PDA

View Full Version : Just had to break down and get the ORBX So Cal Scenery...

heywooood
October 7th, 2016, 13:26
oh my..

So I have had Holgers' Death Valley freeware scenery installed forever and used it often but had to tolerate the huge disparity between that beautiful topography and the ..default surroundings.
well No More..
Fine-gally !

In the beautiful GAS Waco QCF-2 from Lone Pine to China Lake

ryanbatc
October 7th, 2016, 13:29
I recently just had to uninstall it. I did a lot of my flying in the urban areas and the scenery just crushes my "dated" i5 2500K @ 4GHz / GTX 970.

But yeah, if you're outside of the built up areas it's awesome!

heywooood
October 7th, 2016, 16:34
I recently just had to uninstall it. I did a lot of my flying in the urban areas and the scenery just crushes my "dated" i5 2500K @ 4GHz / GTX 970.

I checked San Diego on a flight from Gillespie KSEE down past Point Loma and back to Montgomery Field and it dipped to 19-20 FPS near Lindberg Field KSAN..
I have an i7 at 4.2 and a Gforce 670
But - I flew around Ramona and over to Palomar and no problems.

It might be one or two more upgrades before I can use all of this new scenery but mainly I just wanted to improve the areas around the airfields I generally use..outlying fields mostly - and
this pack does that.

Here's the GAS Travel Air near Ramona -

ryanbatc
October 7th, 2016, 16:55
Cool, that's pretty much what I'm thinking... my next upgrade should be a lot better!

heywooood
October 7th, 2016, 17:59
I probably would have held off til next year but I live in So Cal...I want to fly here too, not just in the PNW and Alaska

heywooood
October 12th, 2016, 20:23
in the GAS Travel Air just south of Monterey Regional..

Obie311
October 15th, 2016, 08:52
in the GAS Travel Air just south of Monterey Regional..

Looks like the area toward Salinas. Turn back toward Monterey and fly low and slow over Laguna Seca. If you look real good maybe you can see me camped out with my motorcycle under one of the oak trees.:adoration:

Obie

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43760&stc=1

rdaniell
October 15th, 2016, 09:02
Looks like the area toward Salinas. Turn back toward Monterey and fly low and slow over Laguna Seca. If you look real good maybe you can see me camped out with my motorcycle under one of the oak trees.:adoration: Obie

Man, you must one of those modern day cowboys to get all that gear into those little saddle bags.

Remember the old westerns where the guy would make camp at night and the following morning would have a camp fire with frying pan on it and a pot of coffee on the side. I never could understand where he kept all that stuff because when he rode away, his saddle bags were almost flat....LOL

Probably the same magic as those six shooters that would fire 25 or more rounds without being reloaded.

RD

heywooood
October 15th, 2016, 09:55
Yes Obie - exactly that region, so now I'll have to go back and buzz the treeline there - see if they got the color right on that motorbike..

Stefano Zibell
October 15th, 2016, 11:20
Man, you must one of those modern day cowboys to get all that gear into those little saddle bags.

Remember the old westerns where the guy would make camp at night and the following morning would have a camp fire with frying pan on it and a pot of coffee on the side. I never could understand where he kept all that stuff because when he rode away, his saddle bags were almost flat....LOL

Probably the same magic as those six shooters that would fire 25 or more rounds without being reloaded.

RD

The secret in this case is the backpack!

Nice bike by the way.

dharris
October 15th, 2016, 15:01

I have the same equipment as you and have no problems with fps in urban areas, usually between 21 and 30 fps use can check your fsx.cfg and compare some of the tweaks on line. I don't use them except for the bufferpools=0 and FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.22 also use Nvidia Inspector set-up as per instructions listed here and there for fsx.