PDA

View Full Version : Airfield Design & Editing

guzler
February 7th, 2009, 05:47
Hi guys,

Yesterday had my fist dabble with editing airfields and now I'm addicted !

I used ADE, but have a few questions I am hoping you clever lot can help me with.

1. Most of the objects don't have images, so I don't know what is available to add. Is there any way or other software that I can use so I know what there is to choose from ?

2. I added the runway 12 static scenery objects and activated them, but when I rescanned FSX, it never detected them. Is there anyway of utilising 3rd party items in ADE or do I need something else ? Couldn't get RWY 12 to work today.

Played around with a few airfields last night to the dismay of my missus :argue:

lucas81
February 7th, 2009, 06:12
Hi Guzler,

for object placing I would recommend you Whisplacer 0.9. It is easy to find it via google. Don't forget to download thumbnail images for it as well. The whisplacer allows you to see all the objects via "live preview".

Lucas

JoeW
February 7th, 2009, 07:54
If you go to tools, Library Object Manager, Click on Tools at the top left, Click on Add Objects and then go to the folder with the library you want to add. Click on it and when it stops ...... it's been added.
There will be no thumbnails though. I havent learned to do that yet.
There are some very good librarys in the FSX\scenery\Global\scenery folder that comes with acceleration.

IanP
February 7th, 2009, 08:24
The problem with the "visual" placers such as Whisplacer and Instant Scenery comes when you want to place something accurately or line things up - you can't. Because you're placing the aircraft, not the scenery object, then getting things lined up is practically impossible. They're useful for placing "detail", such as plantlife, benches, barrels, etc. but not really for large structures or similar - for those I would seriously recommend sticking to ADE or an equivalent.

Regarding images, it's a problem, unless the author has set up images with the correct GUIDs, then you have to add each object image individually in ADE. Some authors, such as Ted Andrews, whose RAF libraries I use, have made Runway12 libraries with images in, which can then be used to view in Windows, if not inside ADE, aiding selection of what you want. Otherwise, I can only suggest placing everything, compiling, then going back and deleting what you don't want and moving what you do.

JimC1702
February 7th, 2009, 08:51
No, Instant Scenery allows you to see the ojbect you're placing in FSX so you can place it exactly where you want. It's not like Runway 12 where you place the airplane where you want an object to be.

Jim

guzler
February 8th, 2009, 11:59
Thanks for the help guys, really appreciated. So far jazzed up Bradshaw Int for hops to and from St Maarten and played around with Alf's Canaerfon, purely fictional, but brought them to life and had fun.

Downloading Instant Scenery Demo now and will have a play with that with the view to getting the full set up if I like it.

MCDesigns
February 8th, 2009, 13:24
Thanks for the help guys, really appreciated. So far jazzed up Bradshaw Int for hops to and from St Maarten and played around with Alf's Canaerfon, purely fictional, but brought them to life and had fun.

Downloading Instant Scenery Demo now and will have a play with that with the view to getting the full set up if I like it.

Wait till you start making your own objects, that's where the headaches fun begins! :ernae: