PDA

View Full Version : Best "Connie" on the Block?

falcon409
October 5th, 2016, 21:31
I will get this out of the way first because I know someone will want to sing it's praises. . . .Yes, I know A2A is putting another amazing aircraft together in the form of the Classic "Connie". . . .but no, I'm not the least bit interested. Ok, so that's out of the way, now, what would those of you who have any one of the hundreds of variations of the Connie (in freeware form) suggest as the best "basic" version. I don't care about the offshoots, the ones that have a different shaped engine cowl, or have two antennas on the fuselage instead of one, or the one that somebodies Uncle flew for years, nor do I care about the system modeling or complicated startup procedures. I just want a single model of the base Connie, with a couple of additional liveries.

Anyone?

BendyFlyer
October 5th, 2016, 22:31
Falcon, because I have an abiding affection for this aeroplane for a variety of reasons I have over time tried all them including the following version payware and freeware:

Payware : Abacus and JF Just Flight
Freeware or Shareware: The Cal Classic aka the Connie Team (Jahn et al) and the High Flight Simulations for the L 049.

The only one that comes close in terms of a proper shape and careful design is the Cal Classic model and the VC is not bad at all but the systems do take a bit of getting used to but I like the pop up older style windows for FE etc so it works fine. I have binned the Abacus version and the JF version (it was just not right in cross section and looked funny at various angles as well and the EC121 was terrible from my perspective.

I have managed to get all the different versions up and running with judicious additions of VC enhancements, engine sounds etc all of which have improved the aircraft. However I would be honest and say it has been a lot of stuffing around to get to this point over time and some mods and changes (FDE,.panels, sounds, liveries FSX updates etc) or even the liveries are a bit confusing as to what will go with what. Perhaps more importantly the Connie teams version is the only one that does the EC -121 properly and with some of the downloads you can get most variants through to the hurricane hunters. I like them all, the L749, the 1049 and the 1649 but for reason parochial I prefer the Qantas versions and the maritime electronic surveillance versions. But I have also managed to port over liveries for 2004 versions into the FSX versions for reasons of historical interest, so for example I have all of Qantas's paints, BOAC, Air India for example and most of the available USAF USN etc paints as well.

Unfortunately there is no quick one download does it for this machine but the put together is worthwhile. If you let me know what version and operator I can let you know what files to get and combine.

All I can say is that A2A would have to do an almighty job to get me to stop using the Connie Teams version.

I

Daube
October 6th, 2016, 00:01
Falcon, don't you have Prepar3D ?
If so, the Connie from JF is included as a default aircraft.
The external model looks good but not as good as Manfred's freeware Connie.
The virtual cockpit is very good and complete, including the engineer's panel. In Manfred's Connie, at least the first versions from a few years ago, the engineer's panel was not clickable in the virtual cockpit, so it was not possible to start the aircraft from cold&dark from the virtual cockpit, contrary to the JF one.

But from what you describe in your message, you're just looking for a "CTRL+E and fly like nothing can happen" aircraft, so Manfred's one will definitely be the best choice.

Daube
October 6th, 2016, 00:11
All I can say is that A2A would have to do an almighty job to get me to stop using the Connie Teams version.

Almighty would be a bit exagerated.
The Connie team Connie lacks many of the basic features for a modern addon, like realistic engine behavior for example.
The A2A Connie will finally bring some realistic behavior, for the engines and the other systems as well.
Of course, this will mean nothing for the simmers who don't care about engine management.
But for the other simmers, A2A's Connie will be the first one to answer that need.

paulopp
October 6th, 2016, 01:56
But from what you describe in your message, you're just looking for a "CTRL+E and fly like nothing can happen" aircraft, so Manfred's one will definitely be the best choice.

Actually, the MJ Connie WILL PUNISH YOU if you mishandle her: you cannpt simply apply full throttle/full RPM indefinetly or set flaps at any speeds without damaging or destroying hydraulics.

paulopp
October 6th, 2016, 02:15
The Connie team Connie lacks many of the basic features for a modern addon, like realistic engine behavior for example.
The A2A Connie will finally bring some realistic behavior, for the engines and the other systems as well.
Of course, this will mean nothing for the simmers who don't care about engine management.
But for the other simmers, A2A's Connie will be the first one to answer that need.

To do the MJ Connies justice, they are very realistic and advanced. You can handle them according to real-life specs and would have to plan any serious flight carefully. You have to follow procedures precisely if you do not want your engines to quit, you have to shift the blowers in higher air, do step-climbs, watch your fuel, weight and tank configuration closely, as well as lean the engines properly. Performance charts and tank switching plans will be mandatory.

Of course they are not A2A standard, but not that simple either. It has been often criticized that any further "deep" system simulation would simply distract and overburden one single simmer. In real life the captain was ultimaltely responsible, but he did not operate all the systems simultaneously himself. It's of course great to have e.g. cabin pressurisation available, but then the question is, what flight simulation is supposed to simulate: engineering or flying? That's no opinion of mine, I'm just stating what many people think.

AussieMan
October 6th, 2016, 02:35
I have tried The CalClassics, Manfred Jahn and JF Connies. At the moment I have only the JF Connies as they are part of the default package with P3D. Thinking about seeing if the others will work properly with P3D.

falcon409
October 6th, 2016, 03:03
Falcon, don't you have Prepar3D?
That I do, however I do most of my flying in FSX and of course without trying it to see, I assumed that it would not work in FSX.

. . . .But from what you describe in your message, you're just looking for a "CTRL+E and fly like nothing can happen" aircraft, so Manfred's one will definitely be the best choice.
You are correct there Daube and so that is the model I've downloaded. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Back to Flying!!

dharris
October 6th, 2016, 03:50
If you get the Manfred Jahn version, there is a program available that you can see the aps-20 radar in the back of the ec121's, I uploaded the pictures and they are quite accurate. Worked on them for a number of years as flight tech, so know what I am looking at. I think MF's version gives you just enough engine management without being such a load as to be intrusive of the pilot's position. Of all the connies versions, I like Manfred's the best. JF's were alright, but never liked the sound of the engines nor the cockpit as much as MF's

Daube
October 6th, 2016, 04:06
To do the MJ Connies justice, they are very realistic and advanced. You can handle them according to real-life specs and would have to plan any serious flight carefully. You have to follow procedures precisely if you do not want your engines to quit, you have to shift the blowers in higher air, do step-climbs, watch your fuel, weight and tank configuration closely, as well as lean the engines properly. Performance charts and tank switching plans will be mandatory.

Of course they are not A2A standard, but not that simple either. It has been often criticized that any further "deep" system simulation would simply distract and overburden one single simmer. In real life the captain was ultimaltely responsible, but he did not operate all the systems simultaneously himself. It's of course great to have e.g. cabin pressurisation available, but then the question is, what flight simulation is supposed to simulate: engineering or flying? That's no opinion of mine, I'm just stating what many people think.

These features were not present on the earlier version I had tried.
Then the aircraft is a bit more advanced than I expected, which is, for me, a good news. Sorry for the confusion and incorrect description.

Daube
October 6th, 2016, 04:08
That I do, however I do most of my flying in FSX and of course without trying it to see, I assumed that it would not work in FSX.

Well, to be honnest I haven't tried to transfer that Connie to my FSX-Steam either.
But P3D has no DRM, so I'm pretty sure the JF Connie can be transfered to your FSX, provided you don't forget to transfer any files (stuff out of the simobjects folder, like gauges or modules perhaps ? No idea...).

Anyways, since you have dowloaded Manfred's Connie already, this would be useless effort.

falcon409
October 6th, 2016, 04:09
Well, after spending about 30 minutes trying to get the engines to crank and having no luck at all no matter what process I used (and multiple reloads of the sim), I decided to give the P3D set a try and as luck (and my last nerve) would have it, it works just fine in FSX. Apologies to the folks who know the ins and outs of this airplane, it's history, it's classic good looks, etc, etc. It's just another airplane to me. I haven't had one in the sim, nor flown one since the Abacus version was released and I thought that was very nicely done. . .if that tells you anything. So I'll fly the JF Connie for awhile til I get bored with it and then I'll delete it and go back to GA, lol

Aharon
October 6th, 2016, 06:42
Falcon409,

Nobody can beat Jahn's Connies and YES they do work well on FSX!!!!!

You cannot expect to have JUST ONE model with few repaints. Amazing Connies come in few different models such as L049, L749, L1049, and L1649. You will have fun with all of those!! Also many different military models of Connies will be right up your alley too!!!

Regards,

Aharon

mal998
October 6th, 2016, 07:08
Right now my go to ride is Manfred's Super "G". I made a few tweaks to the flight model and had a small issue with finding the right props but other than that it's a really nice model / VC and I am a push over for that beautiful Eastern Airlines skin.

falcon409
October 6th, 2016, 07:43
,.........You cannot expect to have JUST ONE model with few repaints.
Regards,
Aharon
Sure I can. Just need one. Found it. Thanks

awstub
October 6th, 2016, 14:55
Where would someone be able to find this APS-20 radar program?....and which Manfred Jahn version would it go with?

If you get the Manfred Jahn version, there is a program available that you can see the aps-20 radar in the back of the ec121's, I uploaded the pictures and they are quite accurate. Worked on them for a number of years as flight tech, so know what I am looking at. I think MF's version gives you just enough engine management without being such a load as to be intrusive of the pilot's position. Of all the connies versions, I like Manfred's the best. JF's were alright, but never liked the sound of the engines nor the cockpit as much as MF's

PeteHam
October 6th, 2016, 20:32
I have Manfred's Lockheed L-749 & Lockheed L-1049G & H in FSX:SE.

I've tried them briefly and apart from the visual prop issues haven't found any problem thus far.

I'd appreciate if someone could let me know what's a good prop texture please.

Thanks.

Pete.

Anthin
October 6th, 2016, 21:15
I have MJ's Connies and they work in
FSX DX10.Only problem is.There are no floors.I have tried
everything.Moving around the cockpit but no deal.

If anyone has an answer to this I would be very pleased.

Anthin.:dizzy:

Roger
October 6th, 2016, 22:38
I have MJ's Connies and they work in
FSX DX10.Only problem is.There are no floors.I have tried
everything.Moving around the cockpit but no deal.

If anyone has an answer to this I would be very pleased.

Anthin.:dizzy:

Could it be the floors have 8 bit textures? If so Steve's Dx10 fixer, toolbox has a utility to convert them.

Anthin
October 7th, 2016, 02:05
Thanks Roger.Forgot about 8-bit textures.Will try that tomorrow.

Anthin.

Anthin
October 7th, 2016, 02:40
Could not wait Roger.Bingo!

I now have floors.Yeah. After a year in Hospital
I forgot so much.

Thrilled...Anthin...:encouragement:

b52bob
October 7th, 2016, 06:53
I have the turboprop conversion of the Connie. Forget who it's by, but a wonderful plane. Works well in P3D as well as fsx.