PDA

View Full Version : Maltby FSX BAC 1-11 500 fuel tank management

aspen31
September 11th, 2016, 11:35
I've been very much enjoying the FSX Maltby BAC 1-11 500 so very nicely re-engineered tom FSX (and in my situation Prepar3d v3.3) by my SOH friend Bjoern.
So far I have not been able to find any information to fuel tank management in the 1-11. I usually take off with all pumps and cross feeds selected but unless I shut down some of the pumps I quickly run the centre tank down without any apparent fuel being transferred into it. It would be a correct assumption to conclude that I don't have any idea what I'm doing by (almost) randomly shutting off pumps in the hope that some balance will prevail - I'm wondering if anyone might know the recommended procedure for managing these valves / pumps and tanks for take off, climb and level flight?
Thanks
Warren (aspen31)

DaveB
September 11th, 2016, 14:22
Hiya Warren:wavey:

Much depends on how much fuel you need for your flight. If your flight requires 8200kg or less fuel.. load the amount equally into each wing tank. From 8200kg to 9200kg (required).. load 1000kg into the centre tank and the remainder equally into each wing tank. If the flight requires more than 9200kg.. load the wing tanks equally until full and the remainder into the centre tank. You don't really need the crossfeed on at all. An exception would be if you manage to develop a fuel imbalance/engine out. The engines on the 1-11 (normally) feed from their own tanks (left engine.. left tank/right engine.. right tank). Any fuel carried in the centre tank has to be passed into the wing tanks before it can be used.. the engines only take fuel from the wing tanks so.. you'll always burn the centre tank first.

RW.. for takeoff, all booster pumps on and crossfeed shut
During the climb.. transfer pumps ON/transfer cocks OPEN
Cruise.. one booster pump off in each wing (outbound-fwd off.. inbound-rear off)
Descent.. ALL booster pumps ON - Crossfeed SHUT.. Transfer pumps OFF/Transfer Cocks Closed.

Hope this makes sense:encouragement:
ATB
DaveB:)

Bjoern
September 11th, 2016, 14:27
I had an elaborate answer in the works, but Dave beat me to it and is spot on, so I'll save myself the text. The upgraded 1-11's fuel system works just as on the real thing. Center -> L or R wing tank -> L or R engine.

Also keep in mind that fuel in the wings adds a bit of stiffness which you might want to keep for as long as possible.

aspen31
September 12th, 2016, 01:56
Folks
Thanks for the helpful responses - now if I can just remember to apply them correctly all will be well or at least better.
Take care
Warren