PDA

View Full Version : Beta version or demo of CFS2?

RichNagel
September 28th, 2016, 11:15
Does anyone know of a working download link for the beta version of CFS2? Also, the same thing for the demo (was there ever an official demo of CFS2)? I though it might be interesting to give those a whirl :)

Shadow Wolf 07
September 28th, 2016, 11:24
Since 2000 I never saw or heard of one. At the time, with dial up connection (at 50 kb/sec) being the primary method of connecting to the internet, I doubt that the thought ever crossed anyone's mind.

RichNagel
September 28th, 2016, 12:50
Thanks for the info, Shadow Wolf 07 :) Yeah, man, those miserable dialup days LOL!

BTW, as far as the beta version, the only thing that I've seen on the Internet is mention of a "Beta CD-ROM", which I'm assuming was given by Microsoft to only a select few.

No Dice
September 28th, 2016, 17:51
Never heard of one for CFS2, But I have what was called the Gold Version for CFS1,
But I think some gun owners have a saying about prying my fingers off this, Well same
here...never gonna happen.

RichNagel
December 21st, 2021, 05:55
Sorry for digging up this old message thread, but I recently stumbled upon this image. The image was from an EBay auction that had ended last month that hadn't sold:

ULTRA RARE: Combat Flight Simulator 2 Beta - Microsoft Game Studios

Ended: Nov 17, 2021 , 5:45PM

Up for auction here is an extremely rare and confidential disc from Microsoft Game Studios containing a Beta build of Combat Flight Simulator 2, developed by Microsoft!

To note, there is no license with the disc and I'm uncertain if one is needed.

The disc is in great condition and reads perfectly (I imaged the bits and loaded the image via A120%'s emulated drive just to make sure).

NOTE: Microsoft Game Studios discs are commonly protected with copy protection DRM like SafeDisc/SecuROM. This means you will likely see read errors if you try to rip the disc! Software like A120% is typically needed to image discs like this.

INTERESTING! :)

Dirtman
December 21st, 2021, 06:41
WOW ... YOU STRUCK GOLD !!!

Nice find Rich .. your diligence has certainly paid off!
Mint condition is a REAL BONUS.

I'd create an ISO ... and then lock them in a safety deposit box!!!

Allen
December 21st, 2021, 07:34
Has anyone contacted the seller since it didn't sell and see if they could get it? Wonder if this has the 2 missing P-47s that are found in the INFO folder as .jpgs

RichNagel
December 21st, 2021, 08:42
WOW ... YOU STRUCK GOLD !!!

Nice find Rich .. your diligence has certainly paid off!
Mint condition is a REAL BONUS.

I'd create an ISO ... and then lock them in a safety deposit box!!!

Actually, the auction had ended back in November and no one had bidded on it. I stumbled on it after the auction had ended, so unfortunately I don't have it :)

That being said.....

Has anyone contacted the seller since it didn't sell and see if they could get it? Wonder if this has the 2 missing P-47s that are found in the INFO folder as .jpgs

I sent the seller two messages, one a few weeks ago, and one today... haven't had a reply yet :(

@ALL, and YES, if by a slim chance I can get ahold of the seller and am actually able to buy it, I WILL be creating and ISO (probably a CloneCD image) and uploading it somewhere :) :) :)

Sarg Willy
December 21st, 2021, 12:19
Ohh Wow , Keep on em Rich , Best of luck !

RichNagel
December 21st, 2021, 17:38
Ohh Wow , Keep on em Rich , Best of luck !

Will do, and thanks! :)

Allen
December 21st, 2021, 18:22
Maybe no message back because of Christmas? Fingers crossed for a reply soon.

RichNagel
December 22nd, 2021, 15:24
Just got a reply back from the seller:

"Hey, Rich! This is unfortunately gone with a bunch of others that sold in bulk of all the ones that didn't sell. Thank you for checking, though!"

JUST MY LUCK <AARRGHH>!

Allen
December 22nd, 2021, 15:39
Rip

Shessi
December 23rd, 2021, 00:30
Arrrrgggggggggghhhhhh!!!

Well thanks for trying Rich, better to get a definitive answer, than not knowing. Shame, as it may have been very interesting what was on that disc!

Cheers

Shessi

Dirtman
December 23rd, 2021, 01:47
Yeah, I realize you didn't actually get the chance purchase it.

BUT my point is that you did find the CFS2 "Unicorn"

"a mythical beast of legend, but never before seen nor captured"

Thanks to YOU; the once fabled "CFS2 BETA" has been shown to actually exist!!

Move over Indiana Jones ... here comes Rich Nagel!!!

Sarg Willy
December 23rd, 2021, 19:28
Yes sir , Every one copy that photo , The search is on , although I don,t expect to ever see it in Canada
one of 50 perhaps , a treasure in a storage locker , Pawn Stars !
perhaps a hope fund !

Motormouse
December 23rd, 2021, 23:39
Just jumping on this, but IIRC a CFS2 demo was included on FS2002 discs

Ttfn

Pete

Dirtman
December 24th, 2021, 04:07
although I don't expect to ever see it in Canada

That's right .... nuthin' up here 'cept cold beer, hot women & COVID! :santahat:

:ernaehrung004:

RichNagel
December 24th, 2021, 08:55
Just jumping on this, but IIRC a CFS2 demo was included on FS2002 discs

The thing is, the beta version was different than the retail version (differences with the aircraft/physics, some aircraft in the beta that weren't in the retail). I wasn't aware of a demo version of CFS2, that's something that I've expressed interest in :)

Allen
December 24th, 2021, 10:03
Just for the record I made Wayback Machines/Web Archives of the eBay listing so if we need to go back and look the listing after eBay deletes it we have it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20211224045713/https://www.ebay.com/itm/115104150866
https://web.archive.org/web/20211224045538/https://www.ebay.com/itm/115104150866?hash=item1accbdf552%3Ag%3ADKkAAOSwBzx hdexE

RichNagel
December 24th, 2021, 16:36
just for the record i made wayback machines/web archives of the ebay listing so if we need to go back and look the listing after ebay deletes it we have it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20211224045713/https://www.ebay.com/itm/115104150866
https://web.archive.org/web/20211224045538/https://www.ebay.com/itm/115104150866?hash=item1accbdf552%3ag%3adkkaaoswbzx hdexe

Superb! :)

RichNagel
October 18th, 2022, 21:08
I found a message over at FlightSim.com from someone who confirmed that the demo of CFS2 was included on select/certain FS2002 CDs:

Some Copies of Fs2002 were released with a Demo for Combat Flight Simulator 2 and they shared a texture folder

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?337651-Landmarks-for-Fs2002-update!

I'd LOVE to find a version of those CDs that had it! :)

Allen
October 18th, 2022, 23:38
It will be likely that the FS2002 demo version will be a cut down of the Retail CFS2 sadly.

ViperPilot2
November 12th, 2022, 22:22
Why don't you pick up.a full.copy of CFS2 and go that way? I mean, they're all over the place on the Bay for cheap, and all of the 'fixes' are floating out in the ether.

It'll be a more rewarding experience for a real test drive, and if you like it, so much the better.

In its day it was considered one of the best Combat Sims ever made, and the ACES Team had former Fighter Aces Joe Foss and Saburo Sakai as consultants.

If you can, get a Copy with the Manual; it's almost a template on how the Campaigns are modeled.

Good Luck! :biggrin-new:

RichNagel
November 13th, 2022, 20:09
Why don't you pick up.a full.copy of CFS2 and go that way? I mean, they're all over the place on the Bay for cheap, and all of the 'fixes' are floating out in the ether.

It'll be a more rewarding experience for a real test drive, and if you like it, so much the better.

In its day it was considered one of the best Combat Sims ever made, and the ACES Team had former Fighter Aces Joe Foss and Saburo Sakai as consultants.

If you can, get a Copy with the Manual; it's almost a template on how the Campaigns are modeled.

Good Luck! :biggrin-new:

Ummmm... I actually own TWO copies of the game, complete with manuals, as well as the two published strategy guides for the game. I also play the game on a daily basis, and have for many years now :) The purpose of this thread was simply tracking down the beta version of CFS2 for historical purposes :wink:

ViperPilot2
November 23rd, 2022, 09:25
Ummmm... I actually own TWO copies of the game, complete with manuals, as well as the two published strategy guides for the game. I also play the game on a daily basis, and have for many years now :) The purpose of this thread was simply tracking down the beta version of CFS2 for historical purposes :wink:

Rich,

I was mistaken; after perusing some of the other CFS2 Threads, I came to the realization that you're a long time User of CFS2, and your post here explains the reason for your Search. My sincere apologies!

I have reloaded CFS2 recently, and am rediscovering how much enjoyment I got from running this Sim! I look forward to reading many more informative posts from you!

Alan :wavey:

CH_OldZeke
November 23rd, 2022, 10:00
I doubt MS did any CFS2 betas as a d/l. We received beta cds for CFS3 for the 1st 2 betas. As even FSX the first few betas were mailed on cd to us.

Sbob
November 23rd, 2022, 10:46
Just to muddy the waters some more, the Demo included with FS2002 is "Fighter Ace 2" from 1999 and not CFS2. :wavey:
Both games were from M$, but "Face2" was more of an on-line "stadium shooter" (I never tried playing it on-line) and a lot more simple than CFS.
You could play it offline in Training Mode.

RichNagel
November 24th, 2022, 01:20
I was mistaken; after perusing some of the other CFS2 Threads, I came to the realization that you're a long time User of CFS2, and your post here explains the reason for your Search. My sincere apologies!

No problemo :) Hehe, 'long time user', as of modern times... I got into CFS2 WAY after it wasn't sold anymore in stores, and way after the MS Zone was shut down LOL. Really a shame, I would have had a BLAST playing on the Zone if I had the game (and a PC powerful enough to run it) back then :)

I doubt MS did any CFS2 betas as a d/l. We received beta cds for CFS3 for the 1st 2 betas. As even FSX the first few betas were mailed on cd to us.

Yeah, I don't think that they had a download for the CFS2 beta. Only the elusive CD that I just barely missed on Ebay before someone had bought it :(

Just to muddy the waters some more, the Demo included with FS2002 is "Fighter Ace 2" from 1999 and not CFS2. :wavey:
Both games were from M$, but "Face2" was more of an on-line "stadium shooter" (I never tried playing it on-line) and a lot more simple than CFS.
You could play it offline in Training Mode.

That would be similar to the Fighter Ace (1) that came with CFS2. Just like you said about FA2, a 'stadium shooter'.

ViperPilot2
November 24th, 2022, 08:14
No problemo :) Hehe, 'long time user', as of modern times... I got into CFS2 WAY after it wasn't sold anymore in stores, and way after the MS Zone was shut down LOL. Really a shame, I would have had a BLAST playing on the Zone if I had the game (and a PC powerful enough to run it) back then :)

Yeah, I don't think that they had a download for the CFS2 beta. Only the elusive CD that I just barely missed on Ebay before someone had bought it :(

That would be similar to the Fighter Ace (1) that came with CFS2. Just like you said about FA2, a 'stadium shooter'.

I bought my first copy in the Computer Store, along with CFS1. I'm so old skool I can remember the days of the first Wikipedia writeup for CFS2, when some wrote that it was "the finest Combat Simulator on the Market, and with the Open Source nature of the Community, it has the potential for massive Expansion of its simulated Environment."

After cutting my teeth on Sims such as Fighter Duel, X WING and TIE FIGHTER, and US Navy Fighters, CFS 1 and 2 were a welcome change.

:wavey:

Allen
April 1st, 2024, 08:44
Well someone MAY have dump one of the beta of CFS2

https://www.betaarchive.com/database/view_release.php?uuid=9811712f-4af1-42a8-bb09-9d33a85c7a55

Allen
April 1st, 2024, 12:05
Just a FYI even with an account you have to GIVE them content in order to download it. I'm not :censored: ing joking.

"BetaArchive is a contribution based website which means that to gain access to our archive you must contribute something original of quality, and in a format that properly preserves all of the associated data from the original media, to the release artwork and documentation.

We believe this is the fairest way for users to gain access, and it helps to keep our cause alive.

This might sound like a daunting and unachieveable task, but it's really not! It is going to take you some time and effort, but the reward will be worth it."

https://www.betaarchive.com/contributions.php

What a waste. :banghead:

RichNagel
April 1st, 2024, 13:46
What a total PITA!!!! Heh, wonder if they would accept an ISO of my "Weeds Warez" CD from decades ago as "payment"... it's ULTRA rare LOL!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sMmNdpPTovk&pp=ygULV2VlZHMgd2FyZXo

Allen
April 1st, 2024, 17:57
You can try!

Also it looks the they person the uploaded the beta made a forum post so maybe I can try a DM and see If I can get them send it to me or upload it to a reputable site.

https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45079

Never mind about the DM. I'll go :censored: my self with a :censored: stuck with rusty nails.

https://i.imgur.com/CwJOPlR.png

Dose anyone have link to Microsoft that I can report betaarchive out and have Microsoft :censored: ing nuke it from orbit?

Dirtman
April 2nd, 2024, 07:05
Who makes our Guidance Software?

RichNagel
April 2nd, 2024, 15:14
That is so freaking' ridiculous about their DM (AND download) policy <AARRGGHH>!

AZGunslngr
April 2nd, 2024, 22:11
Rich, I actually have CFS2 downloaded on my pc and haven't even launched it yet, fresh download. Was going to be my next modding project. Not sure if we can upload full games on here, doubt it, but can zip file it and "maybe" if it works, OneDrive send it to you?

Allen
April 2nd, 2024, 22:25
You got the beta/demo version?!?

AZGunslngr
April 2nd, 2024, 23:34
Nope, have the game on disc, and installed it, you just looking for the demo?

Allen
April 3rd, 2024, 14:34
We are looking for a beta/demo/review disc that was on eBay in 2021. It may have been dumped on to a website but we can't download it from that website.

RichNagel
April 3rd, 2024, 20:44
Yeah... most of us here don't need a retail version, I myself own two paid-for boxed copies of the game LOL.

RichNagel
April 14th, 2024, 15:11
I REALLY WISH that someone had access to that BetaArchive site. Really drives me NUTZ that you have to jump through numerous hoops and do a bunch of voodoo rituals to simply download a single file from them <aarrgghh>. With all of the TONS of stuff over at archive.org , the guy SHOULD have uploaded it THERE (which is what that *I* would have done). HELL, I'd even PAY him for download link (after all, I WOULD have bought that one from EBay if I would have stumbled on the listing in time).

Allen
April 14th, 2024, 15:56
I could be a really long shot but maybe we could ask in the other fourms and ask if some has access to BetaArchive DLs or maybe knows some one that dose?

RichNagel
April 14th, 2024, 16:51
Sounds like a plan :)

RichNagel
April 14th, 2024, 23:06
I actually signed up in their forums and posted the following message:

WOW! I'd LOVE to get my hands on a copy of this!

There has been A LOT of discussion about the beta version of CFS2 over at "Sim Outhouse", starting with some of my own forum posts over there 7-1/2 years ago. Then in 2021 I found an Ebay listing for the beta CFS2 CD, but unfortunately had missed that sale by a few weeks :(

I even went as far to message the original Ebay seller, but he said that he didn't have the contact info for the buyer... just my luck!

Anyhow, WOW... this is something that several of us CFS2 enthusiasts would DIE to get our hands on! I only wish that I had something of value to upload here to the Beta Archive to get access to the downloads.

Of course, there's an automated message currently tagged to my post:

This post is not visible to other users until it has been approved by a moderator.

Anyhow, once the message is approved by a moderator (???), hopefully that might spur along someone there willing to help... we shall see.

Allen
April 20th, 2024, 11:22
Any news?

RichNagel
April 20th, 2024, 13:02
Nothing yet. The moderators FINALLY approved my post, and it appears that the guy with the CD is indeed the one that bought that one off of eBay back in 2021.

Anyhow, I sent him a PM asking if there was anywhere that I could download the ISO from.