PDA

View Full Version : Williams Martini Racing and Lance Stroll - Money Talks!

wombat666
November 4th, 2016, 00:04
Williams Martini Racing has revealed Valtteri Bottas and newcomer will form its revised driver line-up for the 2017 Formula 1 World Championship.

Eighteen year-old Stroll will become the second youngest driver after Max Verstappen to make his F1 race debut next year, the Canadian replacing Felipe Massa who will retire from F1 at the end of the season.

After making his F1 debut with Williams in 2013, Bottas will enter into a fifth race season with the nine-time title winning team after agreeing an extension his current deal.

Coming two years after Verstappen made the headline-grabbing transition from F3 to F1 aged just 17, Claire Williams is confident it has found a talent in Stroll to complement the experience of Bottas.

Stroll's F1 promotion comes after dominating this year's European Formula 3 Championship, a deal that will in turn make him the first Canadian to compete at the highest level of the sport since Jacques Villeneuve's exit 10 years ago.

The Canadian has hailed stepping up at Williams as a 'dream come true' as he aims to fill the role vacated by Massa in 2017.

"I don't think it has quite sunk in yet," Stroll said. "I have been focused on F3 in 2016 and they wanted me to focus on F3 and finish the job properly. It's a dream come true. I am looking forward to getting started."

Bottas has welcomed his new team-mate with open arms after remarking at his continued partnership with Williams having joined the Grove-based squad in 2008 as a development driver.

"I am happy, very happy, very thankful for the team for showing trust in me and my ability," Bottas said. "I feel like I am getting better all the time.

"I feel like we still have a lot to achieve together and we haven't yet achieved what we should. I started here as a test driver eight years ago and it has gone quickly. I want to say welcome to Lance, I am sure we can do great things together."

Williams Racing is set to celebrate its 40th year in F1 next season and is preparing special events throughout 2017 to mark the anniversary.

:banghead:

Ferry_vO
November 4th, 2016, 13:08
• Williams seat rumored to be around 35 million dollar per year.

• Lance Stroll tested the FW36 from 2014 with two 2014 Mercedes engines only built for him

• He already drove in Silverstone, Budapest, Austria and Monza. He will be driving in Barcelona, Abu Dhabi, Austin, Sotchi and possibly Shanghai.

• Lawrence Stroll financed a new simulator for Williams, programmed for Lance to train for Formula 3. It is reprogrammed for F1 now, for next year's FW40. Meanwhile Bottas and Massa had to use the old simulator.

• Lawrence Stroll bought the entire F3 team Prema and the cars where tested in the windtunnel and new software for the engine was developed.

• His father, Lawrence Stroll, has an estimated fortune of 2.4 billion dollar. He owns (amongst others) Pierre Cardin, Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger.

wombat666
November 4th, 2016, 22:54
Exactly Ferry!
And we really need another teen in F1 (not!), especially an entitled 'Rich Kid'.
I've watch some of his F3 races and he's not really mature enough to play with the Big Boys........:173go1: