PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR for Dummies

falcon409
September 9th, 2016, 11:47
The "Dummy" would be me and I'm passing this along on the slim chance that someone else might actually be as slow as I am, lol.

I have noticed, over the past year or so that FSX and to a lesser extent P3D have had stutters that seemed more intense than usual. Also, they seemed to be getting worse, so much so that if I would turn my head there was a 3 to 4 sec pause before the view would change. I just attributed it to my system getting overworked beyond it's capabilities. Even after I purchased the new graphics card the problem seemed to persist.

A few days ago while testing Wiscasset scenery I was watching the fps counter to see how bad the stuttering was. Surprisingly I saw no change in the 20+ fps, even during the worst hesitations. It was only then that I even gave TrackIR a thought. I assumed I always kept the drivers current. . .and there hasn't been one in years so I was sure that wasn't the problem. Actually it was the problem. I was 3 updates removed from the most current and that was released in 2013, lol. I installed the new software and everything is just smooth as silk.

Just a heads up. . .those stutters you're experiencing (if you use TrackIR) might not be the sim, lol. . .JS!

ryanbatc
September 9th, 2016, 11:54
TIR definitely makes stutters more noticeable. I don't think TIR causes them, but the nature of the device reveals them more. A lot of people who report no stutters usually aren't using TIR. That's not always the case though, sometimes my sim is smooth too.

ark1320
September 9th, 2016, 12:40
I was 3 updates removed from the most current and that was released in 2013, lol.

If it is TrackIR5 that you have, the last update was in April '16, ver 5.4.2.

Al

Naismith
September 10th, 2016, 00:45
TIR was great I have been using it for about 12 years, but last year my attention was drawn to TrackHat. http://www.trackhat.org/

I find it superior to TIR, also cheaper, sturdier, less prone to background lights interfering and best of all the latest version is wireless so no wires to trip over. I went over to it when the flimsy Receiver's stand snapped. It came from the UK in about 10 days and was well packaged.

There are good YT vids by Froogle and Mr Cobolman to seek out.

thefrog
September 10th, 2016, 02:01
Even cheaper than Trackhat, make your own. I did and it works perfectly with Facetracknoir (PointTracker setting).

bk2000
September 10th, 2016, 05:44
THANKS for the HEADS UP . . . I was behind on those updates, too. How time flies, a?

and....it's GOOD that I subscribed to get all new posts on this site !

Penzoil3
September 10th, 2016, 15:25
I installed the new version. Now I have to run TrackIR in compatability mode for XP service pack3, or it crashes. So much for improvement.
Sue

miragecy
October 3rd, 2016, 02:52
Im using TIR5 with the hat with reflectors although I have the pro clip as well and Im happy with it except when bright sun light escapes from behind me. Today I received the trackhat plus but its not as precise as my reflector hat.... It works in both TIR modes (reflector and led mode, better with reflector mode surprisingly), which mode should I have and any settings you are aware of?

Thanks,
Andy

falcon409
October 3rd, 2016, 04:26
Im using TIR5 with the hat with reflectors although I have the pro clip as well and Im happy with it except when bright sun light escapes from behind me. Today I received the trackhat plus but its not as precise as my reflector hat.... It works in both TIR modes (reflector and led mode, better with reflector mode surprisingly), which mode should I have and any settings you are aware of?

Thanks,
Andy
I can only speak to the Pro-Clip. I had the reflectors and it was highly prone to go haywire from any reflection anywhere in the room. I have my setup in my bedroom, one window with a blackout curtain, so it stays dark. For the Pro-Clip, it was suggested that I use a special profile "Seth-Flight" which can be downloaded from the TrackIR Forum. Only problem is, since I updated to the most recent version it no longer shows up in the profile selection window so I've just been fiddling with the sliders to come up with something usable.

miragecy
October 3rd, 2016, 04:53
I can only speak to the Pro-Clip. I had the reflectors and it was highly prone to go haywire from any reflection anywhere in the room. I have my setup in my bedroom, one window with a blackout curtain, so it stays dark. For the Pro-Clip, it was suggested that I use a special profile "Seth-Flight" which can be downloaded from the TrackIR Forum. Only problem is, since I updated to the most recent version it no longer shows up in the profile selection window so I've just been fiddling with the sliders to come up with something usable.

Here it is Seth - Flight.xml (https://forums.naturalpoint.com/download/file.php?id=61)

Andy

falcon409
October 3rd, 2016, 06:26
Yep, that's the one I downloaded a week or so ago, it doesn't show up in the profiles drop down though. I only get "default, one-to-one and smooth". I've looked at the xml files side by side and aside from the name of the profile, I don't see anything different. . .yet for some reason TrackIR doesn't recognize it as a viable profile option.

big-mike
October 3rd, 2016, 08:06
Have you unticked "exclusive" before adding Seth`s profile,Ed?
It is really a very nice profile.
Mike

miragecy
October 3rd, 2016, 08:35
Falcon409 is right. I remember downloading other profiles, after the last update, to test them and they are not showing. This one though (seth-flight) which I currently use shows up fine

Andy

miragecy
October 3rd, 2016, 08:46
Have you unticked "exclusive" before adding Seth`s profile,Ed?
It is really a very nice profile.
Mike

You have to untick it anyway Mike otherwise the option is greyed out. The problem is that the profile doesnt show up in the selection row of profiles even though its in the correct folder.

Andy

falcon409
October 5th, 2016, 04:19
You have to untick it anyway Mike otherwise the option is greyed out. The problem is that the profile doesnt show up in the selection row of profiles even though its in the correct folder.
Andy
Yep, what Andy said Big-Mike. The profile is in the "profile" folder however it doesn't show up at all once you load TrackIR. I've compared the default XML file to the one for Seth - Flight and see little difference aside from the parameters, but there must be something that this most recent update doesn't see or like....as it worked prior to the update.

big-mike
October 5th, 2016, 06:17
Perhaps the driver?
The latest is 5.4.2,i think.
I´m still using 5.2.2 because the newer drivers caused problems.
Only an idea.
Mike

falcon409
October 5th, 2016, 06:29
Yea, I sent a PM to Seth on the Forums there but for the time being I think I'll roll-back to an early version as well.

nio
October 5th, 2016, 10:43
Falcon

you may want to try "run as adminstrator" when starting TrackIR. Apologies if you have already done so.

It fixed a few problems for me when i moved to the latest drivers (not the problem you describe, )

best

nio

falcon409
October 6th, 2016, 05:14
Found this little tidbit in the TrackIR5 Forums:

The profiles are no longer stored in NaturalPoint/TrackIR5/Profiles, they can now be found in the directory "%AppData%\NaturalPoint\TrackIR 5\Profiles"

falcon409
October 6th, 2016, 05:20
That fixed the problem. That post was dated January of this year, so apparently it's been that way for some time. I'm sure it was mentioned in a readme at some point a year ago....but who reads the readme?

miragecy
October 6th, 2016, 08:09
Found this little tidbit in the TrackIR5 Forums:

The profiles are no longer stored in NaturalPoint/TrackIR5/Profiles, they can now be found in the directory "%AppData%\NaturalPoint\TrackIR 5\Profiles"

Nice one falcon409. Thanks!

Andy