PDA

View Full Version : Coastline water textures

big-mike
September 21st, 2016, 07:42
Found this on
https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiela_M5KDPAhXOJSwKHRunBucQFggeMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fde.flyawaysimulation.com%2F&usg=AFQjCNGaQTifMr40Z6OqxjlMrq0nhKeCsA

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/17952/fsx-replacement-water-textures/

Replacement water textures near the coastline from Aime Leclerc.
Looks nice.
I am waiting for 10years that someone would do correct waterclasses,but it seems,it will be a dream forever.
Mike

Toekin
September 21st, 2016, 10:07
Mike Try Rex Essential Plus Overdrive It made my FSX look and fill a lot better. I am sure it will go on sale in DEC.
Dan

big-mike
September 21st, 2016, 10:24
Thanks Dan.
I have REX OD,which settings do you use?
Mike

RobM
September 21st, 2016, 10:36
I have REX3 and REX4. But one thing I use in addition, and which for me make such a big difference in the water appearance, are the freeware
substitute FSWC water shader files from Striking Software.

http://www.strikingsoftware.com/fswc.shtml

The site has been dormant for a long time, but the software is still there.

I could never get the FSWC+ with it's adjustable sliders to work on my system. But I used the FSWC:Lite instead, which comes with about a dozen
presets (make a back up first and then elect the preset you want). You can actually make changes on the fly in FSX to see what the different preset
shaders do (just make sure to pause FSX first, use the ALT+Enter to shrink to desktop, and then choose a preset in the FSWC:Lite console).

I've been using the preset "Orion's Favourite Settings" for the last three years, and for me there is no going back to the original FSX shader settings.

Water appearance in FSX is truly a matter of personal taste, but this is something that for me really improves the REX water appearance.

The freeware PW Sceneries for the various Caribbean islands that are also there are some of my favourites too.

Just thought I would mention. As always, back up first.

Thanks - Rob

big-mike
September 21st, 2016, 10:56
FSWC doesn īt work with Steve`s DX10Fixer.
I tried it a while ago and had big problems to get my default water back.
Water in FSX is looking so bad,even with REX textures---- i hate it.
Mike

RobM
September 21st, 2016, 11:49
Yes, I use DX9. You may have to wait for someone using Steve's DX10 fixer to ask what they're doing with their water appearance and what
water settings they're using (some of the DX10 screenshots here at SOH seem to show quite good looking water, at least from a distance).

FSWC:Lite does have a preset called "FSWC+DX10". Per the notes, it was suppose to be a foretaste of a DX10 compatible FSWC+ (which apparently
never got developed). I don't know if that preset would work with Steve's fixer and produce acceptable results, or if you already tried that in the past.

Another thought: have you asked over at the REX forums to see if anyone over there using DX10 Fixer has some suggestions for improving the
appearamce of REX water with DX10.

Thanks - Rob

big-mike
September 21st, 2016, 12:13
You cannot do very much with REX Textures.
The main problem are the default waterclasses and i canīt understand,
that over 10years no Company offers improved and redone waterclasses.
For every other textures you will find Addons----but nothing for thr ugly
FSX water.
Mike

BendyFlyer
September 21st, 2016, 14:21
I found that these three addons corrected a lot of coastline stuff, first the outline, then the wave dynamics and shorelines and finally the water textures. I recommend them as they picked up the VR of FSX significantly and are for the most part not too bad. First there was FTX-ORBX Global, then FTX-ORBX Global Vector and finally REX Essential Plus.

FTX fixed a lot of terrain outlines and given they did a lot of the globe, cross checks against Google Maps/Earth showed them to be nearly spot on, sufficient for me to start doing flying boat bases and sea/land areas for flying boats. Global Vector seems to add in wave dynamics at the shore, not perfectly but ok. REX for my system did the best with water textures and dynamics but there is no one size fits all with REX so you have to play around with the texture settings to get what is about right for the area your in. The only downside is that you might get these textures just right for the Southern Pacific region but need to develop another set for northern areas and that applys to clouds and sky textures as well but the outcome is very nice for what I see. Downside all three are a pain when it comes to updates and little snags now and then.