PDA

View Full Version : video card/memory ?

Daveroo
November 5th, 2016, 07:59
hello,my current pc uses DDR3 memory ,i saw a video card today that has DDR5 8gb memory,are they compatible?..or do i need to stay with a card with DDR3?...also if i were to upgrade to DDR5 memory sticks,would it still work?..the PC i mean.

then i have a ibuypower pc,it has a 4 core amd cpu,with an invidia video card,GTX730,the one im looking at is a radion ,well here ASUS ROG Radeon RX 480 STRIX-RX480-O8G-GAMING 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card,any ideas?,im also going to upgrade from a 350w power supply to a 700 or 850

Daube
November 5th, 2016, 09:02
Don't worry, it's not related.
My computer also has DDR3, and my video card, a GTX970, has DDR5 and it works without any problems.
The only thing you need to check is if your mother board has the correct type of connector for that video card. But since it had a GTX730 (which is recent-enough), it should be fine. How old is your computer ?

Also, you should check if your computer case is big enough to accomodate the video card inside.
High end video card take a LOT of space, they are very long. Sometimes, it's problematic for the cables, or the location of the hardrives etc...
A GTX730 is a very small video card made for office usage. A gaming video card will be more than twice the length and volume of your current video card.

Daveroo
November 5th, 2016, 10:47
ok thanks ,good info.

jmig
November 8th, 2016, 05:23
hello,my current pc uses DDR3 memory ,i saw a video card today that has DDR5 8gb memory,are they compatible?..or do i need to stay with a card with DDR3?...also if i were to upgrade to DDR5 memory sticks,would it still work?..the PC i mean.
...im also going to upgrade from a 350w power supply to a 700 or 850

DDR5 memory sticks will not work on a DDR3 motherboard.

A larger PS will not hurt and can be beneficial.

Daveroo
November 8th, 2016, 07:21
i put in a 1000w power supply,DDR3 memory 16gb,and a ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6gb card.now i have to first wait to move,hopefully on nov 21st,and then to get a new desk to work from,,err fly from.in the mean time i m rebuilding my P3D install bit by bit.

the next upgrade will be to my CPU,if it can be upgraded.

jmig
November 8th, 2016, 07:52
the next upgrade will be to my CPU,if it can be upgraded.

My experience with CPU upgrades is, I always have to upgrade the MB and the memory because they are never compatible with the new CPU.

I think it is a conspiracy between Intel and the MB/Memory companies. ;)

Daveroo
November 8th, 2016, 09:01
My experience with CPU upgrades is, I always have to upgrade the MB and the memory because they are never compatible with the new CPU.

I think it is a conspiracy between Intel and the MB/Memory companies. ;)
lol..thatseemstobethecasehere,iwastoldthatitcouldn tbeupgradedwithoutanewmobo...cantdothatjustyet...l ol

Daveroo
November 8th, 2016, 09:02
where had my space bar gone on the above post?? :dizzy:

Naismith
November 8th, 2016, 09:11
Thathappensperiodicallytomeallsoandamlookingforwar dtotheanswersolution. :adoration:

jmig
November 11th, 2016, 17:09
Thathappensperiodicallytomeallsoandamlookingforwar dtotheanswersolution. :adoration:

I have had that happen too. If you place the cursor at the end of a word, you can then add a space with the spacebar. Weird, I know. But it works.