PDA

View Full Version : California 1000 at Mojave

P-12C
February 6th, 2009, 15:05
I thought some of you might find ablog post (http://paul-flightsimguy.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!D282374D24B565FB!1272.entry)I made interesting racing the A2A 377 against the FSX Acceleration Mustang.

It was a little experiment we did before the studio blew up.

orionll
February 6th, 2009, 15:14
Just a coincidence of time or was it going to be in like another mission pack from you guys (ACES) or something?

P-12C
February 6th, 2009, 15:59
It was an experiment to recreate the same type of race and see what would happen, and to have a little fun with it. We didn't expect to release it and most people aren't willing to fly 41 laps anyway as it's quite tiring to do.

The pit stops are a lot of fun though.

orionll
February 6th, 2009, 16:02
Sounds like you had fun :).

Would you release it if people wanted it :P?

orionll
February 6th, 2009, 16:04
Sounds like you had fun :).

Would you release it if people wanted it :P?
Not to double post or anything, but why does my post say this:

Last edited by Starrynites; February 13th, 2006 at 06:31..

It showed that right after I posted it, as the forum was taking me back to see my message. How was it edited in the past?

Moses03
February 6th, 2009, 16:07
Very cool! I have been researching the California 1000 for some time. Wonder how the 377 would have really fared? :)

A year later Super Snoopy was pitted against a top fuel dragster-

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=8182

Moses

Lionheart
February 6th, 2009, 16:37
Me and alot of people had a blast with the Bugatti gamepack (back when it came out), racing each other on the little French circuit. We did either 3 or 5 laps. One gentleman had his own plane, the Bill Lyons Kellet autogyro fitted with a P-51 airfile, lol.... Wierd to be in an air racer with a Kellet at your wingtip, racing you to the turning pylon.

I dont think we would have made it through 40 or 50 laps. But 3 to 5 left us with so much addrennaline that we used to run about 4 or 5 races a night. Even Gnoopey was in on some.

One of the things we had to do for large groups was learn to start at the same time.. In flight didnt work, so we started on the ground, along a line, wingtip to wingtip. Then, after the 2nd or 4th lap, it got vicious. People tried everything to get to the pylon first. One 'chappie' from New Zealand figured out that slowing into the turns and then speeding out of them was the best route (at least for him) and he began taking the races, one by one.

Great fun.

Sure would be cool to have AI that raced against you. Set it for 3 or 5 or 10 or 40 or 50 laps. Would be intense. Also, gathering damage on planes, such as ailerons falling off, ribbon debris from scuffed fabric, etc.

Alot of potential.

Bill

EgoR64
February 6th, 2009, 18:22
:wavey:

Hi Paul,

Looks like super fun, I personally enjoy the longer missions, nothing like a cooler and a long mission.

I'm in for racing the big dog !! :friday:

I had similar preminition right before Turkey day in 08 -> :ernae:

ryanbatc
February 6th, 2009, 19:00
It was a little experiment we did before the studio blew up.

that does suck....it's a shame really...

Anyway, interesting race!

empeck
February 7th, 2009, 00:35
Nice race Paul :D

I'd like to see Schneider Trophy in FSX one day...

dswo
February 7th, 2009, 03:38
Thanks for keeping the flame alight, Paul. I'm sorry for you and your family -- these are bad times to be looking for work.

P-12C
February 9th, 2009, 15:12
:wavey:

I had similar preminition right before Turkey day in 08 -> :ernae:

Very cool shots. Although Brandon was passing me like I was standing still, I took great delight in passing him while he was in the pits. With relatively realistic pit times (which can be a bit boring for the person in the pits), he would have had to put up with several laps of passing while he was sitting there. Then he would come booming back with high-speed passing.

One thing that was especially cool about being passed by the Mustang is that it was very much like he was making an attack pass from behind and then be gone in a couple of seconds...