PDA

View Full Version : A question about the Milviz Phantom update...

Navy Chief
October 15th, 2016, 07:40
Can't get on the Milviz forum, as forgot password. Sent request for new password assistance, but their email never shows up.

Anyway, just need to know if I need to uninstall my current Milviz Phantom, or do I simply install the update? The exe file is confusing. NC

ian elliot
October 15th, 2016, 09:07
I have'nt got the new update yet but in the past, when ive installed an updated version, the installer will unistall the previous version first, or advise you too, hope this helps.

Duckie
October 15th, 2016, 09:09
Can't get on the Milviz forum, as forgot password. Sent request for new password assistance, but their email never shows up.

Anyway, just need to know if I need to uninstall my current Milviz Phantom, or do I simply install the update? The exe file is confusing. NC

Hey Pete,

If you click on the installer it will automatically ask you to click uninstall. Don't forget to save your config and repaints before you do.

Steve

WarHorse47
October 15th, 2016, 09:13
Every Milviz update I've encountered requires a full uninstall which can be a real pain if you're not careful.

Typically, I copy the entire aircraft folder(s) to preserve any addon repaints or aircraft.cfg modifications. I just make a copy to my external drive. I also make notes on any configuration settings.

The next step is to run the update. You have to do this twice. The first time will remove the prior install if you select that action. The second time will install the latest update.

To get things back to a reasonable setup, you can now reset your configuration settings and reinstall all the addon repaints. Naturally, I load the sim and the updated aircraft to see if things work. Last step is to remove the prior copy on my external drive.

Inasmuch as I appreciate all the work and detail that goes into their products, I sometimes reach a point where I ask is it really necessary. Why fix what isn't broken. Unfortunately, the details on what changed with the update are not obvious. Most changes are for P3D, so they don't affect my FSX install. And as you can see it is time consuming when I have other updates and things to tend to. Your call.

Navy Chief
October 15th, 2016, 10:50
Hey Pete,

If you click on the installer it will automatically ask you to click uninstall. Don't forget to save your config and repaints before you do.

Steve

Well, as usual I forgot to do all that. No problem, except there is a NATC repaint which I do not have the .cfg file entries for. I think Skyhawk18 (Gunnar) did it, but can't see where he posted finishing it, and it is not in the library. I "think" all I need is the applicable .cfg file entry for it... Have checked my almost-organized files, and can't find the original repaint file for it. NC

Update:

I got the repaints confused. I don't think I ever had a NATC repaint for the Milviz model; just for the Simworks one.........

Mach3DS
October 15th, 2016, 11:58
Although the full uninstall is more of a hassle than just a direct copy overwrite, it ensures that ALL dll's and files needed are removed and replaced with the most up to date ones. It allows for the least amount of error for the largest swath of people. Personally I like it because I don't have to wonder if I have the newest. I can simply uninstall and reinstall without a headache. The only problem with keeping say your aircraft cfg from a previous install ( I understand you don't want to lose your livery section) but that file could be adjusted to include updated airfile names and/or a host of other updates that if you don't replace it you will break the install by keeping the old file.

WarHorse47
October 15th, 2016, 12:06
Although the full uninstall is more of a hassle than just a direct copy overwrite, it ensures that ALL dll's and files needed are removed and replaced with the most up to date ones. It allows for the least amount of error for the largest swath of people. Personally I like it because I don't have to wonder if I have the newest. I can simply uninstall and reinstall without a headache. The only problem with keeping say your aircraft cfg from a previous install ( I understand you don't want to lose your livery section) but that file could be adjusted to include updated airfile names and/or a host of other updates that if you don't replace it you will break the install by keeping the old file.A little OT, but I like the approach JF has taken with its latest releases. When their Hawk was first released, they also released two packs of liveries. When the SP came out, removing the initial install only removed specific model and texture folders, leaving the main aircraft folder and addon texture folders alone. Installing the SP was straightforward and they provide an app that rebuilds the [fltsim] sections to include the addon liveries. Slick.

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
October 16th, 2016, 05:34
In this instance the F4 update includes the latest generation MVAMS for the control of loadout , additional control assignments and parked parts such as chocks and reds. Once these are installed the old setup's dll's can cause conflicts if not removed first so running the uninstaller first is required .

With the Tackpack Version the updates uninstall function WILL NOT remove the base folder but will uninstall the previous generation of AMS dll's , TP pilots who are updating only need to run the TP uninstall / reinstall cycle .

The F4 S & J update includes the latest generation MVAMS as well and so running the uninstaller first is required.

Best CJ

( the one who did the installers )

RobM
October 16th, 2016, 07:14
Re Gunnar's paints for the F4J, there's a link on the Milviz forums for 8 of his paints. I don't know if any of those were the ones
you were thinking about:

http://milviz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=6674mase

In case the link doesn't work, the path on the Milviz forums is: Milviz forums -> Aircraft Repaints -> F4 Phantom II Repaints ->
8 F-4J Liveries By Gunnar Van Der Meeren (.zip). The link is in the first post there. I didn`t do a direct link to the download
since I don`t know if that`s allowed.

You don`t seem to be required to sign in in order to download.

Thanks - RobM