PDA

View Full Version : New Rig...

ThinkingManNeil
September 13th, 2016, 08:25
Well I took the plunge last week and had Canada Computers put together a custom PC for me as my seven year old Dell Studio XPS 9000 was showing serious wear and age issues (numerous crashes - mouse would go dead, monitor would become an unreadable, shimmering, pixelated mish mash, several apparitions of the Blue Screen of Death), and I can't run and FS programs or even Google Earth anymore. Time to put old Dobbin down I figured. So here's the basic rundown on the new unit:

Intel Core i7-6700K Quad-Core Processor | Socket LGA1151, 4.0Ghz, 8MB L3 Cache, 14nm

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO motherboard

G.SKILL Trident Z Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz

Samsung 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive

Western Digital Black 4TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache

Seagate Desktop HDD 2TB 3.5" SATA3 64MB Cache

ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X (STRIX-GTX1080-8G-GAMING) | 1607Mhz Core Clock, 10010Mhz video card

ASUS (DRW-24F1ST/BLK/B) Internal 24x DVD Writer

Corsair HX1000i 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified, High Performance Power Supply

Deepcool Maelstrom 240 Liquid CPU Cooler | 120mm PWM Fan

Corsair Graphite Series 760T Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Windowed Gaming Case with two 140mm Red LED fans

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit

I know I went into a bit of overkill on hard drive memory, but I've a lot of old aviation and landscape photography slides of mine that I want to scan, and I'm hoping to get back into my photography once my duties as caregiver are no longer required, so I figured I'll need the space.

I'm going to do clean installs of both FSX and FS9 on the 1TB SSD, but I'm going to stash the Add On scenery files on the 4TB HD and maybe some Add On aircraft as well. I specifically instructed Canada Computers to leave the SSD free for my Flight Sims, so they installed the Windows 7 OS on the 2TB HD. I'll need some advice on how to arrange the FS scenery files on the 4TB drive once I've got things basically set up with the rest of the new PC transferring music, photos, documents, URL's, etc., from my old system, setting up my security. There's a bit of a delay right now in doing that as I discovered the cable from my old system to my 22" LG flat screen monitor is not compatible with the new system. I'm waiting to hear back from CC on that before I set up FS...or anything else for that matter...

So, onwards and upwards!

N.

wombat666
September 13th, 2016, 08:50
Better to have plenty of backup space and not need it than need it and not have it!
:encouragement:
Good choice with the SSD by the way.

mike_cyul
September 13th, 2016, 10:53
I just had Canada Computers do a new computer for me, too - and it's pretty similar. Fast RAM and the GTX 1080 = FSX and P3D are amazingly smooth....

And this is probably just an exception, but they forgot to connect some components, like the optical drive, not even any wiring - so to be safe, double check before you take it home!

Mike

Jafo
September 13th, 2016, 16:33
Not too scruffy a system....though I would have partitioned the SSD and put the OS AND FSX on it....one in each. [as I did for my 512G Samsung XP941 M.2 PCIe x4 SSD], considering so many people complain of just how long it takes to load FSX. I'd never go back to having it on a platter...;)

Forgot.....the one single biggest reason for using a SSD at all is for the OS itself.

cavaricooper
September 14th, 2016, 02:45
Neil-

Looks great... I recently upgraded as well and would wholeheartedly recommend M2 drives for your OS. I have just the OS on a Samsung 256G M2, P3D on a 1TB Samsung 850 Pro and FSX on a 512 Samsung 850 Pro.

I hope to relegate platter drives to storage only.... It would be hard to go back to them for anything else.

A good UPS & a solid CPU OC and you'll be very pleased- enjoy!

Carl