PDA

View Full Version : How to lock a window size & position?

LonelyplanetXO
October 7th, 2008, 21:01
Hi folks, Any panel gurus out there? I have a weird problem... I added a gauge set to a model on a pop-up window, manipulated the window size and position in the panel.cfg until it appeared correct, popping up in the centre of the panel at a desirable size with the gauges readable... oh aint i clever :)
But not so much smartie... when I select the plane lo! the blimmin pop up has migrated to the top left corner and the gauges are tiny!!! Panel .cfg hasnt changed so patiently reset it and the very next time I select the aircraft it appears bottom right and huge - with only a couple of gauges visible... aaargh!
There must be something basic I'm doing wrong...any suggestions?

LPXO

pfflyers
October 8th, 2008, 09:39
I've created a lot of pop-up windows in my time - with a few mishaps along the way, but I can't remember having a window migrate on me. That one I don't have an answer for.

As far as the size of the window and the size of the gauges in the window, I've started omitting the: "window_size=x.xxx,x.xxx" entry altogether and letting the: "size_mm=xxx,xxx" determine the window size. That way if I configure it right in the first place the gauges always come out the size I expect them to.

LonelyplanetXO
October 8th, 2008, 10:20
Thanks Pfflyers, I'll try that. I'm sure this is something basic. To explain a bit further what I'm trying to achieve, I'm want to create a new feature for FS - a helmet mounted HUD in the VC that moves with the pilots head - the type you might see in a modern fighter eg: F22, SU 37 etc. A while ago I noticed that if you bring up a 2D pop up window in the VC view it moves with your head movements, so thought "what if you made the pop up window transparent and mounted HUD gauges on it?" It works brilliantly, esp with track IR, buuut there's this stupid problem which occurs in both 2D & 3D views. Why is it that the GPS window for example, stays put but my pop up wont? I'll keep tinkering...

LPXO

pfflyers
October 8th, 2008, 10:31
What you are trying to do sounds pretty neat. I hope you get it figured out.

I still can't fathom why the window won't stay where you put it.

Hopefully someone else might jump in here with some new insight.

Tom Clayton
October 8th, 2008, 22:32
Don't forget the position= line either. There's nine possible choices, 0 through 8, beginning in the top-left and ending in the bottom-right. I don't know if there's a "default" position, so without it, you may get some strange behaviors.

LonelyplanetXO
October 9th, 2008, 09:54
Thanks guys,

I'm now starting to suspect this may be a problem with a specific model, so whipped up a quick helmet mounted HUD last night for Daisuke's F18, just to see if it worked. Short answer seems yes, although it needs a bit of work (colours are too dark)... Here's an example, looking from the cockpit...