PDA

View Full Version : Wiscasset Scenery Problem with FBO

falcon409
September 11th, 2016, 03:03
Let me begin this by saying. . .if you have a problem with any scenery of mine, don't post questions about it in the "Discussion Thread" in the downloads area. I supply my e-mail address in every readme for every scenery I produce. Also, a PM or a new thread in the FSX forum would get quicker results. I never read the discussion threads because I rarely if ever have anything posted there. This apparently was a rare instance where folks were discussing a problem and I had no knowledge of it.

Ok, on to the problem.

Due to a missing window on the FBO, which was correctly noted by a member, I fixed it the only way I know how. . . .start up ModelConverterX open the 3D file and go through the process of compiling the bgl, making sure that the problem window has it's correct night texture attached. Because the FBO was recompiled, MCX makes a new GUID number to attach to that scenery object. When that object file and the corresponding texture files are added back into their respective folder and the scenery is loaded into the Sim, Instant Scenery, in all its wisdom, no longer sees the FBO because that GUID number doesn't match the one in its placement bgl (KIWI_Objects.bgl). Wonderful!

So I have to load up the scenery, load Instant Scenery 3, load the KIWI Objects file, select the new FBO with the correct window fix and place it back in it's correct position on the tarmac and then close IS3 which then saves the new FBO information. . . . .and now the FBO is there with all it's windows. Still think you might want to be a scenery designer? lol

Finally, after about 100+ downloads of that scenery, all of them missing a window, I'll have to hit Rami up again to trash the last two uploads I sent him and replace those with a "Newer" upload. Sometimes some of us would just rather stay in bed, lol. I apologize for this screwup and the ensuing mess. . .it points up the reason I don't normally release any of my scenery. . .things happen in the process of building sceneries like this and when I'm the only one using it I rarely bother fixing them. Once it's released, people expect, and rightly so, that everything is as it should be and correcting something after it gets released is not an easy task because now there are a hundred folks with a problem instead of just one.

I'll get this corrected ASAP.

Seahawk72s
September 11th, 2016, 03:41
....I apologize for this screwup and the ensuing mess. . .it points up the reason I don't normally release any of my scenery. . .things happen in the process of building sceneries like this and when I'm the only one using it I rarely bother fixing them. Once it's released, people expect, and rightly so, that everything is as it should be and correcting something after it gets released is not an easy task because now there are a hundred folks with a problem instead of just one.

I'll get this corrected ASAP.

Coming new to your scenery, I appreciate the work and attention to detail you take giving these sceneries a life of their own.
I hope you won't be discouraged from future releases as what your doing is unique and I as one of a large audience am grateful for the gift.:applause:

speedy70
September 11th, 2016, 04:32
I second that most strongly.

Falcon your work is really appreciated.

Cheers Chris

AussieMan
September 11th, 2016, 04:59
Actually I wish you would release more of your work Ed. I like the type of airports you produce, the ones where you don't have to flirt with steep valley walls where you don't know what is just around the corner. I mostly like some open space as at my age (the same as you) my reflexes are getting slower.

binarkansas
September 11th, 2016, 05:59
Ed: love your sceneries, keep up the great work. I look forward to each one. I greatly enjoy visiting small GA airfields, especially grass ones. Thanks again. You're doing remarkable work.

Daveroo
September 11th, 2016, 07:07
i wish people wouldn't be nit pickers,just appreciate the gift you've been given and shut the he$$ up. its NOT payware,these airports are a gift to us all,just enjoy them the way they are given.

Ed thank you for what you do,as others have stated,they are fantastic airports,i just hope you don't become discouraged and stop sharing.

dexthom
September 11th, 2016, 09:52
Ed, From a really old MSgt, your sceneries are very much appreciated. Keep it going...

Roger
September 11th, 2016, 10:18
Love your work Ed:applause: Keep it up as long as you're happy.

Dimus
September 11th, 2016, 10:27
Just as a sidenote, I've run into this GUID/recompiling issue and learned the hard way. You can actually keep the GUID in a text file and reapply it in your mdl/bgl through MCX after you've done all the editing. This way all the libraries or placements where you use the object will refer to the updated object. You just need to replace one bgl file of the object in the scenery folder.

And I agree with all. Your scenery work gets better and better by each one released!

SpaceWeevil
September 11th, 2016, 11:25
The update to the update works like a charm - FBO is back with all windows present & correct. You have nothing to apologise for - this whole Maine series has been a complete delight and I can't wait to see where you might go next.

manfredc3
September 11th, 2016, 15:27
Ed,

I can only agree with what is being stated above.

Love your work!

expat
September 12th, 2016, 02:54
Ed,
This is your best work so far. Great looking objects and particularly the vegetation. Having a small issue with Orbx Global KIWI bgl objects bleeding through your buildings but will disable these and see if that cures it (expect it should).
Thanks again for this!
expat

scotth6
September 12th, 2016, 04:02
Hi Ed,

As others have said, no need to apologise. LMAO at the file name too; "Wiscasset Update to the Update.zip". At least you still have your SOH (sense of humour).

Any and all of your scenery designing efforts that you do decide to share are really appreciated; by many it seems.

Cheers,

sidler
September 12th, 2016, 04:42
Hi Ed,

I removed ORBX freeware KIWI and replaced it with yours!!!!:encouragement:

Dick

SpaceWeevil
September 12th, 2016, 09:48
Sort of OT, for which I apologise, but I suddenly realised that Bill Womack's old 2B2 Plum Island scenery goes really well with Ed's Maine airfields. It always sat uncomfortably alone - it was lovely to be at, there just wasn't anywhere much to go. Now there is! It's just about the oldest payware I have for FSX but still works perfectly in FSX SE and the current P3D v3.

davido53
September 12th, 2016, 09:48
Just loaded it up for a flight and it looks awesome...ORBX quality!

thank you

expat
September 12th, 2016, 13:25
Yes it is Orbx quality. Think I have a new favorite airport. Beacon and lighting look great.

https://s21.postimg.org/a3vlhf64n/KIWI.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/jof84avgj/)windows 7 print screen (https://postimage.org/app.php)

expat
September 12th, 2016, 13:30
Wonderfully atmospheric.

https://s17.postimg.org/8a7aa7tv3/KIWI.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/qd0d1fppn/)

gaab
September 12th, 2016, 14:14
Hi Ed,
Dick

I did the same - Thanks !

Gérard

AussieMan
September 12th, 2016, 15:18
Hi Ed,

Dick

Did the same here as well.

expat
September 13th, 2016, 01:33
Odd, I can't see two screen shots in two consecutive posts above. Can anyone see these (both of a PC-12 at KIWI)? May be the image hosting site but they were there in the SOH preview before I posted these last night.

expat
September 13th, 2016, 01:34
Odd, I can't see two screen shots in two consecutive posts above. Can anyone see these (both of a PC-12 at KIWI)? May be the image hosting site but they were there in the SOH preview before I posted these last night.

Ah, and now they have magically appeared! Never mind . .

GaryGB
September 14th, 2016, 05:06
Hi Ed:

Thanks for sharing your work with us again ! :encouragement:

BTW: You may wish to set MCX Menu > Options > Exporter settings > MDLWriter > PreserveGUIDOnExport = TRUE :engel016:.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/possible-bug-set-new-guid.424832/

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/stubborn-problem-with-guid.73269/

GaryGB