PDA

View Full Version : Milton's Spartan converted to FSX

Willy
October 5th, 2016, 05:17
I've been meddling about with Milton's Spartan that was converted to FSX native and that 2x size yoke is starting to get to me. If it can be turned off, I haven't found a way to do it. I can't read but one or two gauges for the thing without moving it around and in flight that might not be so good for one's future health prospects.

Any idea on how to lose the yoke?

falcon409
October 5th, 2016, 05:34
Willy I haven't flown the FSX version in quite a while but I thought there was a click spot somewhere on the panel that removes the yoke.

spokes2112
October 5th, 2016, 05:59
Spoiler ? "/"

Daube
October 5th, 2016, 06:25
I flew that Spartan but I don't remember about the oversized yoke...
Is there any screenshot showing it ?

EDIT: disregard, I found an old screen I did and indeed, the yoke is huge. Sorry.

Willy
October 5th, 2016, 06:46
Spoiler / was no joy nor \ or any other key combo I could think of. But if I "move the seat" up and forward a bit it's more out of the way.

Other than the yoke, I'm quite happy with it.

SpaceWeevil
October 5th, 2016, 08:02
Willy, I'm not aware of any way to hide the yoke but I think the default eyepoint is set too low, which does give you an eyeful of yoke. I find it much better raised about 5 or 6 presses of the 'Eyepoint (Move Up)' key, whatever you have that mapped to. You can either work out the corresponding eyepoint changes in the aircraft.cfg or set it by hand and save the flight. The distance from the panel feels OK to me. Lovely old bird!

heywooood
October 5th, 2016, 08:51
yes I also would move the viewpoint up and to the right..otherwise the YOKE is happening and the nose or upper cowl appears too far over..slight 'banana bend' to the left to my eye...sliding right in the seat seems to mitigate that a bit

The aircraft itself is a beauty and I love the engine sound file..

FYI - this plane has a big Yoke ring IRL...

Willy
October 5th, 2016, 16:30
One of the things I'm doing with it is I've taken the paint kit and am reworking it to suit me and how I sling pixels. It's one of those, the more I do, the more I find to do with it things. A simple finishing up of a paint I started a while back has turned into new metal, panel lines and rivets. But in the process, it's getting a bit more detail than what it had before. Darn OCD

heywooood
October 5th, 2016, 20:40
well I think I speak for the group when I say I sure would like to see a progress shot or two - when you get 'round to it that is

Willy
October 6th, 2016, 05:16
The paint scheme has evolved quite a bit as I've went along as well. I decided that the Spartan fuselage isn't proportioned right for a Gee Bee type scheme, so I took it and made some changes that fit the Spartan better I think.

I'll try to get some shots next time I have it in the sim. Right now what I started with a few days ago is more advanced than where it's at now.

Willy
October 6th, 2016, 09:57
Holding off on the paint while I get the rest squared away. 1st look at what eventually be the bare metal. I just polished up the cowling to see what direction the polishing will need to take.

Darn spinner isn't wanting play nice and polish up.

heywooood
October 6th, 2016, 13:39
looks like a great start though, thanks for posting...much appreciated

looks like most living examples of this aircraft wear a highly polished skin, except where they are fabric covered

Willy
October 6th, 2016, 14:38
There's a couple of painted ones out there. The shiny ones just get more attention.

heywooood
October 6th, 2016, 18:29
well...yeah!..just look at that shiny bullet

Daube
October 7th, 2016, 00:06
The FSX conversion of Milton's Spartan has been one of my very favorite freeware aircrafts for a long time :)
Coupled with the alternative envmap texture from Bananabob, it's such a beautiful plane !

http://sapdaube.free.fr/fsx/daube_image1886.jpg

http://sapdaube.free.fr/fsx/daube_image2107.jpg

http://sapdaube.free.fr/fsx/daube_image2111.jpg

thunder100
October 7th, 2016, 02:11
The FSX conversion of Milton's Spartan has been one of my very favorite freeware aircrafts for a long time :)
Coupled with the alternative envmap texture from Bananabob, it's such a beautiful plane !

http://sapdaube.free.fr/fsx/daube_image2111.jpg

And for its time it was well advanced

First flight March 8, 1936

Boeing Peashooter 20. März 1932

or more close Curtiss Wright CW-19-->1935

Roland

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43575&stc=1

falcon409
October 7th, 2016, 03:36
Briefly going back to the visibility problem you had Willy. I use TrackIR and if you don't this may vary slightly, but here is the setting I use in the aircraft.cfg file as a permanent fix:

[Views]
eyepoint= -.1, -.8, 2.3

I know using the key strokes to adjust will work in the sim, but in your case, you want something that is the same every time you load that airplane and keystroke adjustments are reset every time you load. . .this will ensure that view remains constant. With those settings, this is the view I have looking forward:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/Cockpit_View.jpg

Willy
October 7th, 2016, 06:46
Great Ed! I'm on way to use it! Thanks a bunch!

Willy
October 7th, 2016, 06:54
Ah yes, much better! Thanks again Ed.

doublecool
October 8th, 2016, 04:11
For yoke removal click spot next to compass

however Iam glade Ed posted his new view points

falcon409
October 8th, 2016, 04:37

Well done DC. I posted that first thing, but then when I loaded the airplane and went in to test I couldn't find it again. Hadn't flown her in over a year so I figured I'd gotten it wrong and there really wasn't a clickspot. Phew, glad to know my brain still functions, even if it is on a lower level than it used to, lol

Willy
October 8th, 2016, 05:10

Look Ma! No Yoke!!

Thanks dc! And for those who want to know perzactly where the spot is. To the left of the magnetic compass on the upper center windshield frame. I'm like Ed. I was thinking there was one, but couldn't remember where and couldn't find it in the manual. Now we know!

AussieMan
October 8th, 2016, 05:17
Can someone post the link to the FSX conversion please.

Willy
October 8th, 2016, 08:05
Pat, where I got it from the site is gone. But Roger had it in a package of updates he did that are in the library here.

Speaking of updates, I got a little sidetracked from the new paint I'm doing with some "experimenting" with different ideas on an old one I was wanting to update. Where it used to be white, it's now got nice and shiny bare metal and I added a few details. I kind of like it. I need to find out who did the original so I can ask permission to upload it.

gaab
October 8th, 2016, 09:31
Can someone post the link to the FSX conversion please.

I found it here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=34&linkid=4768

The Spartan Executive was originally realeased for Fs8 and Fs9 by Milton Shupe and his design team. The aircraft was updated with permission, to FsX SP2 as a fully compliant FsX model by Mike Allen Richards and is offered for download with the permission of both parties. Also a selection of repaints are offered in this download which were uploaded here when the FsX Spartan was first released. All the repainters were contacted for permission at that time.

Enjoy - Gérard

Roger
October 8th, 2016, 10:25
Oops...late to this and thanks gaab for posting the link:ernaehrung004:

AussieMan
October 8th, 2016, 16:06
Thanks Gaab.

PeteHam
October 8th, 2016, 17:47
Thanks Willy for bringing this beauty to our attention. :applause:

The Spartan was always a favorite of mine in FS9 and now I've just installed it into FSX:SE and I love it. :jump:

Pete.