PDA

View Full Version : Flight of Fantasy!

DaveQ
September 13th, 2016, 08:27
I've got (hopefully temporarily) hooked on MCX and merges. It's a hoot what you can hang on stuff! Here's a fantasy CF-104D in 225 OCU colours totin' a couple of GBU-12 Paveways curtesy of SSW's weapons pack:cool:!!.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/DaveQ-photos/CF-104D%20225%20OCU%20Pave_zpsejdtvvb3.jpg

I make no apologies for historical inaccuracies/implausibilities, just a bit of fun!

DaveQ

Bjoern
September 13th, 2016, 12:34
Misses an RAF EB-66 alongside with a Pave Spike for target illumination. :a1310:

heywooood
September 13th, 2016, 16:29
Misses an RAF EB-66 alongside with a Pave Spike for target illumination. :a1310:

assets will laze the target from the ground, over..

Sundog
September 13th, 2016, 17:07
That's awesome Dave and to me, the beauty of FS; It allows us to do what ever we want, regardless of historical accuracy. That's one reason I love all of the models of planes that were never built or didn't make it into production. We get to use them however we like in here. That looks cool and I'm glad your enjoying it. Thanks for the pic. :)

Jafo
September 13th, 2016, 22:37
And they called this one "the Widowmaker" ....at least a 105 was 'just' a 'Thud' ...;)

DaveQ
September 14th, 2016, 01:40
And they called this one "the Widowmaker" ....at least a 105 was 'just' a 'Thud' ...;)

..as it smacks into the ground to the strains of Queen's 'Another One Bites the Dust':biggrin-new:!!

In truth, by the time NATO countries were through with it, the Starfighter's accident rate was no worse than any other fighter of the same era. It was a combination of poor training, inadequate maintenance and the operational environment it was required to operate in that lead to early high losses in Germany in particular. It was an aircraft never really designed for low-level nuclear strike in the turbulent, lead-grey skies of Northern Europe. By analogy try using the F-105 as a bomber interceptor...!

DaveQ

scotth6
September 14th, 2016, 02:19
..as it smacks into the ground to the strains of Queen's 'Another One Bites the Dust':biggrin-new:!!

It was a combination of poor training, inadequate maintenance and the operational environment it was required to operate in that lead to early high losses in Germany in particular.
DaveQ

Not to mention the infamous downward firing ejection seat :dejection: which at least early on led to it's atrocious fatality rate, and probably it's bad reputation.

Cheers,

DaveQ
September 14th, 2016, 02:28
Not to mention the infamous downward firing ejection seat :dejection: which at least early on led to it's atrocious fatality rate, and probably it's bad reputation.

Cheers,

Employing a downward-firing ejector seat in a low-level strike fighter doesn't seem the smartest thing to do....:dizzy:

Jafo
September 14th, 2016, 05:35
Dave....here's a 'fun' link....
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/2/2/1360449/-The-not-quite-right-stuff-F-104-Starfighter

I really liked the quote...."If you wanted a 104 just buy a piece of land and wait...." ....;)

I always liked the shape.... but their track record was abysmal...;)

DaveQ
September 14th, 2016, 09:01
Thanks for the link Jafo; very interesting reading. As I said, by the time it had bedded in to the NATO armoury, it was no worse than contemporary fighters. The Italian Air Force made do with it till the very late delivery of F-16's arrived in 2004; as such it was the last of its generation in front-line service. As the article points out, with very little development, it could have been an F-16 long before the F-16!

Still a beautiful little aeroplane though, especially the two-seater.

DaveQ
September 20th, 2016, 02:22
Here's one that's a bit more realistic (in relative terms obviously!!) - CF104D from 1961/2 with Firestreaks

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq136/DaveQ-photos/CF-104D%2074FS%201_zps9cafchvd.jpg

DaveQ