PDA

View Full Version : US and IJN ships

Jerm
October 7th, 2008, 19:14
Does anybody know a good website or book that lists the ships that were invovled during the major battles of WW2 (midway, coral sea, guadalcanal, etc).

thanks

Jagdflieger
October 7th, 2008, 19:34
Jerm,

A good web site shouldn't be hard to find. Just Google for US Navy or IJN warships of WW II.

I checked my library and found the following good books:

"Cruiser" by Antony Preston
"Warships of the World" by Antony Preston
"Navies of WWII" by Antony Preston
"The Encyclopedia of the World's Warships" by Hugh Lyon

The books have been read and reread and I can heartilly recommend them. As they've been in my library for more than a couple of decades though, they are probably out of print. You might find them at: Amazon.com

Talon
October 7th, 2008, 19:41
I have several books on this subject.

The Big E-The story of the Enterprise which fought in every major battle in the Pacific except Coral Sea because she and Hornet were returning from the Doolittle Raid.

Midway-Which I got about 40 years ago but is very good reading.

Aircraft Carriers is another book I use.It tells the story of each Carrier from all nations.

There is a website that lists all the Japanese TF and ships during battles where they were sunk and what ships they attacked.There also one for the USN which does the same thing.I can't find them at the moment though.

If you lookup Japanese ships during WW2 you should come up with links that give ship names and battles they were in.Same with US ships.

When I did my missions and campaigns I was always able to find the ships that participated from both sides but it takes some time.You can also do a search for Coral Sea,Midway,Eastern Solomons,Santa Cruz and etc and you should find what you are looking for.Like I said it takes time and that's why sometimes it takes a while to do Campaigns.

Talon

Hern07
October 7th, 2008, 19:52
If you can find them, the Semi-Official history of the U.S. in WWII by Samuel Elliot Morrison gives the order -of-battle for every major naval battle of the war.
Try your local library. I disagree with a lot he said about Admiral Fletcher, but he is a great writer and story teller.

Good_2_Be
October 7th, 2008, 20:01
Not sure if this will help but Wikipedia has articles

Be sure to type in "Battle of" Midway or Guadalcanal......

Hern07
October 7th, 2008, 20:26
me again. I searched Order of Battle Battle of Midway. And Good 2 Be the first entry was Wickipedia, not only did it give the order of battle, but just about every ship was linked. I still think that anybody that has an interest in the USN in WWII should read Morrison. Try searching Order of Battle and filling in the battle you are looking for.

Good_2_Be
October 7th, 2008, 20:41
Going to have to add Morrison to my reading list thanks Hern. Although I'll admit I get pulled into reading allot of ship histories over at the Naval Historical Center http://www.history.navy.mil/index.html

Good_2_Be
October 7th, 2008, 20:48
Dictionary of American fighting ships is under the Research and Collections then Ships

Blue Devil
October 7th, 2008, 20:52
Hey Jerm, ...

Naval War in Pacific 1941-45

http://pacific.valka.cz/index.htm

This is the "Honey-hole" of ship and A/C operations data for the PTO.

Ships, Class, TF's, Operations, Personel, Air units, ...etc, ...has it all.

The PTO Mission bible.

Note: Translated, ...so beware the spelling...

Enjoy.

EDIT: The "IJNAF aircraft designation and marking" section may be of interest to the "Skinners" 'round here.

olaf1924
October 7th, 2008, 20:57
Jerm I am enjoying your missions looking foward to more of your up-coming missions.:wavey:

TARPSBird
October 7th, 2008, 21:16
"Miracle At Midway" by Gordon W. Prange is a good narrative of the Midway battle and very helpful for info on who did what to whom and when. I believe he lists all the players on both sides in the appendix section.

gavinc
October 7th, 2008, 22:10
This is a good site for info on the Imperial Japanese Navy, not specifically what you are looking for but lots of good info.
http://www.combinedfleet.com/kaigun.htm

Gavin

Jerm
October 8th, 2008, 06:10
hey:wavey:

first off thanks for all the replys.

I think I should have clarified this more in my first post. while i know all the major ships envolved (carriers, battleships) they don't really mention anything on the supporting ships. The US side, like you guys said, i a lot earier to find information on. the japanese on the other hand, you have to dig a little deeper.

i found this book at my school library tpday called destroyer operations and it really breaks down the ships involved on the U.S. side. still looking for some good ijn info though.

thanks

jeremy

Jerm
October 8th, 2008, 06:14
Hey Jerm, ...

Naval War in Pacific 1941-45

http://pacific.valka.cz/index.htm

This is the "Honey-hole" of ship and A/C operations data for the PTO.

Ships, Class, TF's, Operations, Personel, Air units, ...etc, ...has it all.

The PTO Mission bible.

Note: Translated, ...so beware the spelling...

Enjoy.

EDIT: The "IJNAF aircraft designation and marking" section may be of interest to the "Skinners" 'round here.

woah think i found all i need in this site!

thanks bd

a little off topic here but do we have a new orleans class cruiser for cfs2

Blue Devil
October 8th, 2008, 07:51
Hey Jerm, ...

De nada, Komrad (just practicin' up 'case the elections go south, ...say, ...all the way to Venezuela...)

Great site.

Don't know why it's so hard to "Google" it.

Enjoy.

klarm
October 8th, 2008, 12:56
Try this site,

http://www.navweaps.com/index_oob/index_oob.htm

Lists all major WWI & WWII naval battles, main & support ships involved, aircraft squadrons, types & numbers used, commanding officers