PDA

View Full Version : MIG-19/J-6 version 1.0 by Yan Tao

awstub
September 22nd, 2016, 14:10
I'm currently using the "MIG-19/J-6 version 1.0 by Yan Tao" for FS2004 as means to try and develop my painting skills.

It's the only MiG-19 I could find that would work in FSX and the model looks pretty nice IMHO, as it has a lot of rivets and nice panel lines.

Unfortunately it doesn't have a virtual cockpit.

Is there any way to get a virtual cockpit to work with it? If I can get a working cockpit in it, I'll try to figure out how to add Tackpack to it.

It's a nice looking aircraft and I'm surprised that there isn't an FSX compatible one yet.

Anyway, here are some very preliminary shots of what I'm working towards... (I've actually done a lot more to it than you see here, but haven't taken screenshots of it yet)....

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/z98bot10a/MiG-19F-6_WIP1_zpsktb1ugzt.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/z98bot10a/MiG-19F-6_WIP2_zpsgkgij2ua.jpg

Pips
September 22nd, 2016, 16:58
Nice! :) I do so like the look of the MiG-15 to 19 range.

Jafo
September 22nd, 2016, 17:28
There's no way for an end user to add a VC to a FS9 aircraft with no VC. If a FS9 model has a VC it is typically included within the one model file and at best can only be altered graphically [alter the bitmaps].
FSX aircraft with VCs will normally have the VC in a separate model file and can be swapped out with others without a great deal of trouble.
The Mig 19 is therefore stuck as it is.
Best you can do is create a 2D panel that replicates the real thing as accurately as possible. It's not the greatest model as it has holes in the cockpit and a few clunky details, but is certainly simple enough to hone painting skills on...;)

StormILM
September 22nd, 2016, 20:33
Just hate that Ivan Jurcaga's Mig-19 seems to have fallen by the wayside. It looked very promising.

awstub
September 22nd, 2016, 22:23
There's no way for an end user to add a VC to a FS9 aircraft with no VC. If a FS9 model has a VC it is typically included within the one model file and at best can only be altered graphically [alter the bitmaps].
FSX aircraft with VCs will normally have the VC in a separate model file and can be swapped out with others without a great deal of trouble.
The Mig 19 is therefore stuck as it is.
Best you can do is create a 2D panel that replicates the real thing as accurately as possible. It's not the greatest model as it has holes in the cockpit and a few clunky details, but is certainly simple enough to hone painting skills on...;)

Well, that's too bad.

Ivan's MiG-21 is pretty darn nice, but it would be good to get a Tacpacked MiG-19 into the arena as well.

Mach3DS
September 23rd, 2016, 06:27
Ummm if I'm not mistaken, and I could be, but I believe you in fact CAN add a VC to an FS9 model via MCX, which can then be exported via the fsx or p3d sdk as a native model. In the process you can add bumps speculars and change materials to give the model a real face lift. ;)

I believe it requires some panel.cfg editing as well as eyepoint in the aircraft.cfg

DaveWG
September 23rd, 2016, 06:40
You would need to convert it first, then you could add the VC.

Jafo
September 23rd, 2016, 16:24
Ummm if I'm not mistaken, and I could be, but I believe you in fact CAN add a VC to an FS9 model via MCX, which can then be exported via the fsx or p3d sdk as a native model. In the process you can add bumps speculars and change materials to give the model a real face lift. ;)

I believe it requires some panel.cfg editing as well as eyepoint in the aircraft.cfg

Yes, but outside of re-engineering the model file [and its issues of IP/copyright/permission] there is no way.
Obviously...turning a 9 model into an X one means you can have/add any 'normal' features that X provides.

Mach3DS
September 23rd, 2016, 18:38
Right you are sir! It's actually not that difficult to do using MCX. Now.as.far as.getting permission that's another story. I for one prefer to get the blessing o those original authors. So that can prove long in the tooth...the waiting game.

jeansy
September 23rd, 2016, 19:50
Right you are sir! It's actually not that difficult to do using MCX. Now.as.far as.getting permission that's another story. I for one prefer to get the blessing o those original authors. So that can prove long in the tooth...the waiting game.

however if you plan to keep all mods to yourself and not upload them anywhere, then the wait is as long as you need to make it

But your right rick and dave, its not impossible to give something a VC

Mach3DS
September 23rd, 2016, 23:10
however if you plan to keep all mods to yourself and not upload them anywhere, then the wait is as long as you need to make it

But your right rick and dave, its not impossible to give something a VC

I have a few like that...which shall remain nameless. Man some are REALLY COOL too! Too bad I can't let them see the light of day! I've never added a VC, but I have made pylons and stores visible with weight, changed material settings and added missing textures.

jeansy
September 23rd, 2016, 23:23
I have a few like that...which shall remain nameless. Man some are REALLY COOL too! Too bad I can't let them see the light of day! I've never added a VC, but I have made pylons and stores visible with weight, changed material settings and added missing textures.

I think most of us do,

VCs arent that hard but it certainly can bring something to life that lacks or has a horrible VC

awstub
September 24th, 2016, 21:09
The documentation that came with the original a/c only gives the authors name and a stale e-mail adderss....so I'm pretty sure I'll not be able to get permission to modify the model.

But, since there is no other MiG-19 out there (that I can find, at least) I am still trying to think of how to "fix it up" so to speak.

Would it be OK to offer a package that others could apply to the aircraft themselves? I suppose the analogy would be like installing an after-market automotive part on your car.
At the very least, it's fun painting it though...and I've made some decent progress with it too.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/z98bot10a/MiG-19F-6_WIP3_zpsyaktakvz.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/z98bot10a/MiG-19F-6_WIP5_zpsnbbmbwcs.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/z98bot10a/MiG-19F-6_WIP7_zpscfhq0ycy.jpg

fsafranek
September 25th, 2016, 11:50
The documentation that came with the original a/c only gives the authors name and a stale e-mail adderss....so I'm pretty sure I'll not be able to get permission to modify the model.

But, since there is no other MiG-19 out there (that I can find, at least) I am still trying to think of how to "fix it up" so to speak.

Would it be OK to offer a package that others could apply to the aircraft themselves? I suppose the analogy would be like installing an after-market automotive part on your car.
At the very least, it's fun painting it though...and I've made some decent progress with it too.

It is a fun one to paint. I did a few myself when it first came out. Since you can't contact the
original author it should be ok to release a package that folks could apply themselves.
:ernaehrung004:

ian elliot
September 25th, 2016, 12:38
This is an area of model development i have little knowledge off, and im about to display my ignorance :jump:, but what i notice about this model is that Yan has model'd the cockpit area with seat and panel to an acceptable standard, is it not possible to create a view entrie, just in front of the pilots head, like the entry in a normal vc, basic i know and the pilot will probably get in the way and the panel will have no working gauge's, but its just a thought, now, where am i going wrong :biggrin-new:

cheers ian

Mach3DS
September 25th, 2016, 14:28
So, if it's not possible to get permission from someone, I'm not sure how to proceed. Generally I've only reworked a few models and all of which were payware. But if it is truly 'freeware' it is actually governed by others laws. Im still of the mindset that getting approval is best...but in sime cases its impossible...like Tim Conrad, he's completely vanished, so it would be impossible to get his approval for his freeware aircraft. This is the "can of worms" that I have no wish to open at this time. So I'm not going to comment any further! Just know that without editing the actual model, you will not be able to do much including adding a VC, if it doesn't already have one. And definitely no bump maps or adding other materials. Best of luck in your endeavors!

sixstrings5859
September 26th, 2016, 04:29
Found a free 3D model of the Mig-19 here http://www.sharecg.com/v/35419/browse/5/3D-Model/Mig-19 Maybe it can be converted to FSX.

awstub
September 26th, 2016, 06:51
Found a free 3D model of the Mig-19 here http://www.sharecg.com/v/35419/browse/5/3D-Model/Mig-19 Maybe it can be converted to FSX.

I downloaded the model and from what I can see, the shape is pretty close.... but it would need to be reworked, especially the tail section.
Author: willo
Simple .obj model of a Russian Mig 19.
Packed for Poser prop. Gear up or down option. Modeled in Wings3D.
Format: OBJ (.obj), Poser (.pz3, .pp2), Wings 3D (.wings)
Categories: Aircraft, Military, Weapons
Usage Rights: Unrestricted use

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/z98bot10a/free_3d_Mig-19_zpst3wrivqf.jpg

ian elliot
September 26th, 2016, 09:09
Unless im very much mistaken, all 19's were twin engined, that model just doesn't look right to me, your probably better sticking with the Tao model, whatever problems you have with the interior, the external shape is spot-on,

awstub
September 26th, 2016, 09:44
Unless im very much mistaken, all 19's were twin engined, that model just doesn't look right to me, your probably better sticking with the Tao model, whatever problems you have with the interior, the external shape is spot-on,

Yes, the tail is not right, but otherwise the model is pretty darn close and license-wise, unrestricted use is allowed.

While the Yan Tao model is much more accurate, he has disappeared from the FS scene ( as far as I can tell and ) and there is virtually no chance to get permission to modify his model.

So, it seems to me that it would be "easier" in the long run to modify the free model to the correct shape and use that.

Of course, right now, the only thing I have been able to figure out is how to load the model so it can be looked at in 3d Studio.

I am optimistic because I have no idea of what is impossible... but I am pessimistic because I have no idea how to use any of the tools yet. :playful:

DaveWG
September 26th, 2016, 10:40
Looking at the screenshot above, it looks like there's no gear, no cockpit, no control surfaces...
Lot of work, probably just as easy to start from scratch.

Bjoern
September 26th, 2016, 12:55
Being the lazy POS that I am, I'd simply convert the MiG-19 model with ModelConverterX, then convert the VC from Ivan Jurcaga's MiG-21F-13, merge the two together and see if there are more than five dozen bugs to squash or live with.
(XML gauge editing capabilities might be required to account for the second engine and compensate for the lack of working switches featuring custom XML code, which will be lost during the conversion.)

Or maybe use one of Josef Cepek's models (MiG-3U?) as a VC conversion donor...

http://www.avsimrus.com/files.phtml?uploader=22291&page=1
http://dcn44dt-okb-eee.webnode.cz/

(Sites will require translation.)

awstub
September 26th, 2016, 18:15
Looking at the screenshot above, it looks like there's no gear, no cockpit, no control surfaces...
Lot of work, probably just as easy to start from scratch.

With the download, there is a model with landing gear and one without..... but yes, there's no cockpit or control surfaces in either model..

DaveWG
September 26th, 2016, 22:09
That would save a bit of work anyway. I assume it's not animated though?
For my own use I've already converted Yans model, added spec maps (no bumps yet), and merged with a modified version of Piglets T2 VC.

awstub
September 26th, 2016, 22:38
That would save a bit of work anyway. I assume it's not animated though?
For my own use I've already converted Yans model, added spec maps (no bumps yet), and merged with a modified version of Piglets T2 VC.

I'm a little frustrated, since I would really like to see a FSX native MiG-19 (Tacpacked, of course) ....but I'm already time limited, since I'm trying to figure out painting/texturing, while also working on the Southeast Asia theater for FSX@War.

I guess I'll just try to figure out how to convert Yan's model so I can add a VC and just use it for myself until I get the time to learn how to do 3d modeling.