2016, 16:55
ELECTRONICS ARE SO DISSPOSBLE NOW:redfire:H

Panther_99FS
December 2nd, 2016, 17:17
Ron,
Ya' know that you're NOT supposed to use Jiffy Pop Popcorn in the microwave! :mixed-smiley-010:

Ickie
December 3rd, 2016, 02:11
lol my new microwave has a pop corn button:dizzy:

stansdds
December 3rd, 2016, 02:12
These days, 10 years for any household appliance is considered to be a very long life. Most are designed to last 5-7 years at most. Gone are the days when they lasted 20 years or more.

Ickie
December 3rd, 2016, 03:00
lol and these kids think they are smarter then us old ones:biggrin-new:

Ickie
December 3rd, 2016, 04:46
last year I replaced my old stove a 1958 General Moters model, it still worked but was die'ing of old age.

Roadburner440
December 3rd, 2016, 06:11
Only in my early 30's and I agree things aren't built like they used to. The only original kitchen appliance I have is a 1960's Kitchen Aid stand mixer that is very nice, and works like a champ. Just replaced our dishwasher which was only 5 years old (Whirlpool). However the Fridgidaire freezer I got on sale for $800 at Best Buy a almost 7 years ago now is still working like a champ and holding at -2F. So maybe some things are built ok now.

brad kaste
December 3rd, 2016, 08:53
These days, 10 years for any household appliance is considered to be a very long life. Most are designed to last 5-7 years at most. Gone are the days when they lasted 20 years or more.

How true about 5-7 year life span for a electrical appliance. However, my GE 'under the cabinet' microwave has been going strong since 1986. It's gotten decent usage over the years,...mostly for heating up frozen food or microwave popcorn. Unfortunately,...GE stopped making this model years ago. Maybe it was too successful.

n4gix
December 3rd, 2016, 09:20
My late father left me his microwave oven among the rest of his household goods. It is a large one that also had a convection oven feature, which allowed for combination cooking. It was manufactured in 1983, so is now 34 years old!

Several years ago the convection oven part died quietly, but the rest continues to soldier on solidly. I've been looking hard, but have been unable to find an affordable combination microwave/convection hybrid. :dizzy:

Willy
December 3rd, 2016, 12:11
We've got a large chest deep freeze from the mid 50s. It just keeps on going down in the basement. It's outlasted several newer ones.

PhantomTweak
December 3rd, 2016, 21:25
Jeeze, Ickie!
If it weren't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all, it seems!
Glad you could get a new one so quick and easy though. At least that went well for you (knock wood!!).
Here's hoping a new year brings new fortune your way :)
Pat☺

Ickie
December 4th, 2016, 06:40
the new one is so quiet i hardly hear it run, but works great