PDA

View Full Version : FSD Cessna O-2 Skymaster Issues

Willy
September 4th, 2016, 06:52
I reinstalled the FSD C337 set this morning. I've had the 337s installed for a while but decided to give them some "update" attention like I've been doing with other older aircraft and figured to go with fresh FSX version installs and install the O-2 while I was at it. Both 337 versions work great with the exception of the load manager and I can live without that (always had problems with it even with FS9). The O-2 is not wanting to play nice however. Like the 337s, the load manager is kaput, but when I go to load the O-2 into the sim, I get a crash to desktop. I've fiddled around trying different combinations of "pieces" including trying the model, panel and textures in the 337D folder. Still no go. At this point, I'm starting to think gauges and I really hate to have to go through the panel.cfg one gauge at time.

Is there a fix for this one? According to FSD, it's for FSX but I'm starting to wonder. I've got the CD install version and am running FSX SE with Win 10.

Just wanted to add, that even with it's age, I'm seeing some potential in the ol' "CDM" for improvements that I can do to it.

Willy
September 4th, 2016, 10:46
Got it narrowed down to a gauge issue for some gauge that it doesn't share with the 337s. I've got a feeling I'll have to just regauge the thing.

Willy
September 5th, 2016, 07:32
Took a step back and punted by installing the panel & gauges out of the FS9 version from a backup file. It will load, but it's got issues. But it's nothing that I don't think I can't fix, eventually. It's about ticked me off so I'm not about to give up on it.

airtj
September 5th, 2016, 07:35
I know that they made an installer for FSX, you should try contacting them and see if they will allow you to download the installer.

Willy
September 5th, 2016, 08:59
I've got the CD version with installers for all 3 in either FS9 or FSX. (The 337H is a long time FS favorite of mine when flying GA) The two 337s (D & H models) work fine in FSX, just need some TLC in the looks department due to their age.

However, the FSX O-2 is a disaster from the word go. Looking at the files, it looks like there was a unfinished attempt at a full FSX conversion and it was just swept out the door to get rid of it as is. Which after two days of mucking about with it, I can fully understand someone wanting to just get it off their desktop. Full .dds textures with bump maps but a non-FSX model (I can't see as the bump maps do anything for it and there's no separate vc model). .dll gauges as with the 337s, but the O-2 ones won't let it load in FSX. I did get it loaded using the 337D panel.cfg, but that still required a lot of jacking around with VC textures to make it look right. I thought about regauging it using FS Panel Studio and started the process, but decided there had to be a better way.

Right now my plan is to just use the FS9 version including it's gauges as a portover with the textures converted to .dds and the same glass and prop textures the 337s use. And I'll do my little "improvements" from there with all 3 aircraft.

It's a shame that the developer let the O-2 out with such a half-hearted attempt for FSX compatibility. But the 337s are still quite good for the price, if you don't care about the O-2.

Willy
September 6th, 2016, 11:32
One functional FSD O-2A in FSX. Still a few small issues, but it's quite flyable right now. Think I need to paint one with "Master of Disaster" on the nose.