PDA

View Full Version : New computer for Prepar3d

aspen31
August 31st, 2016, 14:49
I confess that I know a little about airplanes but much less about computers. A year or so ago I purchased a machine that exceeded all Prepar3d requirements but has proven to be sadly inadequate in effectively running the simulation (Intel 4460; Intel graphics). In the near future I hope to upgrade to something in the Intel 6000 range with some level of Nvidia graphics card. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about what combination might be a good purchase.
Thanks in advance
Warren

jmig
August 31st, 2016, 16:14
Warren, I have built every flight sim computer I have owned, and that has to be a dozen or so. If you have the tiniest bit of computer building savvy, I recommend you look into building one. If you don't there are people here who can help you. I remember Ted (TXNETCOP) use to build them for people. If he doesn't there are others who can advise you or build one for you. You will get more for your money.

Still the biggest factor in flight sim computer is the processor speed. Most people pushing high numbers and lots of eye-candy are in the 4 GHz range or better. I run a
i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3 GHz LGA 2011-v3 running at 4.1 GHz with a water cooler and two GTX 970 video cards. The only reason I run two video cards is because I am pushing a 1040p projector and five LCD monitors in a home build cockpit. I need the outputs.

I have my frames set on 30 fps and normally I am there or the mid-20s. I might also add that I am running a lot of Orbx scenery and several add-on programs for the cockpit and its gauges. My scenery sliders are mostly far to the right with the exception of water which is average. All of this off of one computer. In the past I used two.

If you are running more of an average setup, you may not need at much horsepower. Still, I would get as fast a computer has I can afford. In the flight sim computer, speed is still king.

Good luck, if I can help you, let me know.

Daveroo
August 31st, 2016, 20:05
can i ask how you run two computers together to operate flight simulators?...im a computer idiot...and thats really interresting to me.id like to learn.

jonny
September 1st, 2016, 00:03
can i ask how you run two computers together to operate flight simulators?...im a computer idiot...and thats really interresting to me.id like to learn.

Two computers,
Two flightsimulators
and Wideview at http://www.wideview.it/wideview.htm
is one solution!

jmig
September 1st, 2016, 05:24

I use one for the flight simulator, FS9, FSX, or PD3. It runs only flight simulator, FSUIPC, and outside views. The second computer runs the programs to operate the gauges, cockpit monitors, and some electronics/ input-output controls in the cockpit. The two computers are connected via a network cable and networked together. In this way, they talk to each other.

Peter Dowson of FSUIPC fame has a program called WideFS that allows you to run programs on a second computer and connect to FSX or PD3 on the main computer. The Wideview program Jonny linked to will allow you to use multiple computers to run multiple monitor or projectors.

Lastly, if you have many monitors or projectors each running a different view, you can purchase multiple copies of PD3 and your scenery/weather addons and via network. PD3 has made this a lot easier than FSX, especially if you fork up big bucks for the "Pro" edition. I have never gotten that complex, however.

sixstrings5859
September 3rd, 2016, 04:22
A good source for building your own gaming rig is this : http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/ I have used the site with great success . A truly great site.Hope this helps.