PDA

View Full Version : Confusion Over Gimmick Of New Drives

Aharon
October 1st, 2016, 18:42
I look at the drives of my new MSI laptop and saw two drives: OS install C: 189 GB free of 237 GB and data D: 913 GB free of 913 GB. I assume that drive C is SSD drive and drive D is 7,200 rpm drive.

Where am I supposed to install FSX into?? Can I install FSX into drive D that is labeled data? I know that FSX is going to take about 100 to 150 GB and I do not want to put FSX into drive C: that has OS Install and only 189 GB free.

Does your laptop or computer show same arrangement of two drives?

I do not know why MSI puts program files, program files x86 and windows into SSD drive that has only 237 GB instead of drive D which has 913 GB.

Thanks,

Aharon

mjrhealth
October 1st, 2016, 19:31
Laptop only has one drive, teh othere is simply a partition probaly for MS to store stuff. You will also find hidden partitions with a copy of the OS if that one isnt it.

Lane Street
October 1st, 2016, 19:53
It is very possible that you have two drives. Here is one- http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4408105&CatId=3998

Conventional thinking is that you want Windows and your programs on the fastest drive and the slower drive would be for data storage.

In other words, you would want Photoshop on the fast drive so it works faster, yet there is no benefit in storing your photos on the fast drive.

Computer manufacturers (especially laptop mans) do not build computers that are optimal for FSX.

You could put FSX on the SSD and store your aircraft and scenery on the HDD.

cheers,
Lane

Jafo
October 1st, 2016, 20:07
Sizes you give are almost certainly 2 drives as you describe [without us given the specs of your machine/model number]...they indicate a '250' gig and a 1 terabyte drive.
More than likely [but not actually guaranteed] that will be an SSD and a platter - the bigger one is the platter.

The OS and programs are intended to be on the SSD, with photos/music/junk on the platter drive.
FSX [and any other game/program] will load more slowly when not on a SSD but it's not the end of the world....SSDs didn't exist when FSX was created...;)

n4gix
October 2nd, 2016, 09:16
I install all programs such as FSX, FSX:SE, and Prepar3D on the D:\DATA drive.

Aharon
October 2nd, 2016, 11:26
Thanks all for explanations.

Drive D that is!!

Regards,

Aharon

Aharon
October 7th, 2016, 06:38
Finished installing FSX Deluxe with SP1 and SP2 into new laptop and did successful ground testing. Waiting to start my first flight (off course unfortuately offline since I have to test FSX first before venturing back into Vatsim where I had logged thousands of flight hours and millions of Vatsim events).

Also bought P3D V3.4 but am afraid to install!!!

Penzoil3
October 7th, 2016, 15:13
You will like P3D. It will reside next to your FSX install quite happily. You can put it on that D drive with no problems at all.
Sue