PDA

View Full Version : FSX and MH370

jschall
August 16th, 2016, 13:08
I am wondering what data is saved on FSX following a simulated flight. I have been following the mystery of flight MH370. Shortly after the lost flight, news stories surfaced that the pilot, Zaharie Ahmad Shah, was an active user of a PC flight simulator, and that the Royal Malaysian Police (and the FBI) had examined several hard/soft disks from his PC, but had found nothing incriminating relating to the flight.

But two years later, the story has resurfaced:

http://jeffwise.net/2016/07/22/new-york-mh370-pilot-flew-a-suicide-route-on-his-home-simulator-closely-matching-final-flight/

There is very little detail as to exactly what data was found on the disks. It is not even clear whether the sim was FSX, X-Plane or something else.

But I am wondering - what record is kept in FSX or Windows of what routes we fly?

I know there are .PLN files that record departure and arrival airports, waypoints and altitudes. There are .FLT files that record the aircraft type, departure airport, time and weather. There is the logbook.BIN file, that records the .FLT and .PLN files loaded with the time and date.

But the reported data from Shah's sim purportedly includes positions, headings and fuel quantities.

Are there other files saved when we use our FSX program? What could the police find out from our PCs if you or I are suspected of planning a nefarious act using our FSX?