PDA

View Full Version : New member, reporting as ordered!

Backstop
November 20th, 2016, 12:30
Hello, from the Pacific Northwest.I've been a PC flier since the SubLogic days of 1985 or so, and have kept updating along the way through the numerous MSFS releases while seeing third-party developers come and go. Being from Seattle and having strong ties to Boeing throughout my family, I am an airliner nut and spend most of my FSX time with the PMDG 777-300ER. I am a former Navy "brown shoe" of the 80's, however, and found myself in the Missouri Guard during the early days of Iraq, so while airliners really do it for me (I can't wait for the BLACK BOX A330Neo!!!), I do have a soft spot deep inside for military aircraft of all eras - particularly of the Cold War. I don't belong to many sim forums so I hope that suffices for an introduction. One aircraft I have been spending time with lately is the Milviz F-4E. I spent some time with the Phantom in the Navy (if anyone is familiar with NAS Norfolk in the 80's, you know where the F-4s were (you had to know where they were)) but always loved the F-4E of my Air Force brethren. Being right up next to a Phantom, they look as though they are doing twice Sound just sitting still. I am writing with the hope that someone with the time and talent of repainting might find interest in creating F-4E 68-0338 of 131 TFW, St. Louis, the historically significant, "30 Years of Phabulous Phantoms" for the Milviz4E. I have an unbuilt, 1/32nd scale model of that aircraft and would be happy to scan the decal sheet at Hi-res if that would be of any help.There are many numerous, significant, and outstanding F-4 schemes from its many years of service. I guess I am thinking it would be such a winner to have the 30-year bird on alert.I recognize a thread exists on the topic though it has been roughly a year since a posting so I thought I should begin another.I look forward to browsing the Outhouse and hope to learn a thing or two about just how the TacPac expansion works. Regards,Tom

Cees Donker
November 20th, 2016, 12:40
Welcome!

:wavey:

Cees

Backstop
November 20th, 2016, 13:14
Thank you, Cees, glad to be onboard.
And thanks, to Paul, for the quick, member+ upgrade! Glad to be bumped from coach to business class!

Backstop
November 20th, 2016, 13:31

Backstop
November 20th, 2016, 13:35
Well, hmm.

I attempted to load a couple of relevant images of 68-0338.

Ickie
November 20th, 2016, 13:59
welcome to the club.:encouragement:

jpmouse
November 20th, 2016, 14:06
Welcome, Tom! Happy Flying.

JPMouse

Flyboy208
November 20th, 2016, 14:13
Welcome aboard ! Mike :wavey:

Jafo
November 20th, 2016, 15:20
Welcome...;)

stovall
November 20th, 2016, 15:32
Welcome Backstop, you will find a multitude of information here from some very knowledgeable folks. Don't forget to check out the Warbirds Library for some super downloads.

Stinger
November 20th, 2016, 15:51
Welcome aboard Backstop
*Salute*

Backstop
November 20th, 2016, 16:05
Thank you, all, for rolling out the welcome mat!

I'd imagine I will lose my head up in here amongst the trove of info.

Now if I can just break formation and crab into the wind of approaching the reality of yet, another work week!

Tom

THibben
November 20th, 2016, 18:53
Hi Tom,

Welcome to the club. I spent my whole career at Boeing in flight test. I have been into flight simulators since they first started back when they were white lines on a green background.

I am now living in Lacey. I assume you are in Seattle.

Once again, welcome.

Tom

PS: We have two things in common. Flight sims and name...grin

Ian Warren
November 20th, 2016, 18:53
Hi ya Backstop, looking at the decal sheet there, I see the aircraft, the Phantom is as new at 1988, that must have been a complete rebuild?

roger-wilco-66
November 20th, 2016, 23:09
Welcome Tom! I'm sure you will love the SOH crew. Lot's of good people around here.

Cheers,
Mark

Dimus
November 21st, 2016, 00:23
Welcome Tom!

I have made a 1:48 scale Hasegawa kit of this Phantom in my teenage years. I would take it up but as I can not promise delivery I will leave it to someone more talented and dedicated painter. If noone does it after a while I may step in.

Daveroo
November 21st, 2016, 05:47
Hi Tom :wavey:,welcome to the SOH,you will like it here,good bunch of folks here.helpfull ,freindly,fun,,there are squabbles at times,but they work themselves out quickly. :encouragement:

Backstop
November 21st, 2016, 08:59
Again, thanks, for the welcome aboard!

I spent the better part of the night browsing SOH and must have fallen to sleep around midnight. It's pretty incredible to imagine the sheer volume of information in this forum - notwithstanding, the downloads!

Tom, yes, I am in Seattle. Well, specifically, Renton. I grew up in Seahurst and while you were in Flight Test all those years, my dad retired from the wind tunnel. I'm guessing you'd know Kenny Higgins. His dad, Paul, was an aerodynamicist and worked with my dad as he was also. You may also know John Creighton and many others. Pretty close community around here.

Thanks, to all, for the greetings and thank you, to those who express even a potential interest in coming up with the skin for 68-0338!