PDA

View Full Version : missing Scenery/Cities files in FSX

SSI01
August 16th, 2016, 17:45
Due to sudden CTD of my FSX installation that seemed to occur right after I installed an additional 8GB of RAM, I uninstalled the sim after it nearly drove me crazy rejecting every fix I could think of, and that my help could think of. Now my default, right-off-the-disk reinstallation of FSX is missing several cities in the "Scenery/Cities" file. They are areas 115 through 120 in the scenery.cfg. I didn't delete them, what could have caused them to fail to install? I've tried deleting scenery.cfg from the root FSX file and restarting the sim, no fix from that. Do I need to explore the FSX disk and lift the city files out of that and install them in the "Scenery/Cities" file? Please note this is not the "Addon Scenery" folder. I have not installed the Acceleration files from that disk yet, do I need to do that first? I am running Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium edition, I understand there have been many problems with this OS and FSX.

Lane Street
August 16th, 2016, 18:45
... I have not installed the Acceleration files from that disk yet, do I need to do that first?
Those entries are added when you install Acceleration.

The working scenery.cfg does not get removed when you uninstall FSX, unless you remove it yourself.

So when you reinstalled FSX sans Acceleration, FSX was still expecting those additional scenery areas to be there.

cheers,
Lane

SSI01
August 16th, 2016, 23:41
OK, Lane - so I have to now reinstall FSX Acceleration?

ncooper
August 17th, 2016, 00:23
If you want the cities back.....

SSI01
August 17th, 2016, 01:16
OK, here goes . . . .

Lane Street
August 17th, 2016, 06:27
OK, Lane - so I have to now reinstall FSX Acceleration?
...or delete the entries in the Scenery Library.

...or put up with the error message every time you start FSX. :wavey:

cheers,
Lane

SSI01
August 17th, 2016, 09:03
Ran the Acceleration disk and everything's working OK now. No more messages on startup. Previous installation attempt was really bizarre because the Acceleration disk refused to load, said I had to choose a language for installation (????) Never saw that before in ANY FS installation, FS9 or FSX. This machine is hoodooed. At any rate, thanks for the help.