PDA

View Full Version : Nico Rosberg retires immediately!

Ferry_vO
December 2nd, 2016, 04:35
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127368/rosberg-announces-shock-formula-1-retirement

Formula 1 world champion Nico Rosberg has announced his retirement with immediate effect.
The German beat Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton to the title in 2016, sealing the crown in a tense season finale in Abu Dhabi last weekend.
Speaking ahead of Friday's FIA Prize Giving Gala in Vienna, Rosberg announced his retirement from Formula 1.
"I want to take the opportunity to announce that I have decided to end my Formula 1 career in this moment here," said Rosberg.
"It's hard to explain, it has been ever since I started when I was six years old, I had a very clear dream and that was to become Formula 1 world champion.
"Now I've achieved that, I've put everything into it for 25 years of racing and with the help of everybody around me, with the help of fans and the help of my team and my family and friends I have managed to achieve that this year.
"So it has been an incredible experience for me that I will remember forever.
"At the same time, it has been very very tough also because the last two years losing to Lewis were extremely difficult moments for me, which fuelled my motivation in a way that I didn't even know was possible to fight back and to achieve my dream finally."

b52bob
December 2nd, 2016, 06:47
A shocker for sure. I'm sure that with his F1 salary he won't be in the unemployment line.

even though I like the "prima Dona " Hamilton, I wish Nico luck in the future. He is a great one.

Panther_99FS
December 2nd, 2016, 12:20
While shocking, I totally get it! :wavey:

Massa, Alonso, Button all having 2nd thoughts now?

Ferry_vO
December 2nd, 2016, 12:48
While shocking, I totally get it! :wavey:

Massa, Alonso, Button all having 2nd thoughts now?

Alonso didn't retire, and I doubt Hamilton would like to have him as a team mate again...

huub vink
December 2nd, 2016, 13:35
Perhaps Rosberg knows more than we do. Next years Mercedes might not be as good as this years car :biggrin-new:

There is plenty of new talent available to take over Rosberg's seat. I assume Pascal Wehrlein is the first candidate. He has proven that he has talent is half-German.

Cheers,
Huub

Panther_99FS
December 2nd, 2016, 13:44
I assume Pascal Wehrlein is the first candidate. He has proven that he has talent is half-German.

Cheers,
Huub

Yup,
I've seen his name pop-up before....

Panther_99FS
December 2nd, 2016, 13:45
Perhaps Rosberg knows more than we do. Next years Mercedes might not be as good as this years car :biggrin-new:

Cheers,
Huub

Perhaps!
Lots of folks thought Hamilton had lost his mind when he left McLaren for Mercedes....

TiaCDpilot
December 2nd, 2016, 15:24
Im Pretty sure Button is retired now too, But i do like Rosberg's thought process, the entire F1 circus has to be a massive strain on people and relationships etc.
I think its truly a ballsy move win the championship, retire and go do other things.. maybe we will see him in a SportsCar next year... Porsche or Toyota LMP?

wombat666
December 3rd, 2016, 05:03
Nico has a life outside of F1.
Hamilton has a 'Virtual Life'.
Interesting to see just who gets the drive for next year, all of the decent chauffeurs are contracted.
Pascal Wehrlein is not experienced enough for the 'leading team' yet, but of course, if he were signed on that would suit the 'Little Ballerina' (Sir Jackie Stewart's words) perfectly.
IMHO I doubt Nico will be committing to driving anything in the near future, his decision is a brave one and understandable.
:encouragement:

Panther_99FS
December 3rd, 2016, 13:25
the entire F1 circus has to be a massive strain on people and relationships etc.

You know what pisses me off?
When Michael Andretti was driving for McLaren, all of Europe said he wasn't "focused" or "committed" because he had his wife with him.

Nowadays, everyones wives and/or girlfriends are in the paddock.....Go figure!

wombat666
December 4th, 2016, 01:54
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45038&stc=1

Some people just love PhotoShop!!! :biggrin-new:

Re Michael Andretti and F1, it wasn't so much that Sandy treated each GP as a 'Fashion Event', it was the unfortunate decision taken by Michael to 'commute' between the US and Europe that was criticised.
It was fine for his father to do so in the 1970's (a much less stressful time) but by 1993 there was just too much work to be done between events that Michael missed, unfortunately for him McLaren had a very fast young 'Mikka the Finn' as their test driver waiting in the wings.
I recall him shocking Senna on his race debut in Portugal by claiming pole first time out.
But I do think Andretti should not have been let go, another year and proper application of effort would have paid off, but 20/20 hindsight is always wonderful.

b52bob
December 4th, 2016, 05:30
Does anyone have the address for Mr. Woff? I would like to send my resume for the open driver position.

i am easy to work with and don't wear tutus. I think I would be a fine fit as a driver for next years car. If I can have a house in the south of France I won't commute either.

Thanks to all.

Bob

Panther_99FS
December 4th, 2016, 08:23
Someone give Alexander Rossi $20 million in sponsorship quick! :mixed-smiley-010:

The above comment was sarcasm but also with a hint of seriousness to. If you start with Michael Andretti, Scott Speed, and now Rossi, it's incredible that not one American company has given them any substantial amount to drive in F1! C'mon...Surely some company can muster 5-10 million...:banghead: