PDA

View Full Version : REX Worldwide airports released

b52bob
November 5th, 2016, 06:04
It's out. $24 for previous REX customers.

jeansy
November 5th, 2016, 06:35
bare in mind its a 3gb download, it took me nearly 7hrs to download with the demand on the server until i found another way to download

my tip use a 3rd party download accelerator and copy the download link over to it rather than using the internal down loader

once i did that it took me about 5-10 minutes per 500mb

first look

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2016/11/06/Image1.png
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2016/11/06/2016-11-6_0-7-45-48309d69.png

thefrog
November 5th, 2016, 08:16
I'd be very interested to hear what impact it has on frame rates!

johannesl
November 5th, 2016, 09:16
It's probably very nice but practically all the screen shots are of large airports with big terminals, jetways and tugs. Since I do most of my flying around smaller GA airports I'd be interested in knowing more about how it affects these. I can see there is a button for small hangers but it would be nice to have more information about this before I put down my money.

heywooood
November 5th, 2016, 09:22
what johannesl said...and does it replace the payware and freeware small ORBX airport structures? I have paid for those expressly to get away from the default structures but if this program overwrites my purchased goods...well - then it's not for me

OTH - if I could, lets say enter the ICAO codes for any airport I did NOT want to have this program 'enhance' - then I WOULD be interested

dexthom
November 5th, 2016, 10:04
I installed it and found that it did indeed screw up some of my smaller fields. The frames at the large airports take a big hit. I removed it and now I am back to normal.

thefrog
November 5th, 2016, 10:20
I installed it and found that it did indeed screw up some of my smaller fields. The frames at the large airports take a big hit. I removed it and now I am back to normal.

Good to know all that, thanks

heywooood
November 5th, 2016, 10:24
hmm.. maybe a better solution would be to have the ability to enter the ICAO codes of the airports and strips you DO want the program to enhance...

I can imagine that with this blanket approach, anytime you fly in an area with multiple airfields, it is going to try to populate them ALL and drag performance down to the weeds.

I like the idea of this program but maybe my rig is just not quite ready for it

falcon409
November 5th, 2016, 10:45
what johannesl said...and does it replace the payware and freeware small ORBX airport structures? I have paid for those expressly to get away from the default structures but if this program overwrites my purchased goods...well - then it's not for me
According to information I read and saw on the website it only affects default airports. It doesn't touch any 3rd party freeware or payware airports.

dexthom
November 5th, 2016, 10:57
Let's say that you took a default and added things to it like I do sometimes. KJZI for one, it added a group of buildings in the apron path of my AI. I would like to opt out on certain airports.

Anneke
November 5th, 2016, 11:32

As I understood from the feature description on the REX shop the textures range from the default texture size to 4k. So in theory if you choose the default file size it should not effect frame rate.

ncooper
November 5th, 2016, 11:49
I like it, I fly a simulator, not a frame rate counter but see no drop from the locked 31 fps.
This is LHBP, a pretty drab place as depicted by FSX.
It looks like this now.
To my eyes, much improved but each to his own.

https://s19.postimg.org/c9puoumxf/2016_11_5_19_45_1_141.jpg

flaviossa
November 5th, 2016, 12:01
ncooper, did you setup REXWA to use default or HD textures in your image?

ncooper
November 5th, 2016, 12:12
HD textures.

https://s19.postimg.org/cp14hv8ur/2016_11_5_20_4_3_104.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/avy7tjno3/2016_11_5_20_3_24_438.jpg

flaviossa
November 5th, 2016, 12:20
Thanks for the feedback! Will try HD too.

dvj
November 5th, 2016, 13:46
I like it, I fly a simulator, not a frame rate counter but see no drop from the locked 31 fps.
This is LHBP, a pretty drab place as depicted by FSX.
It looks like this now.
To my eyes, much improved but each to his own.

https://s19.postimg.org/c9puoumxf/2016_11_5_19_45_1_141.jpg

But is not every default FSX airport going to look like that? You can't individualize any of the airports. It's a global change only.

ncooper
November 5th, 2016, 14:28
Yes, I think so but not every airport has the same buildings, though they all pick from the same range.
I'm not advertising it here, I like it, many won't, it's a matter of personal choice, like every addon is.

Ian Warren
November 5th, 2016, 20:25
REX HD has done us a real favour gone the old FS9 linked to /FSX/P3D really bring some like back into default texture ... personally BRILLIANT:encouragement:

Anthin
November 5th, 2016, 22:50
I agree.
No frame hits and leaves add on Airports alone.

Well done Rex.

Anthin..:encouragement:

strykerpsg
November 6th, 2016, 01:13
Nick,

Knowing your long time connection with the Orbx team, thank you for all the input on their forums by the way, as Ed had asked, is there indeed anyway they can do something similar with military airfields? While not seeking historical accuracy, something a bit nicer than stock FSX would go a long way toward better immersion. I too am less concerned about FPS but more interested in feeling like I am there.

Matt

Rimshot
November 6th, 2016, 01:25
According to information I read and saw on the website it only affects default airports. It doesn't touch any 3rd party freeware or payware airports.

Correct. The program replaces generic textures. If a developer of freeware airports used generic textures these will be affected. The upgraded airports in the Orbx regions and their FTX Global freeware packages occasionally (partly) use generic textures. These will then be replaced by the REX textures.

ncooper
November 6th, 2016, 13:22
Nick,

Knowing your long time connection with the Orbx team, thank you for all the input on their forums by the way, as Ed had asked, is there indeed anyway they can do something similar with military airfields? While not seeking historical accuracy, something a bit nicer than stock FSX would go a long way toward better immersion. I too am less concerned about FPS but more interested in feeling like I am there.

Matt

Not that I am their spokesman but the answer to that question has always been that they prefer to have access to and detailed photographs of airfields that they model.
There are probably no military installations that would permit that.

strykerpsg
November 6th, 2016, 23:39
Not that I am their spokesman but the answer to that question has always been that they prefer to have access to and detailed photographs of airfields that they model.
There are probably no military installations that would permit that.

Nick, thanks for the reply and I indeed have read similar statements, just wishing aloud because of how much they truly enhance FSX and P3D and hoping you could possibly tickle their interest more than a casual forum dweller.

I think though, with this latest release, it would not be too difficult to add some support for military stylized hangars and buildings. One could then just pair their efforts and engine with Google Earth or similar satellite based program and create close proximities of a particular military airfield. Maybe that's a better course of action and perhaps one that might bring me back into FSX to try and create for myself and others. I guess now the question would be if it's allowable to use their property to enhance an airfield to look more militarized, as long as it was distributed for free and used with their software...

Thoughts or suggestions from those in the know?