PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an effect

falcon409
September 11th, 2016, 18:46
The current scenery I'm working on has a rotating beacon that is different from the default beacon tower seen in most default scenery. I have built the pole and the glass cover at the top with the light fixture inside. What I haven't been able to find is an effect that will give me the rotating colored beacon seen at most airports. Is there such a thing? I've gone through the effects folder in both Sims several times, but found nothing. I was hoping that the default rotating beacon effect would be in the effects folder but it may be part of the object bgl.

roger-wilco-66
September 11th, 2016, 21:30
Did you try to open the original in ModelconverterX? One usually sees right away how it's done.

Since it's a rotating animation I suppose that the whole thing is part of the 3D model and no effect is involved at all. If the beacon light texture is part of the model texture, it would be the proof for that hypothesis.

HTH,
Mark

rdaniell
September 12th, 2016, 04:44
There is a stand alone beacon object in the default objects. I once placed it on top of a control tower. Works just fine. However, I'm not positive that it will shine through the glass cover on your model.

Try this link to take a look at what's available: http://lc0277.gratisim.fr/sceneobjects/

Look under airport objects

RD

Dimus
September 12th, 2016, 06:16
The beacon lamp object mentioned by Randy can be easily placed in ADE by right clicking on the location and selecting add beacon. You will have to adjust the position and height of the object to get it exactly where you want it and integrate it with your tower model. It is the beacon used on top of the custom water tower in my Fantasy of flight scenery. I see you use IS so maybe it is available for easy placement there too.

falcon409
September 12th, 2016, 12:32
This is what this particular Beacon looks like. whatever object would go inside would have to be something that could be scaled. I don't believe anything I know to be available has that option. . .that's why I was hoping for the effect and not the fixture.

Dimus
September 12th, 2016, 12:55
Well, the standard beacon can not fit in there and to my knowledge it can not be scaled. Also the light beam is modeled in and is not an effect. Hope you find something suitable. It was once my intention to create something like this as I never liked the MS beacon, too solid. I just never got around to it.

rdaniell
September 12th, 2016, 13:28
This is what this particular Beacon looks like. whatever object would go inside would have to be something that could be scaled. I don't believe anything I know to be available has that option. . .that's why I was hoping for the effect and not the fixture.

Looks to me that about the only way that you might could get the default object to work would be to make a copy of it, rename it, and then try to do some "magic" with the texture to make it invisible. Only other solution appears to be maybe one of the talented effects gurus here at the Outhouse could make one from scratch.
I have had some success with modifying some light effects but, don't have a clue as how to make an effect from scratch. Wish I could be of more help. That would be a neat object to have in the catalogue of effects/objects. I truly hope that someone here can help you.

RD

rdaniell
September 13th, 2016, 06:53
Well, the standard beacon can not fit in there and to my knowledge it can not be scaled. Also the light beam is modeled in and is not an effect. Hope you find something suitable. It was once my intention to create something like this as I never liked the MS beacon, too solid. I just never got around to it.

I checked to see if this object can be scaled using ADEX. It can be scaled. I didn't compile and check so I don't know if the effect will also be scaled down.

There is also a stand alone beacon glow but when I installed it, it just sits still and does not rotate.

RD

GaryGB
September 13th, 2016, 08:54
Hi Ed:

As rdaniell mentioned above, there are "animated" Airport rotating beacon MDL objects which 'might' be scaled and used ...if one first:

1.) imports them into Arno's ModelConverterX (aka "MCX")

2.) exports them to a new MDL GUID and object name

3.) copies the attached Effect (*.Fx) files while also re-naming and re-scaling them

4.) replaces the original mapped Effects with the edited Effects via the same AttachPoints on the copied / re-named MDL object.

For example, if one imports the [FSX install path]\Global\scenery\airport_objects.bgl BGLComp-type scenery object library into Arno's ModelConverterX (aka "MCX"), and then advances that multi-object BGL to object #44/166, one can examine the Green and White light beacon "cones" and their attached Effects via the Attached Object Editor feature in MCX for the standard GA 'small airport'-type Rotating Beacon ...then export / re-name / edit the output MDL object.

NOTE: The attached Effects themselves will not be re-scaled when the BGLComp-type XML placed scenery library objects is scaled during placement, so they must be separately re-scaled by editing the Fx file code of the copied / re-named / re-attached replacement Effects mapped to the MDL file.

Once the MDL and its attached pair of replacement Effects has been customized as desired, it can be packaged inside a BGLComp-type XML scenery object library and placed as a standard 'scenery library object' via Instant Scenery / SBuilderX / ADE etc.

I have not tested this, but it may be as simple as re-scaling during scenery library object placement (of the exported / re-named Airport Rotating Beacon MDL having a NEW GUID), with subsequent re-scaling as needed (via edits to the Fx file code) of the copied / re-named Effects mapped onto the MDL via the AttachPoints. :icon_idea:

Hope this helps with exploring that option ! :mixed-smiley-010:

GaryGB

rdaniell
September 13th, 2016, 10:21
I copied your response to note pad and saved it to my desktop. That is good information to have available.

Thank you.

RD