PDA

View Full Version : A working FSX freeware rocket and missile solution

lazarus
November 6th, 2016, 10:26
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bymd7iALx2FoalFQSWMwY1h6Y0U

44330 4433144332

This is long been a holy flail. How to put together a missile droppable object that goes somewhere and does something when it gets there. For those of us who don't want to buy tac pack, but want a missile solution that is plug and go. I don't know why nobody's thought of this. FSX will drop airplane category objects, and will read an aircraft type FDE, including effects. That's it. The test file is the late war- late 1940's ASM-2 BAT, a service-issue, pioneering active radar homing glide bomb.
Dropped from 13000 ft, it has a range of about 22 nm, and does a good job of replicating a BAT's flight profile. It doesn't home, but it runs straight and predictably, and show on a freeware traffic radar. Using the traffic radar as a bomb sight from beyond BVR (20 miles vis in sea haze) I put the first five bombs with in a half mile of the target ship consistently; so, with practice, you can actually hit stuff. Works on land, or sea, though, like the real BAT, it's easy to loose the missile over land in clutter. It's minimum range is about 3.5 NM from 6000ft drop, it needs a minimum 6000 ft to get flying.
I even launched a Skybolt just south of Sicily from a B-70 at 50000 ft/ M=2.5, that peaked at 168000ft apogee, and impacted ten NM off Benghazi-rattled some clackers, that!
44334 Skybolt needs some working on to fine tune the flight model and some tailcone animations.
BAT, however, is wanting testing to make sure the solution works for everybody. Uses default effects, and effects from Chris Skyes weapon pack, you can get that at simviation, FSX, misc; and it's got all kinds of tasty missiles in it.

PhantomTweak
November 6th, 2016, 11:11
I will do what I can to try it out! I've been looking for a weapons pack that can fire a AIM-7, AIM-9, AIM-120, GBU, all that good stuff available for the F/A-18. If this works as advertized, then YEEE-HAW! It's a step in that direction :)
I don't buy payware. Can't afford it. But this looks like it will be just what I need. Thank you!
Pat☺

lazarus
November 6th, 2016, 15:16
Super. 150kts at 13000 -15000 ft gives 22-25 nm range. Its a glide bomb, too, so it drops a ways, accelerating, then slows in the last couple of miles while descending.
Just tweeking models and FDE's for AGM-142 Popeye, Marte(Chris' models)l, Skybolt and 11.75'' tiny tim's. The solution should work for all kinds of airdropped stuff- LAPES loads come to mind, or air launched minuteman from a C-5, or a flying pig farting green smoke rings, ASATs; Firebees and drones, too. A straight running torpedo with detonation on an effects controller should be possible, too. But stuff like JDAMS, Bullpups, cruise missiles are doable, it looks like. Even ALBM's, within the limits of MSFS- it doesn't really do M=20@500000ft on it's own.
Still...not bad at all...if it works for others. (crosses fingers) So far, I've had pretty consistent results, and the objects respond to sim cfg changes. The BATs will sometimes even skip off the water before final impact. Kinda cool.

Josh Patterson
November 7th, 2016, 19:10
Sounds cool, but my big question is...Where does the Helldiver come from? I've seen one at RFN, but it didn't seem to look as nice as yours!

Chris Sykes
November 8th, 2016, 08:27
Do they have to be located in the sim-0bject\aircraft folder? I did try this when creating the weapons pack many years ago but never got anywhere with it hence the implementation I used.

lazarus
November 8th, 2016, 09:47
Hey, Chris;
Nope, the objects go in SimObjects Misc, and are handled as a 'simple object', except the sim cfg category is aircraft. I modified a few things in your weapons pack- Bullpup, Genie and Popeye. Bullpup is fun, about 3 to 15 miles range, can be launched as low as 250 ft.
I'd still like to get these things moving a bit faster. Right now, slower objects, ATGMs, glide bombs and cruise missiles work very well. Genie is interesting. I've got the five mile range, i just need to figure out a high airburst. Low airbirst can be done with an off set scrape point; I'm trying to find if a massive off set (200000) gives a higher offset; I might have to see, if an effects controller would work better.
One implementation that comes to mind for immediate use is X-15's and X-24's for the NB-52 'Balls eight', or shuttle drop tests. With fixed gear points- invisible- it should be feasible to haul a X-ship to altitude, drop it, have it fly a simulated profile and; if you've worked the range and angles right,have it land on the lake bed. Possibilities!
The Hell diver is Wolfi's. As a matter of fact, it'sj ust about ready for testing- which it needs. It's got a number of new models and a bunch of added bells and whistles that need ringing out. Tiny Tims and what not- those are fun!

centuryseries
November 8th, 2016, 11:56
Do the objects show as being attached to your aircraft prior to launch? Do you need to be running a mission in order to see them?

I can think of a use for a project that's been on my back burner for a while :applause:

lazarus
November 9th, 2016, 14:13
The objects only show on the aircraft if modeled. One may add the objects on a visibility condition with MDLX, however. Droppable object from a saved flight, or a mission.

So, here's a few more things to try out. Short range- Tiny Tims 1nm to 5 nm, Bullpup(AGM-12C, one of Chris Skyes missiles with effects added and position adjusted) up to 12 nm (approx), SRAM, Skybolt, Pye Wacket and Hound dog go further and faster dropped from altitude, of course. Pye Wacket and Skybolt may be used at over 100,000 ft, SRAM and Pye Wacket may be dropped as low as 1000ft. Keep some positive G on when dropping to avoid collisions with weapons- just like the real world without ejector racks!.
Bull pup and Tiny Tims minimum alts are about 500 ft.

Aim-54, AGM-142, AGM-12 by Chris Skyes, modded with attached effects and adjusted position for launch.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bymd7iALx2FoT29wTjNLVHdxOE0

44386443874438844389443904439144392443934439444395 4439644397

Results? Yes? No? Don't care? Does it even work for you?

awstub
November 9th, 2016, 17:39
This is all very interesting.

Is the AGM-12 Bullpup you are testing steerable?

lazarus
November 9th, 2016, 20:41
No. All of it is more or less straight running, ballistic arc's. I've hacked at the cfg for a short drop and as much acceleration as I can get.
Note: It's better suited to stuff that falls off the airplane then lights up. I still can't find enough acceleration for 'off the rail' launches, though the short and medium range cfgs have pretty flat parabola's.
But, FSX's ATC engine 'sees' the object, the radar (in the Helldiver- traffic radar 2, I think) sees the object.
Now, it probably needs a gauge in the loop. But, you can still hit stuff with it, and I'm sure fiddling with the cfg and FDE will yield further results. You can do things with it, even as is. And shooting rockets is fun. Load up with Pye Wacket's, do a M=3.0 strategic iron hand...hehehe:mixed-smiley-010:

delta_lima
November 10th, 2016, 21:52
Really looking forward to this Laz.

Moving closer to a viable X-craft/launch vehicle dream I've had for over a decade. Can't wait to see how this unfolds.

thanks for the work on this.

dl

centuryseries
November 12th, 2016, 03:46
The objects only show on the aircraft if modeled. One may add the objects on a visibility condition with MDLX, however. Droppable object from a saved flight, or a mission.

So, here's a few more things to try out. Short range- Tiny Tims 1nm to 5 nm, Bullpup(AGM-12C, one of Chris Skyes missiles with effects added and position adjusted) up to 12 nm (approx), SRAM, Skybolt, Pye Wacket and Hound dog go further and faster dropped from altitude, of course. Pye Wacket and Skybolt may be used at over 100,000 ft, SRAM and Pye Wacket may be dropped as low as 1000ft. Keep some positive G on when dropping to avoid collisions with weapons- just like the real world without ejector racks!.
Bull pup and Tiny Tims minimum alts are about 500 ft.

Aim-54, AGM-142, AGM-12 by Chris Skyes, modded with attached effects and adjusted position for launch.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bymd7iALx2FoT29wTjNLVHdxOE0

Results? Yes? No? Don't care? Does it even work for you?

Im currently building a Lockheed A-12 and plan to have the M21/D21 mothership and drone which was going to be static, but this may give me the option to release the drone which would be cool. Does the missile show as attached to the aircraft before launch?

lazarus
November 15th, 2016, 22:08
Does the missile show on the aircraft before launch? Yes, if the missile model is placed in the aircraft model. Henk's latest set of definitions has a couple of dropable object visibility conditions, though only one assigned per model, apparently. I figured that one out just in time for the Badger update, which has working Kennel's, Kelt's, Kippers, Kingfish and C-201's on the H-6, as well as a RDS-37 for the Badger-A. Tres cool! I whanged a AS-3 Kangaroo into Vlad's Bear to knock up a Tu-95KD-20 Bear-C, too. Now to apply that to the SB2C's.

DaveQ
November 16th, 2016, 00:36
Many thanks Lazarus! Downloaded the missile pack just now. Working on something else at the moment but will definitely give this a go when I can get around to it. Sparrows, Sidewinders and Bullpups would be really good too btw. But just for the hell of it I'll put a Skybolt under a Hustler to start with!

DaveQ

lazarus
November 16th, 2016, 01:09
At present, it's better suited to bomber-type cruise and anti-shipping weapons, but being able to integrate working weapons on the model is sweet. Big thank-you to Henk for putting up with my weird questions and pestering him. Badger and Bear updates gone to simviation.