PDA

View Full Version : Warship Runs Aground

dogknot
February 7th, 2009, 08:08
Oops...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jbdZTVOfhpMNklJUwcq6GePEDEXgD966KHP80

Navy Chief
February 7th, 2009, 08:14
I wonder if that skipper was planning on a job change. Hope so, because I would bet he is going to get one.:gossip:

Navy Chief

Snuffy
February 7th, 2009, 08:48
Gotta hate when things like that happen ...

That damned ground just shows up unannounced and unexpectedly like that.:help:

viking3
February 7th, 2009, 08:51
Couldn't happen near some deserted island, it had to be right out from Pearl Harbor.:help:
It's gonna take a lot of 'attaboys' to cancel out that Oh *****. :kilroy:

Regards, Rob:ernae:

Lionheart
February 7th, 2009, 08:53
Oh man.... Thats grim!

And the Rear Admiral on board as well.... I wonder what happened?

Bill

jmig
February 7th, 2009, 09:36
Oh man.... Thats grim!

And the Rear Admiral on board as well.... I wonder what happened?

Bill

I hear the guy throwing out the depth line then reading the water mark got a text message from that little houchie he had been out with the night before. He didn't noticed the rising ground because he was reading the hottie's message.

Pepere
February 7th, 2009, 11:08
"I'm not going to speculate on what happened,"

How about it ran aground? :caked:

I think this is call "You career is now dead in the water"

A term I heard in the Air Force for people, mostly about officers, who messed up big time.

David :kilroy:

MaskRider
February 7th, 2009, 11:16
Yep, he'll be the toast of the "O" Club tonight! :ernae:

Willy
February 7th, 2009, 12:11
Yep, that's one CO who'll be looking for a new job. Also wouldn't want to have been the OOD or the Navigator either. I'll bet there's a lot of finger pointing on the bridge crew about now.

viking3
February 7th, 2009, 12:28
A term I used to hear after one of these little incidents in the Canadian Forces was "He'll be flying a mahogany bomber(desk) for the rest of his career", probably in Alert or someplace special like that.:kilroy:

Regards, Rob:ernae:

GT182
February 7th, 2009, 12:46
Maybe the Admiral was driving, and the skipper is taking the blame. ;) At least it was a sub doing an emergency blow test and then hit another private boat. :rolleyes: You know, like what happened a few years ago.

But you do know, those reefs are a sneeky lot. They'll confuse the heck out of sonar and then git ya when you least expect it. :costumes:

srgalahad
February 7th, 2009, 14:01
I wonder how long it will take for his address change to reflect his new posting as Bosun's Mate, Adak, AK.

N2056
February 7th, 2009, 14:13
Remember, in the Navy the C.O. of a ship is ultimately responsible for anything that happens with that ship. Even if he had nothing to do with it, he's probably going to be doing something else, and probably won't get another ship command.

Crusader
February 7th, 2009, 14:37
I bet the band will be on shore when the ship returns ready to play for the " Change of Command " ceremony . I had an old Navy submariner who was on one of the last remaining diesels tell me this actually happened when his sub in route to Pearl hit an undersea mountain(Or whatever you call them) and when got to port in Pearl the band was playing and the new commander was ready to take over . LOL:d He said it was in the middle of the night and the captain was in his bunk but it was his responsibility .

Rich

Willy
February 7th, 2009, 15:34
They don't waste time when it comes to relieving a CO for the grounding of a ship. By now, they've notified the new CO of the change of command ceremony.

Collin
February 7th, 2009, 15:45
That close to shore would there have been a Pilot on Board?:kilroy:

regards Collin:ernae:

PS Moderators...any reason for this to appear on the bottom of my replies??

Last edited by grunau_baby; December 19th, 2005 at 14:02..

GT182
February 7th, 2009, 15:52
Nope, no pilot on board. He's on deck with his carrier waiting for takeoff. ;) :costumes:

Actually, I don't believe Pilots were used by the Navy for coming in to or leaving port. But I'm probably wrong as usual. :kilroy:

Willy
February 7th, 2009, 15:59
The Navy does use harbor pilots. They have their own harbor pilot program for areas where there is a a base like Pearl or Norfolk. In other areas where Navy ship traffic isn't that frequent, they use civilian harbor pilots.

Still, even with a harbor pilot on board the Captain is ultimately responsible for what happens on and to his ship.

TARPSBird
February 7th, 2009, 16:39
Running aground is not good. Running aground within visual range of Commander in Chief, Pacific Fleet is even worse. :frown: Commanding Officer is probably packing as we speak. Change of command will not involve a ceremony.

crashaz
February 7th, 2009, 16:49
Looks like there was a Rear Admiral on board too... oh ohhhh :rapture:

PRB
February 7th, 2009, 17:10
Admiral Halsey once ran his destroyer aground (when he was a yound DD skipper.) Or was that Spruance? I forget. Back then it wasn't a carreer death sentence. Now it is. Too bad...

Before WW-II, the submarine service was very unforgiving with such incidents. They wanted a submarine force populated by COs who didn't make many mistakes. What they got was a submarine force populated my COs who didn't take many risks. Law of unintended concequences at work, mayhap...

Collin
February 7th, 2009, 18:01
Excuses required

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=107458#post107458

regards Collin:ernae:

Pepere
February 7th, 2009, 18:47
<!-- end #main-media --><!-- end .primary-media --><!-- end .related-media -->HONOLULU – The Navy is moving fuel, water and personnel off a grounded, $1 billion cruiser so tugboats and a salvage ship can try again early Sunday morning to free the vessel from a rock and sand shoal.
The USS Port Royal, a guided missile cruiser, ran aground on Thursday evening, about a half-mile south of the Honolulu airport.
With less fresh water, fuel and crew, the ship should be 215 tons lighter and easier to move at high tide on Sunday.
Rear Admiral Joseph Walsh, deputy commander of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, says there is no structural damage from the grounding. But a rubber casing around sonar equipment at the bow may be taking in water.
No one was injured when the ship grounded and no oil or other contaminants have leaked.

David :kilroy:

MaskRider
February 7th, 2009, 22:09
Admiral Halsey once ran his destroyer aground (when he was a yound DD skipper.) Or was that Spruance? I forget. Back then it wasn't a carreer death sentence. Now it is. Too bad...

Before WW-II, the submarine service was very unforgiving with such incidents. They wanted a submarine force populated by COs who didn't make many mistakes. What they got was a submarine force populated my COs who didn't take many risks. Law of unintended concequences at work, mayhap...

That is interesting about Halsey running a ship aground- or was it Spruance? ;) I had never heard that. I was always under the impression that running a ship aground- unless under very adverse circumstances- badly charted waters and typhoon conditions for instance- was pretty much of a career killer.

I know that shortly after commissioning the USS Spruance (DD963) ran aground somewhere off the Bahamas in bad weather.

These days with all of the GPS navigation and stuff- even with bad weather- one would be hard pressed to come up with a real convincing excuse. LOL!

crashaz
February 8th, 2009, 07:49
Geez it's not like it's unfamiliar waters there. Hell I could sail around that area I know it so well. Yep I have seen the underwater mesh too.

Hals und Bein Bruch
February 8th, 2009, 11:58
RUN AGROUND??? How long has that island been there..? I pity th' fool..!

MaskRider
February 8th, 2009, 14:26
UPDATE:

After lightening ship (off loading water, fuel and 1/2 crew), calling in the salvage tugs (the big boys) and with the benefit of unusually high tides- they still couldn't budge her this morning.
GOOD MORNING LADIES, GENTLEMEN AND DISTINGUISHED GUESTS.THE OFFICERS, NONCOMMISSIONED OFFICERS AND SAILORS OF THE USS PORT ROYAL WOULD LIKE TO WELCOME YOU TO THE USS PORT ROYAL CHANGE OF COMMAND CEREMONY...

TARPSBird
February 10th, 2009, 06:15
Update to MR's update...
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20090210/D968F0R80.html
The former CO's Navy career is at an end. I feel bad for the crew more than the officers involved, since an incident like this can have a very bad effect on morale. The new skipper will have to hit the deck running and keep the crew focused on repairing the ship and getting back to operations.

cheezyflier
February 10th, 2009, 09:48
Admiral Halsey once ran his destroyer aground

isn't that the guy who invented the water fountain?