PDA

View Full Version : BAC Strikemaster

falcon409
September 29th, 2016, 06:49
Doing some updating for the VC and exterior. . . .VC first.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/Strikemaster-2016-sep-29-001.jpg

davido53
September 29th, 2016, 10:48
awesome...much needed!

falcon409
October 1st, 2016, 04:29
awesome...much needed!
lol, Looks like we are the only two Davido, lol. Looking for some assistance with trying to find a Sq Logo. British and Aussie Insignia seem to be so vast, with so many different crests that it seems they even change within the same Squadron. The image below shows all I have to go on. I don't even know what Squadron this one is. I don't care what Squadron is found at this point, I just need a good image that can be used as a texture for the exterior I'm working on. Any help would be appreciated.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/IMG_4315.jpg

DaveB
October 1st, 2016, 04:36
Check this out Ed. It's 14Sqn..

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/pages/wb00sm14.html

While the shot isn't the best.. knowing what it is will give you something better to look for;)
ATB
DaveB:)

falcon409
October 1st, 2016, 06:37
Check this out Ed. It's 14Sqn..
http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/pages/wb00sm14.html
While the shot isn't the best.. knowing what it is will give you something better to look for;)
ATB
DaveB:)
Great, Thanks Dave. That got me to where I needed to be. Found a good color version, added the diamonds and I can set that aside as complete. Also, here's an updated image of the current state of the VC. Done for the most part, although I am still tweaking a few things. Working mostly on the exterior now.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/Strikemaster_VC.jpg

semo
October 1st, 2016, 07:12
Nice work, looks like a British tweet!

Ian Warren
October 1st, 2016, 12:28
Ed, If need be I can organize a wander to Wigram and get Hi-Res photos for you, is this for 'Nije' Nigel Booths Strikemaster?

falcon409
October 1st, 2016, 12:44
Ed, If need be I can organize a wander to Wigram and get Hi-Res photos for you, is this for 'Nije' Nigel Booths Strikemaster?
Yes it is Ian, and thanks for the offer, but I have some really good "Walk-around" photos for the exterior that I'm using to complete the remainder. I'm afraid good Hi-Res Photos would cause me to start over, lol.

Desert Rat
October 1st, 2016, 13:03
Always loved the flying tadpole. Had a Matchbox kit as a young kid, too young, made a bit of a mess I'm afraid.

Now if this is a repaint project, it would be great if it could be tacpacked and someone who knows how to do scenery, etc. might see their way to implementing something along the lines of the Battle of Mirbat (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mirbat). That would be beyond the call.

looking forward to this one.

Jamie

WarHorse47
October 1st, 2016, 14:07
Sweet.

I might have some screenshots of the Olympic Flight Museum Strikemaster if you're interested.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WarHorse47/Air%20Shows/2011%20Olympic%20Air%20Show/PICT3075.jpg

Sundog
October 1st, 2016, 14:22
Always loved the flying tadpole. Had a Matchbox kit as a young kid, too young, made a bit of a mess I'm afraid.

I had that kit as well. "Flew" the wings off of it. That and the Matchbox Lysander (Brown and yellow plastic, hard to forget).

falcon409
October 1st, 2016, 15:51
. . . . . .Now if this is a repaint project, it would be great if it could be tacpacked and someone who knows how to do scenery, etc. might see their way to implementing something along the lines of the Battle of Mirbat (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mirbat). That would be beyond the call.

looking forward to this one.
Jamie
This is nothing more than a personal aircraft that I decided needed a good deal of work on the VC and some Hi-Res textures all around. I don't need TacPak or scenery, all beyond the scope of what I am doing. If someone else takes it and runs with it great.

Ian Warren
October 1st, 2016, 21:37
Yes it is Ian, and thanks for the offer, but I have some really good "Walk-around" photos for the exterior that I'm using to complete the remainder. I'm afraid good Hi-Res Photos would cause me to start over, lol.
I'll phone Wigram for an appointment ... NAH bugger it , 8.00 am morrow morning just walk in, I'm more than welcome there :untroubled:

Ian Warren
October 1st, 2016, 21:43
AS for the externals I can get close to specific details but ever since the Wobblies here it is difficult to get close in planning shots, it is amazing how basic the canopy for example are on these Strikemasters , a metal handle to pull it back, requires another on the other side to close it.

Timmy74
October 2nd, 2016, 01:25
I am very interested in your work on this one too falcon409!

However the "Aussies" never flew this aircraft. The boys "over the pond" did and they did a fantastic job flying them if I may add.

I look forward to your work and seeing some great RNZAF paints for her.

Cheers,
Tim.

Ian Warren
October 2nd, 2016, 12:55
Sorry Ed, I did not make it into Wigram this morning, that is not the norm for me when mention the RNZAF museum , I woke up and it past nine thirty, I'll phone today to organize getting photo's for tomorrow morn, I have to get in before its open for the public.

Ian Warren
October 2nd, 2016, 15:58
It will be a few days, at the mo one is on leave, so that maybe lucky I did not walk in, as he has the keys.

falcon409
October 2nd, 2016, 16:03
It will be a few days, at the mo one is on leave, so that maybe lucky I did not walk in, as he has the keys.
Not a problem, I'm at a standstill right now anyway while I do some flying. Thanks Ian.

strykerpsg
October 2nd, 2016, 21:58
This is nothing more than a personal aircraft that I decided needed a good deal of work on the VC and some Hi-Res textures all around. I don't need TacPak or scenery, all beyond the scope of what I am doing. If someone else takes it and runs with it great.

Great looking work Ed. Although this is not one of my favorites, still a nice looking bird.....however, since TacPak was brought up, I would love to see a TacPak'ed A-37.........just saying.

Thanks for the great work on this Ed.

falcon409
October 3rd, 2016, 04:19
Great looking work Ed. Although this is not one of my favorites, still a nice looking bird.....however, since TacPak was brought up, I would love to see a TacPak'ed A-37.........just saying.
Thanks for the great work on this Ed.
I can partly agree. . . .I would just like to see an FSX native A/T-37. That, however, is something I will never see in my lifetime, lol. Promises have been in the wind for years with nary a screenshot to show for it. There are "almost suitable subs" about that are flyable and fairly representative, but a detailed native version. . . .never happen.

rdaniell
October 3rd, 2016, 05:39
I can partly agree. . . .I would just like to see an FSX native A/T-37. That, however, is something I will never see in my lifetime, lol. Promises have been in the wind for years with nary a screenshot to show for it. There are "almost suitable subs" about that are flyable and fairly representative, but a detailed native version. . . .never happen.

I too would really like to see an A/T-37. At one time I used to post a question about it here at the SOH every six months or so. I finally realized that I was "spitting into the wind."

I must admit, however, that I'm still baffled as to why NO developer seems interested in this particular aircraft. Seems to me, at least, that there is considerable interest in one being developed for FSX, et. al.

RD

falcon409
October 3rd, 2016, 05:54
I agree Randy. It was the primary Jet Trainer for the Air Force for many, many years, the variant which was the A-37 Dragonfly flew thousands of sorties over Vietnam during that conflict and was used as a front line fighter in many third world AF Units beyond that. Yet developers have this "Nah, not interested" mentality towards it. It's times like this when I wish Piglet was still around. He'd have done a bang up job with an A-37 by now.

JensOle
October 3rd, 2016, 06:50
Another forgotten part/very little known part of the Strikemaster history is the combat use by The Sultan of Oman's Air Force (SOAF), flown by British pilots during the Dhofar rebellion. Most famous is maybe the battle of Mirbat in 1972 when Strikemaster supported the SAS team at Mirbat.

rdaniell
October 3rd, 2016, 06:51
I agree Randy. It was the primary Jet Trainer for the Air Force for many, many years, the variant which was the A-37 Dragonfly flew thousands of sorties over Vietnam during that conflict and was used as a front line fighter in many third world AF Units beyond that. Yet developers have this "Nah, not interested" mentality towards it. It's times like this when I wish Piglet was still around. He'd have done a bang up job with an A-37 by now.

Before anybody responds by suggesting that I make my own A/T-37, if I were a lot younger and still had some "fluid intelligence" left, I would take a stab at aircraft development myself. Lordy! I had enough trouble learning all the tools necessary to create the scenery projects that I've shared here at the SOH.

Psychology 101 lesson: Cognitive psychologist take the position that we have at least two types of intelligence. One is fluid intelligence which is used to learn new things. Crystallized intelligence is all the things we already know. Fluid tends to decrease with age. Crystalized is thought to actually increase as we age.

RD

Bjoern
October 3rd, 2016, 09:33
Thanks for this, Ed!

I must admit, however, that I'm still baffled as to why NO developer seems interested in this particular aircraft. Seems to me, at least, that there is considerable interest in one being developed for FSX, et. al.

Because it's fugly and obnoxiously noisy?

Before anybody responds by suggesting that I make my own A/T-37, if I were a lot younger and still had some "fluid intelligence" left, I would take a stab at aircraft development myself. Lordy! I had enough trouble learning all the tools necessary to create the scenery projects that I've shared here at the SOH.

Psychology 101 lesson: Cognitive psychologist take the position that we have at least two types of intelligence. One is fluid intelligence which is used to learn new things. Crystallized intelligence is all the things we already know. Fluid tends to decrease with age. Crystalized is thought to actually increase as we age.

It's not about intelligence, it's about patience and determination. And a positive attitude toward the new and unknown.

Ian Warren
October 12th, 2016, 17:54
Wigram Museum Mission Complete 'AGAIN' :encouragement: , I just love the place , three photo's here just to get you up speed, good friend and mate 'Barf' on the wing, currently uploading the photo's only 102 and it 600MG, I'll plop a link here later for anyone interested, I biffed 28 photo's, one start's to get a little shaky in the confined space, if required I can return and say the 'Arnie' line "I'll be Bark"
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2016/10/13/1Custom.jpg
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2016/10/13/2Custom.jpg
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2016/10/13/3Custom.jpg

Ian Warren
October 12th, 2016, 18:07
I tried to edit this, but this should be stand a alone, another great mate here in Christchurch has done a panorama's of quite a few aircraft, real, A2A and FSaddon http://scaber.org/panoramas/virtual-aircraft/ the Strikemaster is in there, One thing I said to 'Barf' was just how amazing he glued this together .... this is seriously COOL :encouragement:

Ian Warren
October 12th, 2016, 18:36
DOWNLOAD LINK for anyone interested , it is 600MB s

Files (593 MB total)
BAC -167 photo's.zip
Will be deleted on
20 October, 2016
Download link
https://we.tl/gpXVz1TMGk

Enjoy :encouragement:

falcon409
October 12th, 2016, 19:21
Got em' Ian. . .many thanks for taking the time to get these shots. . .my work is cut out for me now, lol. Great job. . .Thanks again!!

Ian Warren
October 12th, 2016, 19:43
Thanks Ed, if you need more specific photo's and details, not an issue to return .... seems they almost need to drag me out of the place :encouragement:

Rick_Piper
October 13th, 2016, 01:10
Looks good so far Falcon409 :applause:

I might have the Jet Provost T5 Source somewhere possibly Strikemaster.

Rick (Slowly getting back into FS)

Ian Warren
October 13th, 2016, 01:30

Hi ya Rick :adoration: Long time no see, pleased you popped in, it would be a brilliant project with that information, as mentioned I can still return to Wigram to get extra details/photo material :untroubled:

Sascha66
October 13th, 2016, 02:42

Hey Rick, I still regularly use your T5 for my sightseeing trips! Thank you so much for the hours of enjoyment it brings me!