PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Earthquake

dharris
November 14th, 2016, 05:52
Just wanted to say that I heard from our member Ian Warren last night and he said he rode out the quake okay. Lot's of after shocks but so far he is doing okay. Keep him in your thoughts, please.

stovall
November 14th, 2016, 06:00
Thanks for the heads up. Definitely will be thinking of Ian. Living in California increases my concerns for Ian.

dharris
November 14th, 2016, 06:34
You are welcome, they have had quite a few after shocks, 2011 quake leveled a good portion of Christchurch, this was a ways past the city so they were lucky so far.

ce_zeta
November 14th, 2016, 09:36
I am glad to read that, Thanks dharris for the information.

roger-wilco-66
November 14th, 2016, 09:42
Glad to hear he's OK, thank you for letting us know! I was already worried about out NZ friends here.

Cheers,
Mark

huub vink
November 14th, 2016, 10:58
Thanks for passing the message. Its good to know he is okay.

Huub

PhantomTweak
November 14th, 2016, 11:26
Glad he's OK!
I grew up in a house 30' from the western edge of the San Andreas, so I'm familiar with the Earth's little jigglies. They even had a good rumble when I was on det to Clark Air Base, before Pinatubo buried it. Beautiful base. Great food at their chow halls too.
Hope he stays ok. Those after-shocks can be pretty big.
Pat☺

Ian Warren
November 14th, 2016, 11:37
Hey guys Thanks for thinking of us and Thanks Don, almost the entire country felt it, smack on midnight the quake lasted for 2 minutes but was rolling least 1 and half minutes afterward. It was very very fortunate it hit a rural area , the Geo scientist said it had 30 time more energy than the 2011 Feb Christchurch quake ... they are say it was two earthquakes in one, basically two tech plate fighting each other, unfortunate and fortunate only two died ... Wellington had superficial damage , had that gone off under a major city it would have been catastrophic.

As I said to Don yesterday morning, I was looking at some new New Zealand Photo Real Scenery http://windowlight.co.nz/godzoneWP/ Dunedin , the shakes starts , I just look shoulder and say "Ladies and Gentlemen, Sorry we have run into a little turbulence, please tighten your seat belts" :encouragement:

dharris
November 14th, 2016, 11:53
Glad to see you have not lost your sense of humor! After all these years that I have known you, you always come up smiling. Still loving the paintings you have done for us, a nice connection to you for sure. For those of you that have not seen Ian's work take a look at my avatar, it is one of the paintings he did for me. Take care Ian, and keep your head down. (Mom, says Hi!).(Inside comment)

Ian Warren
November 14th, 2016, 12:28
Thanks Matey , Guys I'm very fortunate to own my little Pillbox come Art studio come Bungalow come Mancave, small and very strong ... the biggest thing is not having the weight of a roof , they can weight ton's .. six primary beams, a tin roof, so when it rains that can send ya of to sleep and the insulation is my four walls of aircraft and navy books , one flightsim wall .. course just to finish me off a nine foot tall 'Space Shuttle' directly in the middle ... when we get the quakes, that starts a wobbling like its on the pad with engines go :untroubled: (Hi Mom)

mrogers
November 14th, 2016, 12:54
I'm OK here. It was huge quake, the shaking went on for a long time. My house seems to be ok, no damage.. but some doors were found half closed ,some items toppled, next day I noticed the wall pictures were all tilted so I rearranged them this morning. It woke me up at midnight, 12.04am to be precise, and scared me. I thought, oh, thats a quake...it will stop shortly...but it went on and on and got bigger and bigger and by then I realized it was a big one. I wasn't wearing my hearing device at the time, but other people told me they said the noise was like a freight train. I wish I had put it on so I would've heard it!!!
Anyhow, the damage is big in other places around NZ. Cracked roads, ground split and moved 2 meters in opposite directions, big slips, seabed raised dry on the east coast, and on and on. On top of all this, heavy rain with flooding in places.

Ian Warren
November 14th, 2016, 13:10
@ mrogers That's the big thing now, with all the clean operations and repaired, we then get bad weather just to make it miserable , I saw the footage in Nelson, that was going for it, speaking to other across the country, was their first taste of a Quake, many international tourists in hotels in Wellington were at a loss for a place to go, so they opened up the NZ Gov's Beehive building specially EQ built and housed and kept people safe happy and fed , Breakfast in the morning, .... the damage tho is incredible, a new reef appears of the coast, even the main railway track snake of out of a tunnel and cross's state Hi-Way 1 ... something really did go BANG!

Anthin
November 14th, 2016, 13:39
Glad you are OK.Things can get pretty rough
across the ditch,earthquake wise.

Anthin...

Daube
November 14th, 2016, 13:59
Glad to see you guys are ok.
I saw some pictures of the quake and its effects (damaged roads) on the news, it's quite impressive, especially the duration.

Ian Warren
November 14th, 2016, 14:44
Glad you are OK.Things can get pretty rough
across the ditch,earthquake wise.

Anthin...
I know Australia was not known for earthquakes, but the Fire Yes that must get hot .. , I labeled 'Auckland' the volcanic center, 'Wellington' as the quake center and 'Christchurch' safe as houses center ... Whoops! we seemed to take the prize on that one as well, we did get some volcanic activity on Banks Peninsular after the Feb 2011 quake, another bag of 'chocolate pineapple lumps' for us.

Ian Warren
November 14th, 2016, 14:53
Glad to see you guys are ok.
I saw some pictures of the quake and its effects (damaged roads) on the news, it's quite impressive, especially the duration.
I was just speaking to a good friend , well retired and just for a hobby and a little money mow's the lawns for some neighbours , on the night he ZZZZ'ed out around 10.00PM and woke on that time midnight ... Ole Jim said to me, "Oh BUGGER IT I'll just ride this out in bed" ... one thing he did say was the length he thought it was not going to end .

PS : may have to adjust my Avatar signature again , from 'Christchurch' and back to 'Wobblyville' :encouragement:

n4gix
November 14th, 2016, 15:00
What I want to know though, have those poor cows been rescued yet? According to one article I found they have been rescued...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/nz-earthquake/86460020/whats-happened-to-the-cows-stranded-on-a-quake-island

I'm glad to read that our friends are safe too!

gman5250
November 14th, 2016, 15:14
Good to hear from you Ian, and very glad you rode that one out. Man...that's a biggie.

Ian Warren
November 14th, 2016, 15:23
What I want to know though, have those poor cows been rescued yet? According to one article I found they have been rescued...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/nz-earthquake/86460020/whats-happened-to-the-cows-stranded-on-a-quake-island

Its a good RNZAF brought those NH-90's ... I'm sure they would be very safe now ... people see that, it will be the first thing to rescue, be done by now, amazing to see how the paddock simply sunk away.

Ian Warren
November 14th, 2016, 15:26
Good to hear from you Ian, and very glad you rode that one out. Man...that's a biggie.
Hey ya Gordon, one I said early in the thread , just shear lucky it was not under a populous center... 30 times the energy of the first Christchurch quake, it would have been one hell of a mess and very hi injury rate.

Jafo
November 14th, 2016, 16:17
Always planned to get over to KiwiLand sometime....the missus has been there twice.....and the last time I was looking after the cats....

Better get there soon....before it sinks....;)

Sundog
November 14th, 2016, 16:42
I'm glad everyone from here (this forum) is OK. I've only been through one earthquake and it was the weirdest "earthly" experience I've been through; especially since I was in Indiana. The epicenter was in Illinois and we mainly felt it because we were in a third floor apartment.

dharris
November 14th, 2016, 16:53
When I was stationed in Japan in 1966, I was having lunch in the mess hall, and noticed I was slipping away from the table, not fast or hard, it was a mild shock, and it was a very weird feeling having the floor move like that. Nothing like what Ian and friends went through.

Ian Warren
November 14th, 2016, 17:26
Better get there soon....before it sinks....;)
I'll get me bike pump out .... I can't swim full stop I simply go to the bottom .. then have the long walk out .. but which direction ?

Ian Warren
November 14th, 2016, 17:33
I'm glad everyone from here (this forum) is OK. I've only been through one earthquake and it was the weirdest "earthly" experience I've been through; especially since I was in Indiana. The epicenter was in Illinois and we mainly felt it because we were in a third floor apartment.
Oooo yeah, I felt one in a forth story just after Feb 11, that is a really weird sensation and close by a window .. the tree's in the park stopped going with the typical NE breeze .. the rest was seeing the dust clouds like exploding bombs , like half the Eight Air Force turned up :adoration: obviously B-17

Jafo
November 14th, 2016, 17:51
I'll get me bike pump out .... I can't swim full stop I simply go to the bottom .. then have the long walk out .. but which direction ?
I can't swim either....probably why I'm on the biggest island on the planet...;)
[though I was born on King Island]

Ian Warren
November 14th, 2016, 17:54
When I was stationed in Japan in 1966, I was having lunch in the mess hall, and noticed I was slipping away from the table, not fast or hard, it was a mild shock, and it was a very weird feeling having the floor move like that. Nothing like what Ian and friends went through.
It is a, gets to be quite exciting but to have some take your lunch away and no waiter ... I would not be paying a tip :encouragement: It is amazing how sedate everything is and one thinks is in order ... good example was my brother Rick was on the other side of the city , he yelled out to a workmate look a fire down the road , workmate Rex yelled run the building coming down behind you .. he then felt the quake .. Rick run across town, his work van was trapped, to my place out west .. word of the next couple of years was 'MUNTED' .

I personal don't get shaken up by them , more intrigued , but many many people simply break down ... and they did run from the city, this BOY .. seems everyone across the country got to understand and everyone really felt it, Greymouth NZ SI West coast all the way to Auckland and Tauranga , south of Christchurch to Dunedin ... but seemed to mellow there, when it first started I thought directly under us but was 90 km (56 m) away .. that was how strong it was.

Ian Warren
November 14th, 2016, 19:36

Looks like the cow's were saved by a very resourceful farmer, the story may end up going virile ... going to be on our 6.00PM TV3 News Hub tonight so like you be looking forward to that :adoration:

Jafo
November 14th, 2016, 19:58
Looks like the cow's were saved by a very resourceful farmer, the story may end up going virile ... going to be on our 6.00PM TV3 News Hub tonight so like you be looking forward to that :adoration:
"virile"?
Won't the sheep get jealous?...;)

Ian Warren
November 14th, 2016, 20:33
I don't know .. "virile"? .. ya pulling the wool over me eyes ... it's 'Ianglish' :encouragement:

TuFun
November 14th, 2016, 20:36

Good to hear, saw it on the news. Interesting that there were only the three cows in that field. I was in SF when the World Series Game (1989) earthquake happend.

Ian Warren
November 14th, 2016, 21:23
:untroubled: Ted , three Moo Moo's on their own Island ... the farmer dug a ramp , have not seen footage, but he did 'the farmer' did say his cows were friendly and happy for the help .. so great end to that story.

Ian Warren
November 14th, 2016, 21:33
Due to the 75th RNZN celebrations due to start , the invited USS Samson is heading into the Kaikoura coast to help out with getting trapped peoples out and fly in supplies , go US Navy :encouragement:

SPman
November 14th, 2016, 22:43
http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/318116/'it's-just-what-you-do-when-you-need-to-help'

Ian Warren
November 15th, 2016, 00:29
Thanks SPman , :encouragement:Footage I have not seen before , yeah ! its a hell of a mess, pleased the three Moo Moo's are home and grazing on flat paddocks.

CanadaKen
November 15th, 2016, 08:56
Hi Ian, glad to hear you rode out the shaking. I spent hours and hours on Facebook Chat with my Kiwi friends in your CHCH area. Stunning to watch the GeoNZ site as the 3.1, 3.8, 4.1, etc quakes
listed every 1 or 2 minutes. Especially Seddon and Kaikoura. Unreal! This keeps up you will all be off the coast of Hawaii by Xmas! :-)

All kidding aside I sure hope it settles down for you and my Kiwi friends on the South Island.

That cows and calf pic was on every news broadcast in Canada. :-)

Looking at your Hwy #1 pics.....that is going to cost billions to fix as is the rail line.

CK

Ian Warren
November 15th, 2016, 10:40
Hey CK not a bad ideal being of the coast of Hawaii .. I like to visit Pearl Harbour :biggrin-new: As for the Moo Moo's footage here had them grazing safely in a flat paddock, from this morning news report.
"In one bright spot for the quake recovery, three cows that were filmed stranded on a tiny island after their field collapsed around them have been rescued (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37984671). The farmer that owns them dug a track and encouraged them to come down."

Ian Warren
November 15th, 2016, 11:10
Stunning to watch the GeoNZ site as the 3.1, 3.8, 4.1, etc quakes listed every 1 or 2 minutes. Especially Seddon and Kaikoura. Unreal!

I checked the GeoNZ again a thought come to me, after the original Sep 2010 Christchurch, it was the same pattern, very strong after shock's then midday Feb 11 , six month later was the killer quake so lets hope we don't get a repeat of that, another thing I noticed , one fault gets aggravated and the EQ's start in another spot , not a ticking time bomb anymore, the fuse has been lit so its going to be where next time?

AussieMan
November 15th, 2016, 13:15
My thoughts are with you and your fellow New Zealanders except for Saturday night in the 4 Nations Final :a1310:.

Ian Warren
November 15th, 2016, 13:41
Arr Pat , I don't watch sport anymore .. every-time its New Zealand kicks butt and Win's again :biggrin-new:

CanadaKen
November 20th, 2016, 20:07
I checked the GeoNZ again a thought come to me, after the original Sep 2010 Christchurch, it was the same pattern, very strong after shock's then midday Feb 11 , six month later was the killer quake so lets hope we don't get a repeat of that, another thing I noticed , one fault gets aggravated and the EQ's start in another spot , not a ticking time bomb anymore, the fuse has been lit so its going to be where next time?

My buddy in ChCh said the same thing....."Big one came later". :-(

I see NZ is a few hundred acres larger now....now that rising seabed is just freakin' weird.

CK

Ian Warren
November 20th, 2016, 20:57
I see NZ is a few hundred acres larger now....now that rising seabed is just freakin' weird.

When the big one hit, my brother was opposite side of the city, I'm in the west side close to airport, during the first strike during the day, Rick was yelling to a work mate, fire down the street ... it come so quick, Rex the workmate yelled out! run the build is coming down behind you .. , with every thing flattened and still moving Rick run to my place .. a good 6 miles in a straight line .. must have broken some records there, then borrow's my mountain bike and bikes another 3 to 4 mile to a Family place .. then checking them OK then bikes out to West Melton to his home another 20 miles West of Christchurch ... now that was a man on a mission!

Ian Warren
November 20th, 2016, 21:01

Yeah , It was amazing to see the local fishing town speaking and with their knowledge and saying it is high tide yet it is low tide and a new reef.

AussieMan
November 21st, 2016, 02:11
Arr Pat , I don't watch sport anymore .. every-time its New Zealand kicks butt and Win's again :biggrin-new:

Ian, what happened to NZ butt kicking other teams. Appears they got theirs kicked well and truly :dizzy: :biggrin-new:.

Ian Warren
November 21st, 2016, 10:56
Obviously mentioned I don't follow the sports anymore but I recon it would have been put down to 'SHAKY BOOTS' :jump: