PDA

View Full Version : Aeroplane Heaven – Javelin Gloster FAW9 preview

YoYo
September 13th, 2016, 08:24
Interesting news!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/14257659_786315118173530_5900154721005480209_o.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xta1/t31.0-8/14311417_786315068173535_1470327666317472608_o.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xla1/t31.0-8/14311471_786315168173525_5273343024189101865_o.jpg

So we decided to make ... another Gloster. Work in progress hence the blacked out cockpit. To get some of the questions out of the way.
1. FAW9 with the British radar.
2. "That" livery will be done.
3. No tacpack functionality.
4. The other projects we have on are progressing nicely.
5. Yes we listened to Kenny Loggins exclusively during most of the build.

wombat666
September 13th, 2016, 08:52
Another overlooked 'Early' RAF fighter, great to see.
:triumphant:
BTW, was that 'Welcome My friends To The Show That Never Ends' .......?

thefrog
September 13th, 2016, 09:11
It's actually called the Gloster Javelin, from the manufacturer of the Gladiator and the Meteor, amongst others. One of my favourite jets from that era (I used to have a metal scale model of it) so I'm looking forward to it!

noddy
September 13th, 2016, 10:46
Be nice to get an updated version of this Brit classic.

Bjoern
September 13th, 2016, 12:38
As much as I like to see some oddballs in the sim, I have the faint feeling that there won't be much of a market for this bird lest it comes with some features that would truly make it special (see A2A Stratocruiser).

pilto von pilto
September 13th, 2016, 14:37
As much as I like to see some oddballs in the sim, I have the faint feeling that there won't be much of a market for this bird lest it comes with some features that would truly make it special (see A2A Stratocruiser).

That's ok Bjoern. As sentient beings who like aircraft sometimes we make/develop things just for the giggles see the Mitsubishi zero and the Miles. We thank you for your concern and advice.

Sundog
September 13th, 2016, 14:45
This will be in my new hanger (PC)! :)

Ian Warren
September 13th, 2016, 15:23
After the Meteor, this will be a very interesting one, you do have to like the very interesting, what we need now is an RAF base or maybe a 1950/60's Farnborough scenery to display the types :adoration:

Rubberlegs
September 13th, 2016, 15:47
When this one comes 'Out', I will for-sure be 'In' ! .......The Javelin is true 'old-time heavy-metal' and that's good enough for me, no matter how 'interesting' or 'un-interesting' it may seem. She's on the Bucket-list !!

Walt
Fly high...Punch holes in the Sky!

bazzar
September 13th, 2016, 20:35
All these 50's and 60's jets were important steps in aviation history. The Javelin took over from the Meteor as the RAF's front-line fighter. These were the Spitfires of their day. We love them all.:engel016:

thefrog
September 14th, 2016, 01:25
Please continue to do the 'oddball' aircraft! There are enough Cessnas and P-51s.

ce_zeta
September 14th, 2016, 02:24
Points 2 and 5 need more clarification.

Paul K
September 14th, 2016, 03:37
These were the Spitfires of their day.

In so far that the Javelin was an RAF fighter, I'd agree, but the similarity ends there. The RAF elders of my family weren't very impressed with the aircraft. That said, it's something different and quite interesting, and may well be my first A.H. purchase. Well done on your choice of subject - it looks very nice indeed.

Bjoern
September 14th, 2016, 13:06
That's ok Bjoern. As sentient beings who like aircraft sometimes we make/develop things just for the giggles see the Mitsubishi zero and the Miles. We thank you for your concern and advice.

Well, if money ain't an issue, develop away!

Mach3DS
September 14th, 2016, 13:14

With that said....please make your next giggle fest centered around either BAC 221 or TSR2. :encouragement: although if $$ is or isn't a problem, I think the TSR2 would fetch you $$.

This one looks great BTW. Fine choice.

Stickshaker
September 14th, 2016, 13:17
Interesting plane! Will the deep stall characteristics due to the delta-T-tail configuration be represented in the FM?<o:p></o:p>

bazzar
September 14th, 2016, 13:51
Looks like it. At least we are getting all sorts of interesting challenges, programming the flight dynamics right now!:engel016:

pilto von pilto
September 14th, 2016, 15:48

Not everything a person/company does has to be about the biggest returns. In this case it's closer to a personal project that we just wanted to do and hope that other people like it. I think most modellers have that folder (or 4! ) of projects, which whilst might not be a super commercial success, they just want to make one.

Point clarification for the fellow who wanted it.
Point 2 :
That livery is the redwhite XH897 which features on the cover of scale aviation modeler magazine october 2003.

Point 5 :
It's not an f14 but it certainly puts you in the mind of a maverick who lives in a dangerous zone :encouragement:

Oh and dont think that the British cornered the market with oddball aircraft. Our American cousins had some interesting stuff as well.

:engel016:

AussieMan
September 14th, 2016, 18:56
Not everything a person/company does has to be about the biggest returns. :engel016:

Try telling that to ORBX.

AussieMan
September 14th, 2016, 18:58
Not everything a person/company does has to be about the biggest returns.

:engel016:

Try telling that to ORBX.

dhazelgrove
September 15th, 2016, 00:51
https://s20.postimg.org/lyd708dil/fsx_2016_09_14_17_01_23_56.jpg

Point clarification for the fellow who wanted it.
Point 2 :
That livery is the redwhite XH897 which features on the cover of scale aviation modeler magazine october 2003.

This is the scheme, for those who want to view it.

More power to those who want to take a chance on developing aircraft like these. I'll buy it, at least.

Dave

ce_zeta
September 15th, 2016, 01:38
Not everything a person/company does has to be about the biggest returns. In this case it's closer to a personal project that we just wanted to do and hope that other people like it. I think most modellers have that folder (or 4! ) of projects, which whilst might not be a super commercial success, they just want to make one. Point clarification for the fellow who wanted it. Point 2 : That livery is the redwhite XH897 which features on the cover of scale aviation modeler magazine october 2003. Point 5 : It's not an f14 but it certainly puts you in the mind of a maverick who lives in a dangerous zone :encouragement: Oh and dont think that the British cornered the market with oddball aircraft. Our American cousins had some interesting stuff as well. :engel016: Thank you for the info. Yeap, nice livery.

WarHorse47
October 24th, 2016, 18:29
Wow. Very nice. I'm more than ready and excited for this one. :redfire:

Ian Warren
October 24th, 2016, 19:16
Wow. Very nice. I'm more than ready and excited for this one. :redfire:
Jock , It really has that look, you gotta love these even for the design its so 'THUNDERBIRDS' .. not the USAF display team .. Gerry and Sylvia Anderson'S TV show of the 1960's :adoration:

WarHorse47
October 24th, 2016, 19:29
Jock , It really has that look, you gotta love these even for the design its so 'THUNDERBIRDS' .. not the USAF display team .. Gerry and Sylvia Anderson'S TV show of the 1960's :adoration:Ah, yes..

Just so happens I'm reading about the Gloster Javelin at the moment. My second read of "Jet Jockeys - Flying the RAF's first jet fighters" by Peter Caygill. First chapter was on the Meteor and the last chapter on the Javelin. Very fascinating perspective on the technical and flight history from pilots of the era.

Mach3DS
October 25th, 2016, 05:13
Ever consider doing an Me-262? It's right up your alley! I'd buy the 2 pack of Meteor and 262!:encouragement: the only 262 is now pretty aged. Even with the most recent update.Ok so honestly there's actually 2 aircraft I woukd love to see your team produce. 262 and/or an F-86D/L. I think you would do them justice!

Cirrus N210MS
October 25th, 2016, 05:43
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etk_Hcmbb8o

Josh Patterson
October 25th, 2016, 14:40
Already have Virtavia's, but this one looks like it has a bit more finesse. If the cockpit is like the F3F and B-17, I will enjoy it much more! (Will it also be a bit more procedure based as far as getting it up and running like your F3F?) I read in a thread that you guys were also working on some T-bird Lightnings? Is that true and if so are they still in the works? Would like to round out the Lightning hangar!

Josh Patterson
October 25th, 2016, 14:42
Ever consider doing an Me-262? It's right up your alley! I'd buy the 2 pack of Meteor and 262!:encouragement: the only 262 is now pretty aged. Even with the most recent update.Ok so honestly there's actually 2 aircraft I woukd love to see your team produce. 262 and/or an F-86D/L. I think you would do them justice! YES!! A Saberdog! Awesome idea!:encouragement:

Mach3DS
October 25th, 2016, 19:06
Or if you want to stick with classic British, the Hunter would be fantastic! :engel016: LOL

WarHorse47
October 26th, 2016, 05:48
Can we stay on topic?? This topic is about the upcoming Javelin which I'm sure that AH has already spent a lot of time developing. They are not going to change to the Saber or Hunter, and if they do they'll likely let us know. Sheesh... :untroubled:

falcon409
October 26th, 2016, 06:04
Can we stay on topic?? This topic is about the upcoming Javelin which I'm sure that AH has already spent a lot of time developing. They are not going to change to the Saber or Hunter, and if they do they'll likely let us know. Sheesh... :untroubled:
Agreed. . .amazing how quickly things can get off-topic once someone "wishes" they'd do something other than what the original post was about. If you want to talk about those wishes, start a new thread.:dizzy:

Mach3DS
October 26th, 2016, 06:30
Sorry guys! Got us of track....but, I did use the angel emoji! Also, I was not suggesting they scrap the project. I think we need more of these kinds of aircraft! Lesser done types. It's refreshing to see a developer taking a chance on the non Mustang Cessna piper....

WarHorse47
October 26th, 2016, 08:00
I finished the book I mentioned in my earlier post (#25). Quite fascinating to read about the evolution and quirks on various British aircraft from the Meteor to the Javelin. And yes there are chapters on other types as well including the Hunter and early Sabers. With each type the pilots had to adapt to different flying and interception techniques, especially when trying to intercept Canberras and Vulcans. Anyways, the book helps put in perspective the varying flight dynamics the FS developers are attempting to incorporate in their releases.

At the moment I'm hoping we might get an update on the Javelin and any VC screenshots.

DaveQ
October 27th, 2016, 02:19
I remember as an Air Cadet spending a week at RAF Waterbeach in Cambridgeshire around 1960 or 61. There were two Hunter FGA.9 units - 1 and 54 Sqdns - and 64 Sqdn with Javelins. I got the impression they didn't like them much. I asked at a briefing how exactly they proposed to intercept supersonic Bounders. Essentially stand off to one side and fire Firestreaks at them as they shot past! They (the Javelins) had a habit of occasionally exploding when starting up, and I saw it happen. The starter cartridge fired but the turbine jammed sending the turbine shaft hurtling back through the engine. Grim!! The main spar cracked, the panelling over the engine flew off and out staggered two very shaken crew. I wonder if AH will incorporate that into the failures registry!!:biggrin-new:

Motormouse
October 27th, 2016, 02:51
Ah, but watch out, the Javelin has a sting in its' tail.... http://sussexhistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=9885.0;wap2

My father (a firefighter) was first on scene at this crash, aeroplane landed completely 'flat' (I have a picture somewhere)
David Dick made a commentary of the event from 39,000ft to ejection; used to be available on the ejection history site.

ttfn

Pete

Motormouse
October 27th, 2016, 02:57
oops, double posted somehow.

Timmy74
November 17th, 2016, 16:33
Hello Bazzar,

Any more news or updates on this little gem?

She is one oddly looking aircraft but i am strangely attracted to it!?!? But then again...my favourite aircraft is the DHC-4 Caribou!

Cheers,
Tim.

thefrog
November 18th, 2016, 00:24
Hello Bazzar,

Any more news or updates on this little gem?

She is one oddly looking aircraft but i am strangely attracted to it!?!? But then again...my favourite aircraft is the DHC-4 Caribou!

Cheers,
Tim.

There's an update on the AH Facebook page - this is a good place to find developer's latest news usually

Timmy74
November 18th, 2016, 00:33
There's an update on the AH Facebook page - this is a good place to find developer's latest news usually

Well slap my belly and call me FAT!!!

They have only posted something of the Javelin in the last hour on FB....nothing since September!!!

That is why I ask the question here! Thanks for being sarcastic!

No more update questions from me anymore!

thefrog
November 18th, 2016, 00:55
Well slap my belly and call me FAT!!!

They have only posted something of the Javelin in the last hour on FB....nothing since September!!!

That is why I ask the question here! Thanks for being sarcastic!

No more update questions from me anymore!

I wasn't being sarcastic - apologies if it came across that way.

YoYo
November 18th, 2016, 09:21
https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/15156761_826082377530137_5399354281981919916_o.jpg

Timmy74
April 28th, 2017, 00:24
Now before the frog chimes in..... I have just checked on Facebook, nothing mentioned since last year! So now it maybe safe to ask?

How is this project going? Any updates or has she gone to "the bone yard"?

Cheers,
Tim.

spatialpro
April 28th, 2017, 00:42
Also, seeing as the appropriate missiles are already available will she be TacPack-ed (please please please)?!

thefrog
April 28th, 2017, 01:30
Now before the frog chimes in..... I have just checked on Facebook, nothing mentioned since last year! So now it maybe safe to ask?

Cheers,
Tim.

Hi
(Just chiming in)

Martyn
April 28th, 2017, 02:20

Cheers,
Tim.

Definitely not gone to the bone yard. More updates should be available soon :encouragement:

Martyn

Timmy74
April 28th, 2017, 02:37
Hi
(Just chiming in)

GOLD!!! I like the cut of your jib :biggrin-new:

WarHorse47
April 30th, 2017, 19:31
Definitely not gone to the bone yard. More updates should be available soon :encouragement:

MartynGood to hear. :untroubled: I was kind of wondering why there was no mention of it on the JF "In Development" page.

WarHorse47
June 8th, 2017, 15:04

MartynHmmm... Still waiting for those updates.... :bump:

fsafranek
June 9th, 2017, 08:55
Hmmm... Still waiting for those updates.... :bump:
Perhaps this is what you're looking for.

https://www.justflight.com/product/javelin-faw-8-9:ernaehrung004:

Timmy74
June 9th, 2017, 23:27
Perhaps this is what you're looking for.

https://www.justflight.com/product/javelin-faw-8-9:ernaehrung004:

ERROR 404!!!

As for the "development" forum on this aircraft at Just Flight......YAWN its old! There has not been an update on this in ages.

Just sitting back and waiting very patiently.....

Martyn
June 14th, 2017, 00:49
This is the correct link - https://www.justflight.com/product/javelin-faw-8-9

The focus is currently on the VC10 so the Javelin is taking a bit of a backseat. Any news on its progress will be available on our website, social media and in our newsletter/in-dev email.

Thanks
Martyn

WarHorse47
July 12th, 2018, 11:19
This is the correct link - https://www.justflight.com/product/javelin-faw-8-9

The focus is currently on the VC10 so the Javelin is taking a bit of a backseat. Any news on its progress will be available on our website, social media and in our newsletter/in-dev email.

Thanks
MartynLooks like it's been dropped altogether as it's no longer on the JF "In Development" page. :dejection:

blanston12
July 12th, 2018, 11:27
Disappointing, but not the first time, they had a 787 in there 'in development' just that was dropped not that long ago.

bazzar
July 12th, 2018, 13:57
It hasn't been dropped. Just Flight are no longer controlling development. At AH, we have some other priorities which have put the Javelin back. That is all.:engel016:

YoYo
April 17th, 2019, 22:35
Javelin comes back.

http://i.imgur.com/qtR5vmuh.jpg (https://imgur.com/qtR5vmu)

http://i.imgur.com/ypPFw14h.jpg (https://imgur.com/ypPFw14)

http://i.imgur.com/T9ad9mPh.jpg (https://imgur.com/T9ad9mP)

Pictures from FB of AH.

thefrog
April 17th, 2019, 22:51
That's great news. I was worried this project had been put to the bottom of the queue in favour of the inexplicable trend towards airliners!

Timmy74
April 17th, 2019, 23:38
EXCELLENT!!!

I hope AH do a T.11 Vampire and/or a Sea Vixen to go along with the RAF Jets of the Cold War? :wink-new::wink-new::wink-new:

Ferry_vO
April 17th, 2019, 23:52
Says p3d v4. 4+ only..

mal998
April 18th, 2019, 04:30
I love your texturing. Ladder, panel just excellent.

WarHorse47
April 18th, 2019, 06:22
Says p3d v4. 4+ only..Saw that. Is it referring to the images or final release?? :pirate:

Sundog
April 18th, 2019, 09:37
Yes! I had also thought this beast had been forgotten. Looking forward to this one and loving the PBR on it. :encouragement:

pilto von pilto
April 18th, 2019, 17:36
Saw that. Is it referring to the images or final release?? :pirate:

Final release.

To all.

The screenshots are running at real time so if you're a gamer thats what you see if you're playing the latest farcry or assassins creed or forza etc. It's not a render. We like renders but some people get a little confused thinking that a render is a screenshot from the sim ( despite saying it isnt but then ... reading ) .

This way you fellas
a. Get to see it closer to the real thing that you can run
b. get to see a little behind the scenes

That last one is a little controversial. A LOT of people dont like to see WIP or behind the scenes and they are very forward in coming out and saying so. I happen to think a little behind the scenes is interesting. We'll be doing a little more of that sort of thing in the future on a few unannounced projects in the pipeline. So be warned if you dont like new content/behind the scenes get your pitchforks ready :biggrin-new:

Also should this thread get moved to the p3d forum ? I mean it is no longer being developed for FSX. I think the original poster needs to ask.

WarHorse47
April 18th, 2019, 18:51
Thanks for the response.

Yes, I'm interested in any WIP as long as its for FSX. I'm not ready for P3D as yet.

It's always good to learn what is going on and what stage a product has reached, along with any issues, etc.

Perhaps the moderators can close out this thread and someone can start a new one in the P3D forum?? :wiggle:

pilto von pilto
April 19th, 2019, 16:28
Thanks for the response.

Yes, I'm interested in any WIP as long as its for FSX. I'm not ready for P3D as yet.

It's always good to learn what is going on and what stage a product has reached, along with any issues, etc.

Perhaps the moderators can close out this thread and someone can start a new one in the P3D forum?? :wiggle:

Agree

Thefrog :

Saw your post today but not yesterday. P'raps it was me rather than the internet.
You bring up a good point.

The issue is that the community drives the payware developers choices. GA/tubeliner fans are where the money is. They also tend to be running p3d. Therefore most pay - and some free - developers are going to take a look at that statistic and say " hey we need to court the GA/tubeliner crowd ". But there is a silver lining. With payware devs leaving the warbird development cycle ( not us we still need to make warbirds just not as many ) I see the rise of freeware authors. Sure you might not get the <insert plane here > but you will see newer / or upgraded developments of old favourites. The time line might be longer. The project might not get fully finished but I do see the freeware authors filling the hole.

I had a longer post made but got logged out before I could submit and it was lost to the internet. But basically it boils down to this - the community doesnt want warbirds any more.

dvj
April 19th, 2019, 17:42
Agree

Thefrog :

Saw your post today but not yesterday. P'raps it was me rather than the internet.
You bring up a good point.

The issue is that the community drives the payware developers choices. GA/tubeliner fans are where the money is. They also tend to be running p3d. Therefore most pay - and some free - developers are going to take a look at that statistic and say " hey we need to court the GA/tubeliner crowd ". But there is a silver lining. With payware devs leaving the warbird development cycle ( not us we still need to make warbirds just not as many ) I see the rise of freeware authors. Sure you might not get the <insert plane here > but you will see newer / or upgraded developments of old favourites. The time line might be longer. The project might not get fully finished but I do see the freeware authors filling the hole.

I had a longer post made but got logged out before I could submit and it was lost to the internet. But basically it boils down to this - the community doesnt want warbirds any more.

I would love the see the data that supports that statement. Many have been waiting on a B-25 for a long time. But we get... a NAZI bomber. Who wanted that? Some German guy hiding in Argentina I guess. LOL

-d

bazzar
April 19th, 2019, 19:32
I would think a large amount of the German population of this forum would be significantly offended by your comment. Putting a LOL behind it does not excuse it in any way either. The Heinkel is no more a "NAZI" bomber than the ME109 is a "NAZI" fighter. Just how vocal have you been, exactly, on that subject?

Whether you like or agree with it or not, the market for warbirds is in decline. Especially in FSX.

You already have two, more than capable developers working on the B-25.

I would earnestly suggest that this thread be transferred to the P3DV4 forum, hopefully we can then avoid any more senseless comments like the last.:engel016:

Sundog
April 19th, 2019, 20:26
I have to say I'm quite enjoying the He-111. In fact, I would like a Ju-88 to go along with it, since I consider the Ju-88 one of the most under represented WW2 bombers in flightsim. Hopefully John will stop by soon and give us an update on his B-25. Not just because it's a B-25, but because the P-39 comes after. ;)

And to stay on topic, I'm still really looking forward to this Javelin. :)

vortex
April 20th, 2019, 03:55
The issue is that the community drives the payware developers choices. GA/tubeliner fans are where the money is. They also tend to be running p3d. Therefore most pay - and some free - developers are going to take a look at that statistic and say " hey we need to court the GA/tubeliner crowd ".

I have no idea what the P3D stats look like, but a look at the latest Steam info for FSX shows that developers are missing out on a huge number of potential customers: https://steamdb.info/app/314160/graphs/ - an average of well over 2000 players per day! Surprisingly, the user trend in the last few years seems to have been generally up (or, more recently, steady) rather than down as many in the P3D world predicted. I would hazard a guess that there are probably more warbird flyers in FSX so the AH decision to develop the Javelin solely for P3D looks even more odd.

bazzar
April 20th, 2019, 04:32
It may well seem odd to you but if you don't develop for a living then all the statistics in the world are of no import. The plain fact is that we see a downturn in warbird sales and especially in FSX. To develop a project for two simulators, especially with the demand for PBR is both costly in time and resources. If others can afford to continue to do it then good for them, we can't. You will notice a swing away from FSX and a change in subject matter among a number of key developers in this business. If that does not provide any clues then you obviously have to draw your own conclusions.

We have long been keen supporters of FSX and will continue to support it where appropriate. We also have a business and a reputation built around warbirds. We do not make decisions like this one, lightly. :engel016:

vortex
April 20th, 2019, 07:46
You will notice a swing away from FSX and a change in subject matter among a number of key developers in this business. If that does not provide any clues then you obviously have to draw your own conclusions.

We have long been keen supporters of FSX and will continue to support it where appropriate. We also have a business and a reputation built around warbirds. We do not make decisions like this one, lightly. :engel016:

My comments weren't meant to be a criticism of your company - I can fully appreciate the desire to only have to develop for a 64bit sim rather than both. The post I originally quoted was talking about going "where the money is" rather than the practicalities of making two different versions of each aircraft. From an outsider's point of view, if it's just down to the money, then the customer base still seems to be there for FSX. A number of developers have justified not producing for FSX because of their perception that the number of users is dwindling and everyone is going to P3D. This appears not to be the case if you look at the Steam stats. Remember also that those stats only include users of the Steam Edition and not those (probably many more) who still use the Boxed Edition. A business decision to develop exclusively for P3D based on development effort and time expended seems perfectly reasonable. However, one based solely on potential profit ("where the money is") seems flawed when you consider the apparent continuing popularity of FSX. That said, I wish you luck with your future projects.

dvj
April 20th, 2019, 08:41
I would think a large amount of the German population of this forum would be significantly offended by your comment. Putting a LOL behind it does not excuse it in any way either. The Heinkel is no more a "NAZI" bomber than the ME109 is a "NAZI" fighter. Just how vocal have you been, exactly, on that subject?

Whether you like or agree with it or not, the market for warbirds is in decline. Especially in FSX.

You already have two, more than capable developers working on the B-25.

I would earnestly suggest that this thread be transferred to the P3DV4 forum, hopefully we can then avoid any more senseless comments like the last.:engel016:

My point was that the poster said warbirds are in decline, yet they saw fit to introduce a German NAZI WWII bomber which contradicts the statement. No LOL from me on that point.

bazzar
April 20th, 2019, 13:48
Obviously my points have not been understood. We are not withdrawing for FSX, we are not ceasing making warbirds. If you follow our Facebook page for example, you will see posts for new Spitfires and Hurricanes, the Javelin and more.

Again, as developers in the field with a business plan, we see a downturn in FSX sales, especially warbirds, and a marked increase in P3D. The "stats" on Heinkel would suggest a 3 to 1 ratio in favour of P3D. This indicates to us a significant market interest in PBR and what it can bring to models, especially warbirds. From a financial point of view, that is all we are interested in. Statistics can be manipulated. Sales results can't.:engel016:

vortex
April 20th, 2019, 13:58
We are not withdrawing for FSX, we are not ceasing making warbirds. If you follow our Facebook page for example, you will see posts for new Spitfires and Hurricanes, the Javelin and more.

My apologies. From earlier posts I had the impression that the Javelin was going to be exclusively for P3D.

pilto von pilto
April 20th, 2019, 16:19
My apologies. From earlier posts I had the impression that the Javelin was going to be exclusively for P3D.

Except you are right the Javelin is a P3d exclusive. Hence why we are asking it to be moved.

Baz wrote

Obviously my points have not been understood. We are not withdrawing for FSX, we are not ceasing making warbirds. If you follow our Facebook page for example, you will see posts for new Spitfires and Hurricanes, the Javelin and more.

Again, as developers in the field with a business plan, we see a downturn in FSX sales, especially warbirds, and a marked increase in P3D. The "stats" on Heinkel would suggest a 3 to 1 ratio in favour of P3D. This indicates to us a significant market interest in PBR and what it can bring to models, especially warbirds. From a financial point of view, that is all we are interested in. Statistics can be manipulated. Sales results can't.:engel016:

In response to DVJ :

My point was that the poster said warbirds are in decline, yet they saw fit to introduce a German NAZI WWII bomber which contradicts the statement. No LOL from me on that point.

Taking baz's response :
1. Baz's response was regarding warbirds. The Javelin is p3d exclusive. His response was not about fsx/p3d exclusivity it was about warbird decline. The comma between " We are not withdrawing for FSX, " and " we are not ceasing making warbirds. " denotes 2 separate topics. The second half paragraph was indeed about the fsx/p3d question but I am sure it was not indicating that the content of the second paragraph have a bearing on the content of the first.

So you are right the Javelin is p3d exclusive. We are seeing more P3d users buying our products than FSx users. The time to make an FSX version ( code /materials/functionality ) is greater than the return. Sorry but usage rates of simulators doesn't equate to purchase rates.

DVJ:

In regards to the heinkel you dont, nor would we expect you to have , any knowledge of what we are working on or in fact how long the heinkel was in planning for. Not sure what your point actually is?

To all :

1. We are asking the admin to move ( as it still is in development - and yes DVJ it is a warbird ) this thread to P3d. I still think the OP needs to ask. If not can someone message the admin please? I cant seem to do it there's a permissions thing.

2. The Javelin is a p3d exclusive

3. We are seeing a decline in warbird sales. No I dont want to give DVJ or anyone else my bank accounts/sales data... I am not in the running for president of the US :biggrin-new:. But we arent cutting our nose off to spite our face. The warbird community is not buying warbirds. The GA/tubeliner crowd are not buying warbirds.

4. The warbird FS community gravitates to this forum and therefore if you were to base your views on the state of the hobby on this forum alone then you would have a very skewed view point. Case in point look at r/flightsim... not a single warbird and rarely even small GA. It's tubeliners or nothing. Hop onto avsim and it's GA. Look at FSelite mainly ga with sprinkling of tubeliners.

Now luckily I've managed to finally compile Gzdoom on my laptop and it's a nice day outside despite the forecast , so thinking... brutal-doom + beer + sun = spectacular day. :encouragement:

Paul K
April 20th, 2019, 17:10
I would love the see the data that supports that statement. Many have been waiting on a B-25 for a long time. But we get... a NAZI bomber. Who wanted that? Some German guy hiding in Argentina I guess. LOL

-d

In my opinion, that's one of the most absurd statements I've seen on any flight sim forum in recent memory.

greenie
April 20th, 2019, 17:44
Thank you . A Javelin - wonderful

Sundog
January 27th, 2020, 17:59
Any news on this one? We've been waiting a while for this one. I get that people have busy lives outside of flightsim. Just curious for an update.

Thanks,

Ken

pilto von pilto
January 29th, 2020, 20:58
Any news on this one? We've been waiting a while for this one. I get that people have busy lives outside of flightsim. Just curious for an update.

Thanks,

Ken

Cockpit was being worked on only recently. Not much to show really. I mean we could make a "7 bells all is well " type of statement but not much point to that.

Just a reminder the javelin is p3d onl. This thread should have been moved/deleted a while back as it's in the wrong section. Ho hum. :banghead:

Cees Donker
January 29th, 2020, 23:32
Cockpit was being worked on only recently. Not much to show really. I mean we could make a "7 bells all is well " type of statement but not much point to that.

Just a reminder the javelin is p3d onl. This thread should have been moved/deleted a while back as it's in the wrong section. Ho hum. :banghead:

I sent a PM to Tom about the moving of the thread!

Cees

Sundog
January 30th, 2020, 09:45

Thanks, I was just wondering since we hadn't heard anything in a while. Also, P3D is what I would want it for, so :encouragement:

StormILM
January 30th, 2020, 12:42
If I had to guess, one thing that may be shifting things around a bit on the timelines of completed projects is that they are now being given the PBR treatment which I gather is fairly time consuming as well. This is another project I am also looking forward to.

bazzar
January 30th, 2020, 13:02
Correct, PBR materirals take three times the time to create. Also if you use specialist mapping and texturing programmes as we do, it takes even longer. The results are worth the extra effort but it eats production times. As time progresses, smaller commercial developers (and some larger ones!) are going to find it harder to maintain production/cashflow levels. One can only hope that FS2020 has some answers...:engel016:

StormILM
January 30th, 2020, 13:06
Correct, PBR materirals take three times the time to create. Also if you use specialist mapping and texturing programmes as we do, it takes even longer. The results are worth the extra effort but it eats production times. As time progresses, smaller commercial developers (and some larger ones!) are going to find it harder to maintain production/cashflow levels. One can only hope that FS2020 has some answers...:engel016:

I am glad you mentioned all of this, especially the costs now associated with this type of development which as I see inside some of my own circles is higher than ever. The last few releases you guys have done have taken things to new levels which I know will only get better. The two at the top of my list from you guys are the Caravelle and Sabreliners. My former boss owned two Sabreliners and I serviced those and many other ramp transients over 30 years ago. Aside from that, always been a Caravelle fan, just a beautiful airframe.

pilto von pilto
January 31st, 2020, 13:54
Oddly enough both the caravelle and the javelin are interior PBR remodelling. In both cases the exteriors were already PBR in the first place and are finished... Well the cockpits are obviously missing as the interiors get cut down for the exterior view... :dizzy: It took some time to get PBR settings and techniques locked down for internals.