PDA

View Full Version : Fly Commando II

Willy
September 22nd, 2016, 08:09
To split this off from the basic C-46 discussion, I just uploaded the Santa Fe C-46 to the library here. Constructive criticism is always welcome. Keeps me straight and on my toes.

Willy
October 11th, 2016, 19:55
This one is getting pretty close to being finished. EPA flew a couple of C-46s in and out of Newfoundland. The pics I found of them were "conflicting" so, I just did the a mixmash of them.

Mach3DS
October 11th, 2016, 20:39
nice!!!:encouragement:

Willy
October 13th, 2016, 07:30
Before the metal polish comes out...

Willy
October 13th, 2016, 09:10
The Eastern Provincial Airways C-46 is ready to upload here, however I'm going to hold off until Ickie is through working his magic with the server hard drives. But I did upload it already to FlightSim where it'll have to be released by their librarian before it will be available to download.

I've got a Caribische Lucht Transport C-46 from the Netherlands Antilles close to finished, mostly just doing QC checks and fixing any problems found.

The Eastern one is pretty much painted and just needs the alpha layers done up which takes me almost as long as it does to paint the things.

wombat666
October 14th, 2016, 14:56
It must be a bit chilly 'flying commando' Willy ........ :very_drunk:

Willy
October 15th, 2016, 04:45

Not if you got a good heater.

Actually, I borrowed the phrase from an old ad I found online

That Eastern paint suffered a major setback from my being distracted while working on a alpha layer for the fuselage and I'll have to redo the main texture.

Aharon
October 15th, 2016, 06:03

Yet pilots have no problem flying C-46 Commandos for Buffalo Airways in sub-zero temperature conditions :)

Stefano Zibell
October 15th, 2016, 07:54
So I'm not the only one who associates "flying commando" with a certain lack of underwear, right?

Willy
November 8th, 2016, 11:52
I got the Eastern one redone, but wasn't happy with the metal. So I redid the master files a bit (with breaks while working on other things) and I think I'm about ready to put it all together. While I was at it, I did a few tricks I learned while painting F-80s.

This one's not just flying commando, it's flying nekkid....

Ian Warren
November 8th, 2016, 12:58
Yet pilots have no problem flying C-46 Commandos for Buffalo Airways in sub-zero temperature conditions :)
I've only recently had a chance to see the 'Ice Pilots' .. that really is a great series , Great Work Willy :encouragement:

mrogers
November 8th, 2016, 23:31
Well done Willy! The paints look great.

I've thought about doing a couple of South American paints to the C-46. 1980's period scheme. One in a LANICA scheme and another one in a LACSA scheme with the name Chorotega. One day.

Blackbird686
November 9th, 2016, 03:21

Subtle...:biggrin-new:

Those are excellent paints Willy, Looks like I might have to break down and load up my trusty ol' Commando in FSX so I can slap the new paint on her.

All the best,
BB686:US-flag:

Willy
November 9th, 2016, 05:24
Thanks for the good words!

Well done Willy! The paints look great.

I've thought about doing a couple of South American paints to the C-46. 1980's period scheme. One in a LANICA scheme and another one in a LACSA scheme with the name Chorotega. One day.

Interestingly enough, I just downloaded a few pics of the LACSA "Chorotega" C-46. That tail logo looks like it might be a bit difficult. But given enough time to sort it out, it should be doable.

I took a break last night with all the election goings on. But I did get the Eastern almost done. Just need to go back over it for some "QC" checks. Already found one issue last night that I fixed before I went to bed.

Willy
November 10th, 2016, 07:38
Just uploaded the Eastern paint to the library here.

Willy
November 10th, 2016, 17:41
Carabische Lucht Transport of the Netherlands Antilles

Willy
November 12th, 2016, 08:55
Alaska Airlines "Super 46" circa 1955. Up now in the library here.

manfredc3
November 12th, 2016, 12:16
I'm loving the Alaska paint.

Thanks Willy