PDA

View Full Version : Heron's Nest Elevation Problem

falcon409
October 2nd, 2016, 07:47
This is an excerpt from a January thread in which "Montie" was seeing an elevation problem with the runway area.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Montie . . . .
I have narrowed my mesh problem down to the LCS mesh, unfortunately.

Posted by Lance (LCS Mesh) In my defense, it's an addon mesh issue, as the product lines I've purchased in the past show the same issue. Which makes me wonder...
Don't people use addon mesh? Because if they did, more than Morten would have seen this.
There's a fairly simple fix available and I'll ask Bill if he wants a copy for distribution.

Was this "Fix" ever released? It was never addressed again in that thread. As an example, this is what I have right now. . . .not exactly a smooth landing area.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/206_Turbo-2016-oct-2-002.jpg

falcon409
October 2nd, 2016, 19:38
For now, it appears my only recourse is to deactivate the LCSim US Mesh. I can't find any mention on any of the threads that I found where a definitive fix was every released. Amazing that so many folks downloaded this "Freebie", probably a portion of whom had this very same problem (it seems to have been an "addon mesh" problem) and yet no one knows anything about it.

Cees Donker
October 2nd, 2016, 22:09
There was a mention in the 'manual' of changing the mesh to 5 meters. That worked for me.

Hope this helps,

Cees

falcon409
October 3rd, 2016, 03:26
There was a mention in the 'manual' of changing the mesh to 5 meters. That worked for me.
Hope this helps,
Cees
In one of the Forums where this was discussed Bill Womack suggested that the person ensure that he had his setting at 5m (which the OP said he had checked and it was set at 5m). After that the discussion continued with a few others verifying that in fact they also had the same problem while using "addon mesh products". Bill was supposedly working on some custom mesh to override but in all the discussions over several Forums, the posts just stopped. . .never a mention of any final fix. I have also changed my mesh resolution settings and it has very little effect. The only real way to correct it is to turn off the LCSim mesh products if I'm going to fly into that airport.

rich12545
October 3rd, 2016, 07:12
I have the fix. It's a small file that gets thrown in the main mesh folder. I have Heron's Nest installed but haven't flown there yet so I don't know how well it works. There are just too many places to fly and only so much time. If you want a copy, send me a pm with your email and I will send it to you.

rich12545
October 3rd, 2016, 07:44
lol. nm. I just tried to fly out and the runway was unusable. The patch, if anything, made things worse. A heli would be fine though.

spotlope
October 3rd, 2016, 09:14
There's a fix, but it wasn't nearly as simple as some folks seemed to think. I created a patch of custom terrain mesh for the island and did a whole bunch of flatten reworking. Trouble is, I've still got a bunch of coastline rebuilding to do now, and that's time consuming. Nantucket is almost ready for beta, so that's been getting the bulk of my attention, but this will get patched soon.

BTW, the iBlueYonder forum is the only place I monitor regularly for issues, so bringing them up here or on another forum might get you some help, but only the official forum is sure to get your issues noticed.

GaryGB
October 3rd, 2016, 12:48
Hi Ed:

Instant Scenery "Labels" feature shows that Bill gave us a very nice challenge at Outer Heron Island with those rocks he manually placed along the course of the airstrip (good thing I always keep collision detection "off" for my user aircraft !). :icon_lol:

FYI: Those rocks are actually scenery library objects which can be excluded (or moved to the RWY edge) if desired.

Personally, I really like the rugged terrain at Bill's 00ME RWY-3 start location, and am happy with the airport CVX sloped flatten as displayed without any add-on terrain mesh loaded from 3rd parties nearby. :encouragement:

If, however, one sets FS Menu GUI terrain mesh resolution at a higher slider setting than 5 Meters (ex: a setting of (2) or even (1) Meters), one will have a nearly 2 foot "bump" near the 00ME RWY-3 start location.

BTW: I believe that Bill's scenery package size can be kept smaller- and his work-load for implementing a "fix" at 00ME might be made even easier- if he were to keep using his existing vector flatten data points in:

[FSX install path]\IBY_Herons_Nest\iBlueYonder\Heron's Nest\Scenery\cvx_2_herons-nest_CVX.bgl

...and modify that BGL by adding (1) more polygon to change its 'effective' FS run time loading priority by expanding its Geographic extent of coverage to that of a LOD-4 quad.

The alternative of making a terrain mesh BGL with multiple LODs that has a LOD 4-12 extent would dramatically add to the existing scenery package download and installed footprint size.

I also believe this would prevent end users from having to disable their add-on mesh just because of a (temporary) anomaly seen at 00ME with the current set of available BGL files for that add-on. :angel:

I did a test which used the existing 00ME airport sloped flatten CVX vector polygon vertices, and added (1) small 3-sided polygon with vertex altitudes of 64.5 Meters each at a location just NW of 45.00 North and 75.00 West Geographic coordinates (in the suburbs of Ottawa Canada !) at a LOD-4 quad distance from 00ME.

That "forces" FS to load the test CVX vector sloped flatten BGL at the same distance away as a add-on mesh that has ex: LODs 4-12 extents ...because the Geographic extent of coverage for that CVX BGL now reaches all the way to Ottawa Canada.

This is a work-around for something Holger Sandmann previously reported, which is the tendency of FS to load a terrain mesh BGL with ex: LODs 4-12 extents when one starts a flight far away from an airport, and then having FS refuse to load any higher resolution terrain mesh and/or CVX vector "sloped" flatten BGLs that have smaller 'local-only' extents of Geographic coverage ...as one flies to the destination airport over a larger terrain quad sized distance.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/flattens-inactive-under-specific-circumstances.438192/

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/higher-lod-terrain-not-drawn.435658/

Many thanks again to Bill for sharing this great scenery with us ! :cool:

PS: I'll be looking forward to acquiring Nantucket ...as soon as it is ready.

GaryGB

falcon409
October 3rd, 2016, 13:06
. . . . .BTW, the iBlueYonder forum is the only place I monitor regularly for issues, so bringing them up here or on another forum might get you some help, but only the official forum is sure to get your issues noticed.
Duly noted Bill.