PDA

View Full Version : What would be the best choices to run CFS2 on a new pc?

kelticheart
November 25th, 2016, 02:50
A good day to everybody!

After all the hardships I've been through this past summer, I've decided to gift myself with a new pc for Christmas, since my old one kicked the bucket just a few days before I left home to go to the hospital.

I know this subject was recently brought up by other members in the past few months: a link to those old threads would be appreciated as well.

I only want to know what class of processor I should be looking for; how much RAM, what kind of graphic card and how much video-dedicated RAM should be installed on it? I've always been very happy with AMD-(originally ATI) Radeon graphic cards performance and durability. I will be running my still very good LCD Philips Brilliance 19"monitor, still in 4/3 mode, therefore fully compatible with early cockpit panels.
What OS I should install?

Obviously, I want to have a CFS2-dedicated machine, to take full advantage of all the beautiful scenery packs uploaded here in the last years or so. Not to speak of all of the marvellous campaigns/mission packs and new aircrafts available.
a WHILE ago I was told that Win7 allowed to run XP-era programs in a fully XP-dedicated window, much like the old DOS windows that were available in the early Windows versions.
I was thinking to run CFS2 in a full 64-bit XP window: did anyone try this option? Did it work?
Furthermore, I am looking for a full-fledged desktop pc, not a laptop.

Thank you so much for any suggestion directing me to a satisfactory purchase of a new rig.

Thank you also very much for all the very kind words of encouragement you all posted here. Thank you for all of your prayers as well, it was a big help.I am sorry I was unable to reply because the place where I had surgery and the ensuing convalescence period I was had no Internet points available to the general public. To be honest I was only able to read them only recently, but THEY HIT THE TARGET! The various doctors involved in my case, all told me that waging a tough psychological battle against the disease, is usually very successful towards a healing process. I, by no means, want to give up nor give in to it: I'll fight against it with all the energies I have!
Since two days ago, I am back to my old job, with a pc, a lightning-fast wide band connection and no limitations to connect.

I wish you all a nice weekend!
Stefano 'Kelti' :wavey:

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
November 25th, 2016, 03:51
Welcome back, kelticheart.

I use a windows 7 64 bit pc. You can use cfs2 as the administrator as it is compatible.

Of course, I do not have a dedicated cfs2 computer as my pc is my everyday computer. but let's see if there are other suggestions.

wolfi
November 25th, 2016, 06:33
Welcome Back, Kelticheart!

I run* CFS2 on windows 10 64 bit without problems (*as Administrator) the only issue I have, the preview Window for aircraft, ships, vehicles and objects doesn’t work. And it’s better to install CFS2 not on drive “C” because Windows 10 will always ask when you try to change something.
And it’s really nice to see you back!

Wolfi

No Dice
November 25th, 2016, 06:50
Great to see you back Kelti

baldy
November 25th, 2016, 07:19
Great to see you back - I use windows 7 home premium 64 bit -- I have three cfs2 installs on an external drive -- all works fine

baldy

gius
November 25th, 2016, 09:20
Welcome back Stefano!!!!
I'm very happy to see you here again!!!!!!
If you are interested, i'm working to a skinpack for the Breda 65 by Bismarck13 and for Giuli's Fiat br20, according to your suggestion....
Sono molto CONTENTO che tu sia ritornato!!!!
Giuseppe

Captain Kurt
November 25th, 2016, 10:18
Kelti

Yesterday was Thanksgiving in the USA, and we have something to be thankful for -- to have you back and mending.

:wavey:

misson
November 25th, 2016, 12:12
I am happy that u are Ok Kelticheart!
Welcome back!
Cheers
Mario

Devildog73
November 25th, 2016, 14:27
Stefano,
Great to see you back online in the basement again!! :encouragement:

I am running a 2.4Ghz Intel duo core processor, 6Gb RAM, 2Gb nVidia GeForce video card on Windows 10 X 64 bit. My machine never goes under 50 FPS during massive amounts of aircraft, ships, and flak with all of my graphics sliders on MAXIMUM.

As Wolfi said, just do not allow Windows to install to C:\\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2. (Default).

I have mine on C:\BPF\Combat Flight Simulator 2. AND C:\Combat Flight Simulator 2. AND C:\ETO\CFS2. and C:\PTO\CFS2. and C:\MTO\CFS2. You get the idea....:biggrin-new:

Also, and this is VERY important: You do better to get the smaller CFS2.exe NO CD. When Windows sees the original CFS2.exe it causes all kinds of problems. It ignores those problems with the NO CD CFS2.exe. (and saves your install disks).

Hoping to get to Europe for Christmas and down to Italy to look in on you.

Lee

Rami
November 25th, 2016, 15:39
Stefano,

I think others have outlined specs pretty well...I am thrilled to see you posting again! :biggrin-new:

bub
November 25th, 2016, 15:55
Stefano,
Glad to have you back and posting again. As the "Capt." said, we have something to be thankful for. Stay well.
Bob

kdriver
November 26th, 2016, 04:24
Welcome home Stefano!

Great to see you back in the saddle.

You should be able to obtain an affordable desktop computer which can run CFS2 with ease. A higher end ATI or NVIDEA card should render beautiful pictures.

I'm using an I7 3.5 Ghz CPU with 16 GB RAM on Windows 7 64-bit operating system. The only issue with that OS is it doesn't like aircraft panels with more than one 1024 X 768 bitmap.

As you mentioned, you need XP to run a few of the older utilities.

Have a good weekend and get back to work now!

All the best,

Kevin :ernaehrung004:

UncleTgt
November 26th, 2016, 07:56
:jump:woo hoo, welcome back Stefano!

:applause::triumphant:

highpockets
November 26th, 2016, 15:00
Kelti
Captain Kurt is right.
Thanksgiving Day is a day of Thanksgiving and we are thankful you are back . Ease in my friend!
I am not much help. I am running a separate Dell desktop with XP and my CFS 2 theaters.

miamieagle
November 27th, 2016, 05:14
Good to see you are back.:applause:

The B24 Guy
November 27th, 2016, 12:17
Good to here from you Kelti.:encouragement:

Regards,
B24Guy

SPman
November 29th, 2016, 18:42
Stefano - good to see you here again.

Building new for CFS2...... an i5-6600 processor should be more than adequate - it's a 4 core and sips the power, with 8/16G of DDR4 RAM. I like Nvidia GPU's, and, with the release of the 1000 series, a good Nvidia GTX970 should be reasonably cheap these days with plenty of graphics power. OS - I'm finding W10 Pro is OK - subject to the provisos others have mentioned, otherwise W7 is still fine. Oh yes - if buying new, try and get, for your boot drive at least, an NVME M2 SS drive...eg - Samsung 950 Pro. Amazingly fast! Read speeds of up to 2,500MB/s. On my new(ish) laptop with 4 hard drives, I expect to be working, 15 secs after I turn it on! I guess, it just depends how much you want to spend.

Archive1
December 1st, 2016, 12:28
Wonderful to see you back. Your absence left a big hole in this community.
Re: computer - just put together a new one that is great with CFS2 (and FSX):

Intel Core 7 4790K 4 GHz
Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB DDR3-1600
NVidia GTX 2GB
Sandisk 512GB x400 SSD
Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 motherboard

Running Win7...had problems with Win10 crashing CFS2, so went back to Win7 with no problems.
Archive1

brad kaste
December 1st, 2016, 14:39
So good to have you back Kelti where you belong. You've given the best Christmas present to the flight sim community here,......you're BACK!!!!!

skylane
December 2nd, 2016, 10:41
Welcome back, Kelti!
I'm glad to see you here again!

Worthless
December 2nd, 2016, 16:03
I don't know how I missed your Nov. 25th post till now. Let me add my heartfelt delight to all of the above comments. It's great you are back.