PDA

View Full Version : Tech Guru Question ?

T Square
November 30th, 2016, 18:26
This is kind of off subject but here goes: The wife got me a new computer for an early Xmas, I was thinking is there a way to transfer data from my old computer to the new one, need opinions I googled and one option is a cable USB to USB. Cable and program run about $30.00 bucks. Anybody ever use it ? Other question is if current computer is "buggy" will coping to new computer make that one "buggy" as well ? New computer is latest Win10 old computer was updated from Win7 to Win10 (and has been "buggy" ever since). Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated very much.

glennc
November 30th, 2016, 19:58
T,

It might make a difference if you defined "buggy". In general, if you are moving only data files, things like photos, videos, letters, family accounting files, there is little to nothing that could cause any problems on the new computer. You should reinstall any software, including FSX and any add-ons from the original media. I did something like that a few days ago on a new secondary laptop. There wasn't a whole lot on it to move. I moved the files with a flash thumb drive (I have a bunch of them) but an external USB drive would have been just as good. I had one of the USB-USB cables a few years ago but couldn't find it. I also bought some new licenses for relatively inexpensive software.

Hope that helps,

Glenn

zswobbie1
November 30th, 2016, 21:16
I agree.
Just re-install your software. Copying across could be problematic, as the programs write to the registry.
Maybe get a resonable sized portable drive (they are pretty cheap now) & then copy & paste your stuff across via that.
Do not forget the sim folders in 'My Documents'!

rvn817j
December 1st, 2016, 03:52
As indicated in a previous reply, you can copy data of many file types (e.g., .pdf, .doc, .bmp, etc., etc.), but you are going to have issues with executable files that are registered (e.g., .exe). Your "new" computer has to register those executable files and the best way to do that is through the process of installing them on that computer. If you are using the same OS, i.e., Windows 10, on your old computer, you might try imaging you hard drive (except don't image the OS) using a program like Acronis or something similar. If, however, you were running an older OS on your old computer, you will experience problems with imaging. You can always try it, but keep backups of everything.

I'm in the process of expanding an SSD because I ran out of space. I will buy a larger SSD and image the old one on the new / larger SSD. The new SSD will, however, be running in the same computer with the same OS. I don't expect any issues, but gremlins have a tendency to pop up!

Google is your friend. (When searching on Google, besides looking at "imaging a drive" you could also look for "migrating an HD to an SSD" for example.) Good luck.

scotth6
December 1st, 2016, 05:20
I would definitely recommend basically starting from scratch on the new PC. Back up and move any storage files and products such as zip and rar, pdf, photos etc. Only transfer installers though. Don't transfer program files that are installed on your old PC. It's not even a question of files you transfer being buggy, your new PC will run much smoother if you start from fresh with your Operating System, sims and everything else. Don't leave behind anything you want to keep, but anything that needs to be installed should be installed on your new PC.

T Square
December 1st, 2016, 05:56
It might make a difference if you defined "buggy".

Glenn

When I say "buggy" frequent program freezes and lock-ups, no one particular program just random. I have found that starting "Task Manager" usually clears them, rarely do I have to reboot. Two things I'm trying to avoid is setting up my internet, and reloading FSX. I have quite a few payware scenery and Aircraft files that would be a real pain in the "bottom" to reload, however I wanted to explore all my options before I make the jump to the new PC, that and my memory ain't as sharp as it use to be so sometimes things get lost in the transition, but if starting from scratch is the best option then this is what I will do.