PDA

View Full Version : Well, I solved the Direct X issue and got FSX up and running

ThinkingManNeil
October 10th, 2016, 08:40
i had originally installed FSX while I had my security firewalls shutdown and had physically turned off my modem with the idea of protecting my PC during the install, but I kept getting messages saying that FSX was incompatible with the version of Dirct X 9.0 I had. So i updated to 9.0C as per Dave's (dhazelgrove) recommendations but still no joy. After a few days off battling bronchitis, I decided to uninstall FSX and try again, but this time with my firewalls off and the modem up and running. That did the trick - no doubt with the updated Direct X version on board, too. FSX is operational.

But something odd has happened.

Some versions of add-on aircraft are not coming up. Alabeo's PA38 Tomahawk II - a favourite of mine - offers only the blank, unpainted version; none of the other paint schemes that came with the package are available. Same goes with Rick Piper's Aeroprakt A22 Foxbat; it has several schemes available, but only one is available to fly.

I've also noted a problem with trying to edit the aircraft CFG with Windows 7 64 Professional. I used to be able to edit in new skins or make other changes just using Notepad, but in that everything comes up as gobbledygook. I can open using Word, but it won't save properly. Otherwise, it tells me to search for software I'm not familiar with to access the CFG.

I'm sure, with help, I can fix this and get everything doing what it should be doing.

After this, the big project will be transferring FSX and eventually FS9, IL-2 1946 and IL-2 CoD from the 2 TB C-drive to the SSD which is still empty, and then tell FSX and FS9 to go look for the add-on scenery files on the big 4 TB drive I've reserved for them.

This is a great community, and i appreciate all the suggestions and support I get from its members so I can enjoying simming.

Thanks guys,

N.

RobM
October 10th, 2016, 08:58
Re aircraft not showing, did you tick the "Show all variants" box at the bottom of the Select Aircraft screen?

Thanks - Rob

ThinkingManNeil
October 10th, 2016, 09:02
Re aircraft not showing, did you tick the "Show all variants" box at the bottom of the Select Aircraft screen?

Thanks - Rob

"AHA!!!" he says, trying not to look like an utterly clueless waffle.

Thanks, Rob.

N.

ThinkingManNeil
October 10th, 2016, 10:58
Solved the CFG edit issue, too. Transfer it to my desktop, edit as needed in Word, save, then transfer it back to the appropriate aircraft folder. Done and done.

Now to start transferring add-on aircraft...

N.

airtj
October 10th, 2016, 11:47
Try right clicking on the aircraft.cfg and select default program and search for notepad, that should solve your problem.