PDA

View Full Version : MiG-21MF Upgrade Phase II ready!

ceo1944
August 13th, 2016, 08:57
Hi fellow simmers,

I see from changing the dates on the README that it's been almost four months since the last post about the MiG-21. Today brings a major update.

This is phase II of the systems and weapons upgrade for Ivan Jurcaga's MiG-21MF model. Ivan and I have been in touch and he has graciously provided me with his model source files and his blessing for continuing this project. Access to the source has helped quite a bit. Thanks, Ivan!

This release is a beta, and it provides the following major new things:

- Full Tacpack implementation - air and ground weapons, plus countermeasures, all realistic to the MiG-21MF.
- Improved Captain Sim weapons implementation over the last version.
- Configuration of weapons and fuel greatly improved, fuel automatically loaded when tanks are placed. Removed when they are jettisoned.
- Many bugs fixed and improved sounds and systems details. Too many to list.
- A full new Quick Start Guide, easy to read with many illustrations, tells you all you need to know to fly and fight effectively with the MiG-21!

If you've been holding back from trying this because of the learning curve, the new Guide will make it easy and fun.

With Tacpack implemented, you can battle multiplayer against the mighty Milviz Phantom II or the F-100D in a historically accurate way!

Here's a link to the download: http://fscaptain.net/downloads/MIG21MFN_Beta_160812.zip

If you want more reason to try it out, here's a movie of a demonstration flight with a typical drone intercept and shootdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qur8eFFKdrk

Thanks for trying and testing this package. I will be working on it as time allows, but for the next couple of months commercial work will be intense. Please report any problems and I'll do my best to fix them. Eventually, it's on to Phase III, and I intend to make some model changes to more realistically implement the weapons controls. As time allows.

Dutch

huub vink
August 13th, 2016, 09:23
Thanks for the update Dutch :encouragement:

Cheers,
Huub

ceo1944
August 13th, 2016, 11:49
I just did a mission with the MiG-21 using FSX@WAR, which is awesome when coupled with Tacpack.

I was flying for the rebels against Libya, striking the Algharby terrorist base. Given the limited range of the 21 it took two stages: a pre-dawn hop from Benghazi across the gulf to the Ras Lanuf oil airport for refueling. Then with all drop tanks full and a load of rockets, swung way south over the open desert to avoid Libyan SAM sites near Sirte. Hit the camp right at dawn, making two rocket passes and one strafing, leaving lots of burning tents and vehicles behind. Bad day for the bad guys! Flew back the same route, refueling again at the same place, then landing back home.

I'm going to do this again but make a video. Very interesting mission, all told about 2 1/2 hours of real time spent. Fuel management and timing were crucial.

I'm really loving FSX@war...lots of potential there.

Dutch

Sundog
August 13th, 2016, 14:30
Thanks Dutch! :)

YoYo
August 13th, 2016, 21:51
Thx Dutch! Does it work in P3Dv3 also? Did You test it?

Peg o my heart
August 13th, 2016, 22:11
I just did a mission with the MiG-21 using FSX@WAR, which is awesome when coupled with Tacpack.

I was flying for the rebels against Libya, striking the Algharby terrorist base.
Dutch

But how do you position those who are terrorists or those who are not? The rebels were backed by The US and their allies in an attempt to diminish terrorist Ghadafi, and now the rebels are labeled as terrorists as they are opposite the status quo. Perhaps, one man's terrorist is an anothet man's freedom fighter. Perhaps, the term terrorist itself is not suitable for Eastern worldview. Perhaps, merriem webster and oxford will revise after trump's social darwinism win the election.

Terrorism is relative to worldview, ideology, and failure to understand the other civilization's defensive mechanism from western unctical intolerance towards the East.

I dunno man. This is the first time I see the word terrorist in SOH.

Btw, thanks for the MiG.

Peg o my heart
August 13th, 2016, 22:24
Im truly sorry. Its so hard to find places in the net with no such tendency and all the craziness out there. Please ban me if that does good for everyone. Sorry Dutch. Sorry peeps.

Penzoil3
August 13th, 2016, 23:26
"unctical" is that supposed to be a word?
Sue

xpelekis
August 14th, 2016, 04:03
http://img.pandawhale.com/96617-taxi-driver-clapping-gif-Rober-MD3l.gif for the MiG...

DaveWG
August 14th, 2016, 06:04
Thanks for this, but I have a couple of issues.
I can't get the radar to power up, or any weapons to fire except the gun. Followed the quick start guide & the YouTube video. Pretty sure I'm doing everything correctly, but no go.
The weapon switches are set correctly, and weapons loaded using the in-cockpit controls. No status lights are showing on the center panel.
Using P3d v3.3.5 with TacPack.

Additional: Fuel is not removed when removing external tanks. No station weights added when loading weapons.

ceo1944
August 14th, 2016, 08:42
Thx Dutch! Does it work in P3Dv3 also? Did You test it?

Yes, I have P3D3 and it's been tested in that environment. SHould work fine, but let me know if there are any problems.

Dutch

ceo1944
August 14th, 2016, 09:01
Thanks for this, but I have a couple of issues.
I can't get the radar to power up, or any weapons to fire except the gun. Followed the quick start guide & the YouTube video. Pretty sure I'm doing everything correctly, but no go.
The weapon switches are set correctly, and weapons loaded using the in-cockpit controls. No status lights are showing on the center panel.
Using P3d v3.3.5 with TacPack.

Additional: Fuel is not removed when removing external tanks. No station weights added when loading weapons.

What's happening here is that the Radar gauge is not loading or not executing. It not only powers the radar but provides some services like fuel loading and payload setting to let Tacpack know what's loaded on what platform.

98% of the time that's some kind of security issue with Windows blocking the loading of the DLL.

Here's how to find out. Locate the gauge, it's in SimObjects\Airplanes\MiG-21MFN\panel\RP22SM.gau

Right click on it, select "Properties" from the popup menu, select the "Security" tab, then click the "Advanced" button, and post what it shows.

You can also change the permissions yourself to allow it to run if you are running as an Administrator. Click on "Change Permissions". if you see a line in the list that says "Allow Everyone" select that line and click on "Edit", if you don't see that, click on "Add". Then click the check on under "Allow" on the Full Control line and click Ok. Odds are that the MiG-21 will work properly if you do this.

If you are running P3D3 as Administrator security should not be an issue.

Hope this helps.
Dutch

ceo1944
August 14th, 2016, 09:12
But how do you position those who are terrorists or those who are not? The rebels were backed by The US and their allies in an attempt to diminish terrorist Ghadafi, and now the rebels are labeled as terrorists as they are opposite the status quo. Perhaps, one man's terrorist is an anothet man's freedom fighter. Perhaps, the term terrorist itself is not suitable for Eastern worldview. Perhaps, merriem webster and oxford will revise after trump's social darwinism win the election.

Terrorism is relative to worldview, ideology, and failure to understand the other civilization's defensive mechanism from western unctical intolerance towards the East.

I dunno man. This is the first time I see the word terrorist in SOH.

Btw, thanks for the MiG.

I apologize if I inadvertently offended anyone. I used that term because that's the label that the game placed on my target. Not a political judgement at all.

Any time we choose to play a simulation of a conflict I think it's important to remember it's not reality, just a simulation. For entertainment and learning purposes.

Dutch

DaveWG
August 14th, 2016, 10:11
Hi Dutch,

still no joy, I'm afraid. I always run P3d as admin anyway, I'm also logged in as an admin. Tried with AntiVirus turned off, although it's set not to scan the P3d folders anyway. Checked permissions for the gauge as shown:

http://daveg.cbfsim.org/screens/gaugepermissions.jpg

Tried disabling every thing in the dll.xml just in case there was a conflict, but no luck.

Wondering if could be a Windows 10 problem?

menef
August 14th, 2016, 10:39
Someone knows if there are some paints suitable for this jet?

Bjoern
August 14th, 2016, 10:46
Yes, there are. Even here in the library.

ce_zeta
August 14th, 2016, 11:51
Thank you very much Dutch.

menef
August 14th, 2016, 12:25
Yes, there are. Even here in the library.

Thank you. l'll check :very_drunk:

ceo1944
August 14th, 2016, 13:00
It doesn't sound like a security problem, if you are running P3D as Administrator that should make all those problems go away. And you're running outside the dreaded Program Files folder too which is good.

I have one more thing to try. This was compiled with VS2013. Try installing the Visual Studio 2013 runtimes and see if that works. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

I will download and copy the result into my P3D and see if it works. Maybe something is screwy in the file. Otherwise, I'm baffled as to why it isn't working. I have Win 7 BTW, never installed 10.

Dutch

Hi Dutch,

still no joy, I'm afraid. I always run P3d as admin anyway, I'm also logged in as an admin. Tried with AntiVirus turned off, although it's set not to scan the P3d folders anyway. Checked permissions for the gauge as shown:

http://daveg.cbfsim.org/screens/gaugepermissions.jpg

Tried disabling every thing in the dll.xml just in case there was a conflict, but no luck.

Wondering if could be a Windows 10 problem?

DaveWG
August 15th, 2016, 10:44
Hi Dutch,

tried the VS2013 runtimes. They were installed already, but I did a repair anyway. Still no good I'm afraid. I may have to put FSX back on & see if it works there.

ceo1944
August 15th, 2016, 13:53
Hi Dutch,

tried the VS2013 runtimes. They were installed already, but I did a repair anyway. Still no good I'm afraid. I may have to put FSX back on & see if it works there.

Dave, or anyone having this problem, I have an updated Beta available that may solve the problem: http://fscaptain.net/downloads/MIG21MFN_Beta_160815.zip

Delete the whole MiG-21MFN folder and replace it with the new one. There are a few other fixes and changes rolled into there too.

Also, very interested to see if it works on FSX for you.

I have P3D v3.3.5.17625 and just tested this new beta and it works. So did the old one...but this radar is compiled under VS2008.

Dutch

awstub
August 15th, 2016, 18:12
I haven't been able to find any yet, but does anyone know if there are any VPAF textures available for this version?

The only VPAF Mig-21 texture I've been able to find so far is one that was done by Xavier Carré for Ivan Jurcaga's Mig-21 F-13 ( http://vietnamwar.project.free.fr/files/MIG_21_repaint.zip ). It's for FS2004......and it seems to work OK in FSX, but unfortunately, it's not Tacpacked.

xpelekis
August 16th, 2016, 01:31
Dave, or anyone having this problem, I have an updated Beta available that may solve the problem: http://fscaptain.net/downloads/MIG21MFN_Beta_160815.zip

With this one, weapons work fine !

But : unless I'm doing something wrong,like engaging autopilot or something, ailerons don't work properly now... (FSX).

BTW : Maybe you could consider two versions :
- One for Vietnam Era with AIM-9Bs (flares +-)
- and one for Libya theater (vs Tomcats or F-18s), that's the current one.

MDIvey
August 16th, 2016, 09:12
Thanks Dutch. This is great. Flies beautifully... more forgiving than I thought it would be. By way of feedback a quick start option would be great for those times you don't have time to work through the start up procedure (thank you for documenting that so well BTW) and in my FSX SE setup with Steve's DX10 fixer, I don't find canopy glass shows up very much... will experiment with some texture changes when I get a chance.

Matt

ceo1944
August 16th, 2016, 11:54
Great news that it works!

The aileron problem...be sure you switched on the aileron power boost switch after startup.

It would be more authentic to equip the aim-9b to emulate the R-3S atoll for Vietnam. No more complex than changing the M to a B in tacpack.ini .

With this one, weapons work fine !

But : unless I'm doing something wrong,like engaging autopilot or something, ailerons don't work properly now... (FSX).

BTW : Maybe you could consider two versions :
- One for Vietnam Era with AIM-9Bs (flares +-)
- and one for Libya theater (vs Tomcats or F-18s), that's the current one.

DaveWG
August 16th, 2016, 22:13
Still no joy for me.:banghead: I'm going to re-load FSX, but that will probably have to wait until the weekend.
Been around the FS series for a long time now, & never had a problem like this before.:dizzy:

ceo1944
August 16th, 2016, 22:45
Still no joy for me.:banghead: I'm going to re-load FSX, but that will probably have to wait until the weekend.
Been around the FS series for a long time now, & never had a problem like this before.:dizzy:

You did try the new version right? I'm about out of ideas. I wish there was a log somewhere we could figure out why it's not loading. Didn't work in FSX either...wow.

Not security....not lack of redistributables... Fails on P3D and FSX... Really curious as to what it could be.

DaveWG
August 16th, 2016, 23:11
Yes, that's the new version. Not tried it in FSX yet, I need to reinstall that first.

xpelekis
August 16th, 2016, 23:39
In my FSX (boxed) installation works fine (yes, I'd missed the aileron switch) and I
know two more guys that works ok (FSX boxed).

I would have tested it in P3D v3 also, but last time I fired it up few days ago, it crashed without
apparent reason (that's first time)...

PHo17
August 18th, 2016, 09:26
In the Quick Start Manual page 10 is:

(1) Use your simulator's Trim Up bottom until the TAKEOFF TRIM light comes on.

My default Trim Up "bottom" (should it be button?) won't work. I always use joystick's trim. So the light of Takeoff Trim never lights (doesn't respond to joystick trim). Consequently I don't get this bird airborn.

Edit: Must look FSX settings for buttons (to morrow).

ceo1944
August 18th, 2016, 19:33
In the Quick Start Manual page 10 is:

My default Trim Up "bottom" (should it be button?) won't work. I always use joystick's trim. So the light of Takeoff Trim never lights (doesn't respond to joystick trim). Consequently I don't get this bird airborn.

Edit: Must look FSX settings for buttons (to morrow).

You caught my typo! Yes it should be button. There's nothing unusual about how the trim works on the MiG, it's the standard FSX/P3D setup. You can also use the keyboard to trim up.

Hint: on the little card affix to the panel to the right of the warning panel, the top left number shows your current trim setting. Anything above 19 is considered takeoff trim.

ejoiner
August 19th, 2016, 08:03
I almost never fly russian aircraft despite their beauty, because I cant read the cockpit gauges and they have very different procedures to western aircraft most of the time. However I LOVE this little beauty. The quick start guide steps you right through the switchology to get going and the aircraft is great. I found a couple of repaints for the slovakian and Hungarian AF as well. Bravo and well done!

My one comment... would it be possible to have a "quick start" button or option to start the aircraft from something other than cold cockpit? I tried saving a scenario with the aircraft started on the ramp, so I could just jump in, but as soon as I do, the plane dies and you have to go through the formal start up.

Great job and I will have fun with this one. (I should also say I am now pretty much exclusively P3D 3.3.5) Have not fired up FSX in months.

Eric

ejoiner
August 19th, 2016, 16:19
I almost never fly russian aircraft despite their beauty, because I cant read the cockpit gauges and they have very different procedures to western aircraft most of the time. However I LOVE this little beauty. The quick start guide steps you right through the switchology to get going and the aircraft is great. I found a couple of repaints for the slovakian and Hungarian AF as well. Bravo and well done!

My one comment... would it be possible to have a "quick start" button or option to start the aircraft from something other than cold cockpit? I tried saving a scenario with the aircraft started on the ramp, so I could just jump in, but as soon as I do, the plane dies and you have to go through the formal start up.

Great job and I will have fun with this one. (I should also say I am now pretty much exclusively P3D 3.3.5) Have not fired up FSX in months.

Eric

Correction... I found the "quick start" capability mentioned above with shift+3... this bird is awesome.

DaveWG
August 19th, 2016, 23:02
I'm still not having much luck with this. Reinstalled FSX, dropped in the Mig, no joy. Installed FSX on my laptop, tried the Mig, again no luck.
About to give up on this for now.
Does anybody using Win10 have the radar and weapons working?

PHo17
August 20th, 2016, 00:09
You caught my typo! Yes it should be button. There's nothing unusual about how the trim works on the MiG, it's the standard FSX/P3D setup. You can also use the keyboard to trim up.

Hint: on the little card affix to the panel to the right of the warning panel, the top left number shows your current trim setting. Anything above 19 is considered takeoff trim.

Thanks! Trim works now ok. I first didn't remember the trim buttons right (found that easily from FSX settings). That's why they didn't work. However the Takeoff Trim light didn't ever come on not at least with trim setting 20. What a plane! This is surely a keeper in my hangar.

Pekka

ejoiner
August 20th, 2016, 06:57
I'm still not having much luck with this. Reinstalled FSX, dropped in the Mig, no joy. Installed FSX on my laptop, tried the Mig, again no luck.
About to give up on this for now.
Does anybody using Win10 have the radar and weapons working?

I dont have tacpack installed on my P3D at the moment. but I cannot get the radar to work despite exact following of the quick start guide instructions. I can toggle through hanging different weapons on the MiG but cant use them. Perhaps this is a P3D vs FSX thing? I do let the rader sit in warm up mode, but then it wont turn on. Oh well.

What this bird really needs is an updated highly polished metal bird ala Tufun or Rick. Zsoltquack did some great repaints back in the day though. Had to search around the web for them. Would like to see if there was an MF variant used by China or Vietnam.

THis is the specific Vietnam MiG I'd love to see repainted.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-8IHqZtVjhzI/UsiKYTLXVnI/AAAAAAAABgI/DAgcNwXgrC8/s1600/Mig-21HMfinal.jpg

DaveWG
August 20th, 2016, 08:52
Finally got it working! :jump:

The RP22SM.dll gauge was looking for "Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT" which is part of VS2008 but not included in the runtime package. If that's not installed, then the gauge won't load. :pop4:

ejoiner
August 20th, 2016, 10:24
Finally got it working! :jump:

The RP22SM.dll gauge was looking for "Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT" which is part of VS2008 but not included in the runtime package. If that's not installed, then the gauge won't load. :pop4:

Dave, where can I get this Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT file?

DaveWG
August 20th, 2016, 10:34
I downloaded and installed VS2008 Express from Microsoft. Total overkill really but I don't think there's another way as it's not supposed to be distributed separately.
I assume gauge needs compiling without the debug option.

ejoiner
August 20th, 2016, 10:40
I downloaded and installed VS2008 Express from Microsoft. Total overkill really but I don't think there's another way as it's not supposed to be distributed separately.

Holy cow...thats like a gigabyte. To get ONE gauge working... I did the same, but it wanted me to burn the iso file to a disk to install, and I am not going through all that foolishness. Is Ivan Jurcaga still around? This sounds like one the developer needs to fix.

Stefano Zibell
August 20th, 2016, 15:00
No need to burn a disc, you can extract the contents of the iso to a folder with a program like 7-zip or similar.

ceo1944
August 20th, 2016, 15:08

I think you are correct Dave, and I'll compile up a release version with VS2008 an hopefully these dependency issues will go away for everyone. That's truly why we beta. Thanks for your determined efforts to get it to work!

Dutch

ceo1944
August 20th, 2016, 15:10
Holy cow...thats like a gigabyte. To get ONE gauge working... I did the same, but it wanted me to burn the iso file to a disk to install, and I am not going through all that foolishness. Is Ivan Jurcaga still around? This sounds like one the developer needs to fix.

I'm pretty sure I can fix that, I believe by the simple expedient of compiling without including debug code. I'll be doing that and posting up an updated Beta soon.

Sorry you have to do to so much trouble just to get the gauge to load.

Dutch

ceo1944
August 20th, 2016, 21:11
Here is an update, compiled without debugging stuff in it. Should fix most issues, hopefully, without any dependencies: http://fscaptain.net/downloads/MIG21MFN_beta_160821.zip

xpelekis
August 21st, 2016, 04:35

What about this instead ?...

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag200/xpelekis/MiG1_zpsupap9msi.jpg

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag200/xpelekis/MiG2_zpso11h5flb.jpg

If interested, see post#10 here -> http://simworksstudios.com/forum/index.php?topic=454.0

ejoiner
August 21st, 2016, 07:13
What about this instead ?...

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag200/xpelekis/MiG1_zpsupap9msi.jpg

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag200/xpelekis/MiG2_zpso11h5flb.jpg

If interested, see post#10 here -> http://simworksstudios.com/forum/index.php?topic=454.0

Thanks. I looked at that thread and couldnt see where to get these. ?

ejoiner
August 21st, 2016, 07:14
Does anybody besides me get an error on launch of the MiG 21 to go fly that says that a sound.ini file is missing? P3D substitutes a default one, but its still an error. How to fix?

DaveWG
August 21st, 2016, 08:56
I had that with the first beta, but not with the last ones.

ejoiner
August 21st, 2016, 17:28
I dont have tacpack installed on my P3D at the moment. but I cannot get the radar to work despite exact following of the quick start guide instructions. I can toggle through hanging different weapons on the MiG but cant use them. Perhaps this is a P3D vs FSX thing? I do let the rader sit in warm up mode, but then it wont turn on. Oh well.

What this bird really needs is an updated highly polished metal bird ala Tufun or Rick. Zsoltquack did some great repaints back in the day though. Had to search around the web for them. Would like to see if there was an MF variant used by China or Vietnam.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-8IHqZtVjhzI/UsiKYTLXVnI/AAAAAAAABgI/DAgcNwXgrC8/s1600/Mig-21HMfinal.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/3416/oLB2oh.png

Decided to give this a go myself. Not done yet, but headed in the right direction.

awstub
August 22nd, 2016, 00:32
Could the Tacpack mods be added to Ivan's Mig-21F-13 (FE2004/FSX) in the same manner as his earlier Mig-21MF?

It sure is a beauty...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/z98bot10a/Mig-21F13_7_zpsxqaqqnl1.jpg

ZsoltB
August 22nd, 2016, 01:27
http://www.kephost.com/images/2016/08/22/1.jpg

ejoiner
August 22nd, 2016, 01:50
Sweet! The available liveries just keep getting better and better!

Nice job Zsolt!

menef
August 22nd, 2016, 02:47
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/3416/oLB2oh.png

Decided to give this a go myself. Not done yet, but headed in the right direction.

:applause: I hope you'll upload it when finished :applause:

ZsoltB
August 22nd, 2016, 02:58
http://www.kephost.com/images/2016/08/22/2016-8-22_12-52-10-67.jpg

ejoiner
August 22nd, 2016, 09:39
http://www.kephost.com/images/2016/08/22/2016-8-22_12-52-10-67.jpg

Hi Zsolt, on what texture is the colored canopy outline found?

ZsoltB
August 22nd, 2016, 10:14
Hi Zsolt, on what texture is the colored canopy outline found?

I do not know

JensOle
August 22nd, 2016, 10:31
MF1_t texture just beside the canopy if I'm not remembering wrong.

ce_zeta
August 22nd, 2016, 11:03
Wow! Zsolt, these Lufstreitkräfte liveries are amazing!

ZsoltB
August 22nd, 2016, 11:31
http://www.kephost.com/images/2016/08/22/2016-8-22_21-20-37-993.jpg

menef
August 22nd, 2016, 12:58
Could the Tacpack mods be added to Ivan's Mig-21F-13 (FE2004/FSX) in the same manner as his earlier Mig-21MF?

It sure is a beauty...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/z98bot10a/Mig-21F13_7_zpsxqaqqnl1.jpg

It's a beauty but not FSX native like the MF one ( AFAK )

ejoiner
August 22nd, 2016, 14:27
MF1_t texture just beside the canopy if I'm not remembering wrong.

Yes thats it. I found it. :)

ejoiner
August 22nd, 2016, 15:06
:applause: I hope you'll upload it when finished :applause:

I dont think its up to the quality of Zsolts work, but its getting there. I will certainly upload it here.

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/8066/h3ttFi.jpg

ZsoltB
August 22nd, 2016, 19:06
I dont think its up to the quality of Zsolts work, but its getting there. I will certainly upload it here.

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/8066/h3ttFi.jpg

Very nice, but there's something wrong! No white helmet! :dizzy:

http://www.kephost.com/images/2016/08/23/3419e0.jpg

http://www.kephost.com/images/2016/08/23/enb2014_8_1_9_1_7.jpg

DaveWG
August 23rd, 2016, 09:59
Is there a repaint kit available for the Mig anywhere?

Stefano Zibell
August 23rd, 2016, 12:55
Is there a repaint kit available for the Mig anywhere?

There was an HD paintkit made by Dag that probably got lost in time. I made a few liveries back then using it, the only one noteworthy being the slovak airforce uploaded here.

For now though, I found this: http://www.flightsimulator.cz/addon/mig-21mf-cef-retro-2410-repaint-paintkit-fsx/

Will give it a go.

DaveWG
August 23rd, 2016, 13:17
Thanks for that.:encouragement:

awstub
August 23rd, 2016, 22:19
It's a beauty but not FSX native like the MF one ( AFAK )

It seems to work pretty well in FSX but I think you are probably right, that its not FSX native.

The only info in the manual concerning the model states:

Description
External:
-has got 45 534 polygons
-has got all of standart animations: ailerons, elevator, rudder, flaps, canopy, gear with detailed gear bay and spoilers
-has got various non-standard animations: jet nozzle, moving cone, anti-surging doors, low pressure doors, folding pitot tube, ejection, rotation of pilots head, sunshield of pilots helmet, ladder, chocks under wheels, covers of inlet and low pressure doors, external source of voltage, gear kinematics, shimmy damper on center gear, landing light reflectors under wings, moving tail- expose the engine, 4 weapons variantas (including animation of emergency jettison)
-hasn't got LOD optimizationInterior (VC):
-has got 35 390 polygons
-is fully clickable, except weapons systems.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/z98bot10a/Mig-21F13_1_zpsdhzvoekv.jpg

Animations
Ground equipment
You can control it by panel, which unhides by clicking the switch behind joystick on center panel ( at yellow rectangle on the first picture)

1) pilot- it hides/ unhides the pilot
2) technici- it hides/ unhides a cart under the tail
3) kryty- it hides/ unhides covers of inlet and low pressure doors
4) špalky- it hides/ unhides chocks under wheels
5) žebøík- it hides/ unhides the ladder
6) registry- it hides/ unhides training IR AA rocket under left wing, it was used a lot in Czechoslovakia
7) zdroj- it hides/ unhides external source of voltage, which is required for starting engine
8) sl. štít- control of sunshield of pilots helmet
9) pitotka- it folds the pitot tube- it was necessary for pushback

Weapons variants
are controled by panel, which unhides by clicking the switch "RS KANON" on the left panel (at yellow rectangle on the picture below)

1) R-3S- two IR guided AA rockets
2) UB-16- two AG rocket blocks with 2x16 unguided rockets
3)FAB-250- two 500lb unguided bombs
4) AFA-39 - two photocontainers, used by version MiG-21FR
Eject
FS miss this function, so this animation only demonstrate the real eject. You can eject by pull a red lever between legs. Then immediately change the view to spot and you can see the animation. In pause or slew the animation doesn't works.
Emergency jettison of weapons
Is controled by switch "Emergency jettison of weapons" (see the panel section, number 36) and only demonstrate the real jettison. No change in flight dynamics.

Emergency jettison of external fuel tank
Is controled by switch "Emergency jettison of external fuel tank" (see the panel section, number 18) and only demonstrate the real jettison. No change in flight dynamics or fuel capacity.
Opening the canopy and exposing the engine
Shift+E -open canopy
Shift+E+2 - move the tail (you should switch "technici" to unhide the cart under the tail) and expose the engineAnti-surging doors and low pressure doors
Anti-surging doors (at the nose) are opening automatically in speed higher than 1.5 M. Low pressure doors (under cockpit) are fully open at zero speed and are filly closed at speed about 100 km/ h.

Cone
Cone is controled by hydraulic system of the airplane. It regulates the mass of the air, which gets through the engine (logically at high speed is the mass bigger and cone controls it by its extending). Cone is controled automatically. At zero speed is fully retracted, at 1.5M is the first extension (+10cm) and at 1.9M is the second extension (+7cm). You can control it manualy by the 3-positions switch, which is placed near start switch (see the panel section, number 10)

DaveWG
August 23rd, 2016, 23:08
That one is definitely not native. I was looking at it last night with a view to doing a conversion but there's lots of custom animations which would have to be recreated from scratch. Not a 5 minute job.

menef
August 24th, 2016, 01:07
That one is definitely not native. I was looking at it last night with a view to doing a conversion but there's lots of custom animations which would have to be recreated from scratch. Not a 5 minute job.

Considering that we have so few Russian military jets for our FSX
it should be nice that someone make this conversion!!! Yes I know
that it's easy to say things and do nothing:triumphant::jump:

awstub
August 24th, 2016, 05:30

That's unfortunate. I figured it would be easier to Tacpack too, since it didn't have radar.

There is a paint kit for the Mig-21F-13 and am using it to try and learn how to do repaints.
The one I posted here is the first one I was able to actually get to look halfway decent.
Hopefully we'll see a paint kit for the Mig-21MF?

Stefano Zibell
August 24th, 2016, 08:44
Post #65 on this page of this topic.

menef
August 24th, 2016, 12:33
Hi folks ! A little problem : just performing a single tonneau the engine stops and it's necessary a restart in flight ( :mixed-smiley-027:) so inverted flight is a suicide. Real Mig21MF was so sensible
to inusual attitude or there are something to adjust in the
FDE??? Flight manual states maximum 15 seconds of inverted flight but an entire tonneau takes more or less 4 seconds:dizzy:

ceo1944
August 24th, 2016, 16:05
I'll take her up and check this out. probably something wonky with the negative g code, we'll see...

Edited to say: yes some numbers needed a little tweaking. I rolled inverted and lasted almost 11 seconds. Fixed, not allows about 17 seconds neg g time.

Hi folks ! A little problem : just performing a single tonneau the engine stops and it's necessary a restart in flight ( :mixed-smiley-027:) so inverted flight is a suicide. Real Mig21MF was so sensible
to inusual attitude or there are something to adjust in the
FDE??? Flight manual states maximum 15 seconds of inverted flight but an entire tonneau takes more or less 4 seconds:dizzy:

menef
August 25th, 2016, 03:59
Ceo1944 , there's another little problem: the air-start procedure as
showed in the manual (steps 1-2-3) doesn't work. When on the ground I start the jet with ctrl+E after having switched on the quick
start button (pop-up panel ) and I leave it ON during the flight. May
be it interfere with the in flight restart?

ejoiner
August 25th, 2016, 17:31
Very nice, but there's something wrong! No white helmet! :dizzy:

Yep. have replaced the black helmet with white in latest version. :)

ceo1944
August 25th, 2016, 20:02
I did a test flight and verified a couple of problems with the 'quick start'. It turns the air/ground switch to air. You need to move it back down to ground, so that you can flip it up if you need to restart (then back down again). Then the air start works fine.

The other, worse problem is that using quick start doesn't set the proper code to make the negative-G tank work, so it stays empty, which means any negative G will immediately shut down the engine!!

I will fix these when I can but right now I'm concentrating on another project. When I get a chance I'll look at these problem.

I would recommended not using 'quick start' until it's fixed.

(I almost never use the quick start.)

Dutch

Ceo1944 , there's another little problem: the air-start procedure as
showed in the manual (steps 1-2-3) doesn't work. When on the ground I start the jet with ctrl+E after having switched on the quick
start button (pop-up panel ) and I leave it ON during the flight. May
be it interfere with the in flight restart?

ZsoltB
August 25th, 2016, 23:02
Yep. have replaced the black helmet with white in latest version. :)

???

Zsolt

menef
August 26th, 2016, 00:53
I did a test flight and verified a couple of problems with the 'quick start'. It turns the air/ground switch to air. You need to move it back down to ground, so that you can flip it up if you need to restart (then back down again). Then the air start works fine.

The other, worse problem is that using quick start doesn't set the proper code to make the negative-G tank work, so it stays empty, which means any negative G will immediately shut down the engine!!

I will fix these when I can but right now I'm concentrating on another project. When I get a chance I'll look at these problem.

Dutch
Ok Thank you for your support :very_drunk:

ejoiner
August 26th, 2016, 07:25
???

Zsolt

Actually, I havent. I thought I had this mapped out as the fresnel_lamp.bmp, but it isnt. I cant really figure out how to replace that black helmet. frustrating. The helmet seems to be texture mapped in several pieces.

ejoiner
August 26th, 2016, 16:27
Got things all figured out and uploaded here a few minutes ago. should be available with next library update cycle.

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/7214/ZsTjqq.jpg

YoYo
August 28th, 2016, 11:22
btw. Interesting news.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xal1/t31.0-8/14086266_1577879205848958_337887770027705001_o.png

VAAFSE Vipers are going to have again the old fashioned "Fishbed", "bitter cocks" for every one.
SSW have used the well-made MIG 21 MF from Ivan Jurcaga and friends, modifying it for VAAFSE needs, adding vACMI compat, an enhaced RP21 radar and some nice liveries.
When finished SSW will ask the authors the permission to publish as freeware his work.
Video below shows air to air combat capability using ATOLL (Aim-9 clone)
https://youtu.be/<wbr>qu0PfV3-Wnw (https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2Fqu0PfV3-Wnw&h=fAQFWXp3a&enc=AZOei3WGSf457am1JPDIME4M8-RDgLzhsIR6SIubaNDnhPOo0STIgJ6kjkNAI1JPwftbJ3y9LLwp qdGLn279L_eXHR1zSTGe2UVe0VbOTqJLACPnc54HWAsSdBP4D3 XgfBf7Lw4iRH1ZmJ_vepRxxsSA&s=1)

menef
August 28th, 2016, 11:54
Great new!!!!:jump:

ejoiner
August 29th, 2016, 12:27

Dutch

Any possibility to do a quick fix to get the radar working in P3D? It apparently needs a run time DLL that did not go with the gauge in distribution?

DaveWG
August 29th, 2016, 12:39
Any possibility to do a quick fix to get the radar working in P3D? It apparently needs a run time DLL that did not go with the gauge in distribution?

Been done.

Here is an update, compiled without debugging stuff in it. Should fix most issues, hopefully, without any dependencies: http://fscaptain.net/downloads/MIG21MFN_beta_160821.zip

ejoiner
August 29th, 2016, 14:39
With that update, this MiG is now one of my very favorite "Go To" fighters. Just beautiful work.

Thanks to all who created, modified and painted this birdie!

Awesome job.

Eric

menef
August 30th, 2016, 01:03
With that update, this MiG is now one of my very favorite "Go To" fighters. Just beautiful work.

Thanks to all who created, modified and painted this birdie!

Awesome job.

Eric
I fully agree!!! This airplane is one of those freeware product that makes me forget many more sophisticated and expensive payware
addons. Sometime I wonder how pay-developers could have missed an iconic jet like this ( and they continue to ignore many
other important military planes, e.g. Mig 19/23/25/27/29 + some
Sukhoi ). :encouragement:

SSW1
August 30th, 2016, 01:34
At SSW there is a "rumor" that says it will begin the development of his own Mig 21 Bis .
This will happen after relased as freeware a SSW-modified version of Ivan Jurcaga's MIG21 MFN (upon permission of authors) and when G-91, Mirage F1 projects are done, hopefully within the first 2017 quarter
cheers
/SSW

YoYo
August 30th, 2016, 01:42
At SSW there is a "rumor" that says it will begin the development of his own Mig 21 Bis .
This will happen after relased as freeware a SSW-modified version of Ivan Jurcaga's MIG21 MFN (upon permission of authors) and when G-91, Mirage F1 projects are done, hopefully within the first 2017 quarter
cheers
/SSW

So it will be whole model with active weapon ? Not update only ? :biggrin-new:

ce_zeta
August 30th, 2016, 02:07
I fully agree!!! This airplane is one of those freeware product that makes me forget many more sophisticated and expensive payware
addons. Sometime I wonder how pay-developers could have missed an iconic jet like this ( and they continue to ignore many
other important military planes, e.g. Mig 19/23/25/27/29 + some
Sukhoi ). :encouragement:
For me it is normal. IMHO, FS addons market customer base is in US, Commonwealth and western and central Europe (France and Deustchland mostly). CIS and Eastern Europe customers represent a low part due to the high prices. So there are more potential sales for a F-105 than a MiG-21Bis.

Also, although there are tons of detailed info available on the web about some soviet fighters and other iconic airplanes (An-12, An-124, An-26/32, An-74, Il-18, Il-76, Ka-32 Mi-10, Mi-17, Mi-26, MiG-21 MiG-29, Su-27S...) these docs (tons of real manuals) are in russian.

For a russian development company must be a piece of cake and of course take the revenues in a strong currency is wonderful...but Only OctopusG and Sibwings AFAIK are russian developers...Sadly Sibwings is out of the business.

awstub
August 30th, 2016, 02:16
Got things all figured out and uploaded here a few minutes ago. should be available with next library update cycle.

That's a very nice looking paint job, ejoiner.

Where did you find the helmet texture? I've looked at all the files, but I can't seem to figure out which one is the texture for the GD-6M helmet...or any helmet for that matter.

I'm having an issue where the markings I have applied are fairly sharp when viewed straight on (like the first picture) but then as the viewing angle increases they get blurry (like the second picture).

I have tried using higher resolution texture for the markings, but they still have the blurryness issue and I cant figure out what is causing this.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/z98bot10a/Mig-21MF_Phuc_Yen_Taxi_zpsw6pguiti.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/z98bot10a/Mig-21MF_Kill_4_zpszqjode6d.jpg

SSW1
August 30th, 2016, 04:48
So it will be whole model with active weapon ? Not update only ? :biggrin-new:

Yep, a new model built from scratch.
/SSW

ejoiner
August 30th, 2016, 06:01

Where did you find the helmet texture? I've looked at all the files, but I can't seem to figure out which one is the texture for the GD-6M helmet...or any helmet for that matter.

I'm having an issue where the markings I have applied are fairly sharp when viewed straight on (like the first picture) but then as the viewing angle increases they get blurry (like the second picture).

I have tried using higher resolution texture for the markings, but they still have the blurryness issue and I cant figure out what is causing this.

Look for this file to repaint the helmet. MiG-21MF_helma.bmp

Its not in every repaint. However, it is in my Vietnamese paint. Its a simple white block. You cant do anything fancy with it.

menef
August 30th, 2016, 11:01

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/z98bot10a/Mig-21MF_Phuc_Yen_Taxi_zpsw6pguiti.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/z98bot10a/Mig-21MF_Kill_4_zpszqjode6d.jpg

Sorry mates but where's the download link for this paint?:dizzy:
I thought that only the cammo version was made...:dizzy:

ZsoltB
August 30th, 2016, 11:06
http://www.kephost.com/images/2016/08/30/2016-8-30_11-36-30-128.jpg

ejoiner
August 30th, 2016, 11:40
Hi Zsolt. Are you going to release your recently painted schemes like the GDR one? Beauties.

Also, I for my own use, updated your Libyan scheme to include Free Libyan Air Force roundels/flags. Just kept it for myself as its your paint. I did find you forgot to paint the forward gear doors on that one... :)

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/29/JbRiIE.png

ZsoltB
August 30th, 2016, 11:48
Hi Zsolt. Are you going to release your recently painted schemes like the GDR one? Beauties.

Also, I for my own use, updated your Libyan scheme to include Free Libyan Air Force roundels/flags. Just kept it for myself as its your paint. I did find you forgot to paint the forward gear doors on that one... :)

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/29/JbRiIE.png

Which one do you think LSK paints?

ce_zeta
August 30th, 2016, 12:34
Which one do you think LSK paints?

Both of them.:encouragement:

awstub
August 30th, 2016, 14:50
Sorry mates but where's the download link for this paint?:dizzy:
I thought that only the cammo version was made...:dizzy:

Hi menef, I am working on this paint and plan to release it as soon as I can.

I am very new at this (this is my second repaint attempt) and am learning as I go along.

I still need to make a few adjustments (i.e. move the "kill" markings forward to the correct position and add red canopy frame trim) before it is complete.....but I would also like to fix the blurry textures if possible. I just don't know what is causing it.

The programs I'm using are Photoshop v2014.0.0 20140508.r.58 to paint and DXTBmp v4.00.96.

menef
August 31st, 2016, 06:47

I am very new at this (this is my second repaint attempt) and am learning as I go along.

I still need to make a few adjustments (i.e. move the "kill" markings forward to the correct position and add red canopy frame trim) before it is complete.....but I would also like to fix the blurry textures if possible. I just don't know what is causing it.

The programs I'm using are Photoshop v2014.0.0 20140508.r.58 to paint and DXTBmp v4.00.96.

Ok thank you and good job :very_drunk:

ejoiner
August 31st, 2016, 09:05

For the canopy trim, check file MiG-21MF_1_T.dds (or BMP) and look at the canopy area. you will see a block located in the middle of the canopy cut out section that is actually mapped to the canopy outline you want to color. You can see this in my VPAF repaint, which is dark red in color. Kill markings you will just need to cover with another layer from the paint kit.

ejoiner
August 31st, 2016, 13:19
Hi, can anyone tell me why I cannot make shiny bare metal on this mig-21? Normally I can do this through the Alpha channel, but it doesnt seem to have any impact on this model. Does it need specular maps? (Do they work with this model?)

ejoiner
August 31st, 2016, 14:06
http://media.moddb.com/images/groups/1/3/2044/0469919.jpg

awstub
August 31st, 2016, 19:17
For the canopy trim, check file MiG-21MF_1_T.dds (or BMP) and look at the canopy area. you will see a block located in the middle of the canopy cut out section that is actually mapped to the canopy outline you want to color. You can see this in my VPAF repaint, which is dark red in color. Kill markings you will just need to cover with another layer from the paint kit.

Yep. I found the canopy trim by accident (thought it might be the helmet).
I did create a new layer with the kill markings, but I placed it incorrectly on my test paints because the reference drawing I originally used was incorrect.

Now everything is pretty much in the correct position and all I need to fix is the blurriness issue. I
have a feeling that the cause is that I have been saving the textures in BMP format. I've tried to save in DDS format but it doesn't work. It puts the textures all in the wrong places.

Here is my latest incarnation....I really wish it looked as sharp as it does in Photoshop and DXTBmp:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/z98bot10a/thumbnail_zps1d98qlyt.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/z98bot10a/Mig-21MF_grab_0050_zpsnduc1fmg.jpg

Butcherbird17
August 31st, 2016, 19:32
Yep. I found the canopy trim by accident (thought it might be the helmet).
I did create a new layer with the kill markings, but I placed it incorrectly on my test paints because the reference drawing I originally used was incorrect.

Now everything is pretty much in the correct position and all I need to fix is the blurriness issue. I
have a feeling that the cause is that I have been saving the textures in BMP format. I've tried to save in DDS format but it doesn't work. It puts the textures all in the wrong places.

Here is my latest incarnation....I really wish it looked as sharp as it does in Photoshop and DXTBmp:

That sounds like you need to flip the BMP first. If your using dxtbmp to save the file, first flip the image w/alpha
then save as DDS. I use Image Tool with a batch file to save from BMP to DDS, plus you can do multiple files at the
same time. If you would like this, PM your email addy and I will send to you.

Joe

ZsoltB
August 31st, 2016, 21:08
http://www.kephost.com/images/2016/09/01/2016-9-1_7-4-46-405.jpg

awstub
August 31st, 2016, 21:43

NICE!

:applause:
How do you crank these out so fast???

ZsoltB
August 31st, 2016, 22:18
NICE!

:applause:
How do you crank these out so fast???

http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=182156

ZsoltB
September 1st, 2016, 01:31
http://www.kephost.com/images/2016/09/01/2016-9-1_11-17-17-853.jpg

menef
September 1st, 2016, 03:36
Some in-game shots taken last month :
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42555&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42557&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42558&stc=1

menef
September 1st, 2016, 03:41
Part 2 :

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42559&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42560&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42561&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42562&stc=1

ZsoltB
September 1st, 2016, 04:53
http://www.kephost.com/images/2016/09/01/2016-9-1_14-39-26-303.jpg

http://www.kephost.com/images/2016/09/01/2016-9-1_14-40-29-588.jpg

http://www.kephost.com/images/2016/09/01/2016-9-1_14-49-58-767.jpg

ejoiner
September 1st, 2016, 06:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcvXWJcKe7U&feature=youtu.be

Hi all, quick video of the awesome MiG-21 using Orbx scenery and Zsoltquack's great M-130 Finnish AF livery. original resolution 3480x2160 at 60 FPS using Asus Strix GTX 1070 video card. You can advance the video a couple of minutes if you dont want to watch me step through engine startup... :) I also am using Ezdok for viewing system. I used Nvidia shadowplay to record the video. Original mp4 size 2.5 gb.

ZsoltB
September 1st, 2016, 06:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcvXWJcKe7U&feature=youtu.be

Hi all, quick video of the awesome MiG-21 using Orbx scenery and Zsoltquack's great M-130 Finnish AF livery. original resolution 3480x2160 at 60 FPS using Asus Strix GTX 1070 video card. You can advance the video a couple of minutes if you dont want to watch me step through engine startup... :) I also am using Ezdok for viewing system.

:encouragement: :applause:

ejoiner
September 1st, 2016, 20:09

Hi Zsolt. Was this bird painted more than once in this splinter scheme? I see your gray blue scheme here which is AWESOME. However in the picture I posted originally the scheme is two tone gray. Also in your repaint on the blue/gray, the Czech roundels on the bottom are full color.... are they supposed to be that way or neutral colors like the top side?

awstub
September 1st, 2016, 21:14
That sounds like you need to flip the BMP first. If your using dxtbmp to save the file, first flip the image w/alpha
then save as DDS. I use Image Tool with a batch file to save from BMP to DDS, plus you can do multiple files at the
same time. If you would like this, PM your email addy and I will send to you.

Joe

Thank you, Butcherbird17. I was able to use Image Tool, to convert the BMP files to DDS per your simple instructions.

Here is the result (along with CCP spawned B-52D formation over Hanoi):

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/z98bot10a/Mig-21MF_grab_0051_zpsqq7zzyvl.jpg

I have to add a couple of minor details ( I forgot to enable them before compiling in DXTBmp) and then I will see if I can figure out how to allow others to D/L the repaint.

Thank you again for helping me Butcherbird17

ejoiner
September 2nd, 2016, 04:54
http://www.kephost.com/images/2016/09/01/2016-9-1_14-39-26-303.jpg

Zsolt, where are you hiding this beauty at? :) I need this one!

Eric

ZsoltB
September 2nd, 2016, 05:46
Zsolt, where are you hiding this beauty at? :) I need this one!

Eric

http://www.filedropper.com/mig-21mf

:wavey: (http://www.filedropper.com/mig-21mf)

ejoiner
September 2nd, 2016, 05:54
http://www.filedropper.com/mig-21mf

:wavey: (http://www.filedropper.com/mig-21mf)

Getting an error that the file doesnt exist on the server?

ZsoltB
September 2nd, 2016, 06:11
Getting an error that the file doesnt exist on the server?

http://www.megafileupload.com/7sad/MiG-21MF.zip

ZsoltB
September 2nd, 2016, 07:17
http://www.kephost.com/images/2016/09/02/2016-9-2_17-10-1-860.jpg

ZsoltB
September 2nd, 2016, 07:31
http://www.kephost.com/images/2016/09/02/2016-9-2_17-24-12-776.jpg

ZsoltB
September 2nd, 2016, 08:09
Here the paints ideas....

http://studiogekko.blogspot.hu/p/mig-21-what-if-profiles_05.html

Nice,but "What if"
(http://studiogekko.blogspot.hu/p/mig-21-what-if-profiles_05.html)

ZsoltB
September 2nd, 2016, 08:29
http://www.kephost.com/images/2016/09/02/2016-9-2_18-23-56-13.jpg

ZsoltB
September 2nd, 2016, 08:29
http://www.kephost.com/images/2016/09/02/2016-9-2_18-26-53-794.jpg

Victory103
September 2nd, 2016, 08:32
Cool site, I would take any of those camo -21 schemes, especially the USN adversary styles.

awstub
September 2nd, 2016, 21:02
I think I have all the markings for 5121 placed correctly. The VPAF aircraft had a fairly worn look due to the wartime conditions and climate. I'm trying to subdue everything a little bit to give them that "not so fresh" look.

It's kind of a drag to adjust them in PS, convert them in DDS Converter, then drop them into FSX and start a flight.....just to find out that I did it either did too much or too little.

I hope to be able to offer it to anyone who want's it by tomorrow.

This one came out just a little bit too dark, but it's pretty close to the look I'm going for...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/z98bot10a/Mig-21MF_grab_0058_zpsdfyvocze.jpg

DaveQ
September 2nd, 2016, 23:26
"It's kind of a drag to adjust them in PS, convert them in DDS Converter, then drop them into FSX and start a flight.....just to find out that I did it either did too much or too little."

There's a plug-in for Photoshop that lets you save directly as a .dds file. You don't have do anything. Here's the link-

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop

DaveQ

Bjoern
September 3rd, 2016, 03:36
It's kind of a drag to adjust them in PS, convert them in DDS Converter, then drop them into FSX and start a flight.....just to find out that I did it either did too much or too little.

Export your texture as 24 or 32 bit .bmp and view it on the model in ModelConverterX (http://www.scenerydesign.org/development-releases/). Recent versions only read texture folder information from aircraft.cfg files, so make sure to set up a folder and accompanying [fltsim.x] section.

awstub
September 3rd, 2016, 20:03
I think I'm at a point where my meagre skills are not going to get it looking much better...... so if someone can give me ...or point me to.. the directions (and any rules/etiquette) on how to make it available to others , I'll post it.

Thank you Butcherbird17, DaveQ and Bjoern for helping me.

Operational pictures I have seen of this particular MiG seems to show fading/chipping paint on the markings...and I have tried to reproduce that effect. I people prefer a more pristine version, I can include those textures too.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/z98bot10a/Mig-21MF_Weathered_2_zpsl3f8necx.jpg

menef
September 4th, 2016, 23:54
I think I'm at a point where my meagre skills are not going to get it looking much better...... so if someone can give me ...or point me to.. the directions (and any rules/etiquette) on how to make it available to others , I'll post it.

Thank you Butcherbird17, DaveQ and Bjoern for helping me.

Operational pictures I have seen of this particular MiG seems to show fading/chipping paint on the markings...and I have tried to reproduce that effect. I people prefer a more pristine version, I can include those textures too.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/z98bot10a/Mig-21MF_Weathered_2_zpsl3f8necx.jpg
Very nice work :applause: ( Both paints !!!!!!!! )

SSW1
September 5th, 2016, 13:57
SSW has quite finished modifications on Jurcaga MIG 21 to fit it into VAAFSE ( www.vaafse.org (http://www.vaafse.org)) needs.
Plane is both TacPack and vACMI compatible.
Some fictional liveries for VAAFSE Vipers have been done using our own modified paintkit at 2048x2048 (thanks to K. Scharwz).
Actually has been released to Vipers for beta testing.
When the beta testing phase willl be concluded it will be release freely.
We must recognize the credits to those who before us have helped to achieve this:
- Ivan Jurcaga, Peter Priskin, Kendy Schwarz,Dag Roger Stangeland
cheers
/SSW
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42694&stc=1

Sundog
September 5th, 2016, 18:36
Awesome! I really need to get my new PC built so I can start enjoying all of these great add-ons again. :)

DagR
September 5th, 2016, 21:00
Let it be known that I never gave SSW permission to use any of my work in their release. Now, since it seems to already been done, I leave it at that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ZsoltB
September 5th, 2016, 21:03
SSW has quite finished modifications on Jurcaga MIG 21 to fit it into VAAFSE ( www.vaafse.org (http://www.vaafse.org)) needs.
Plane is both TacPack and vACMI compatible.
Some fictional liveries for VAAFSE Vipers have been done using our own modified paintkit at 2048x2048 (thanks to K. Scharwz).
Actually has been released to Vipers for beta testing.
When the beta testing phase willl be concluded it will be release freely.
We must recognize the credits to those who before us have helped to achieve this:
- Ivan Jurcaga, Peter Priskin, Kendy Schwarz,Dag Roger Stangeland
cheers
/SSW
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42694&stc=1

Original paint by Zsolt Beleznay :-)

http://www.kephost.com/images/2016/09/06/2011-7-8_14-33-59-656.jpg

<center>FSX - FSX Modern Military</center> <center>FSX MiG-21MF
</center> <center> [ Download (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=157745) | View (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fsview.php?do=list&fid=157745) ] </center>
Name: vfc12-1.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=157745)
Size: 7,271,826 Date: 07-18-2011 Downloads: 414

http://www.flightsim.com/images/fscfiles/q/vfc12-1.gif
FSX MiG-21MF, VFC-12 fictional. Model by Ivan Jurcaga. Repaint by Zsolt Beleznay.

<tbody>

</tbody>

Thank you!

SSW1
September 5th, 2016, 23:09
Original paint by Zsolt Beleznay :-)

Thank you!
Apologize, i forgot to mention you here in credits since you did this paintig schemes before (i did it in another place, at FB page).

However we used our own modified paintkit, obtained by Kendy Schwarz that authorized his use and distribution of derivative work.
Several works on alpha channels, it somehow repairs the specular map lack into the model that causes highly saturated reflections in FSX and especially in P3D using HDR lighting.
Used 2048 sheets instead 1024 and other minor enhancements and replacements on original sheets.
Painting scheme is a free interpretation of "fighting Omars" : http://studiogekko.blogspot.it/p/mig-21-what-if-profiles_05.html

cheers
/SSW

ZsoltB
September 5th, 2016, 23:23
Apologize, i forgot to mention you here in credits since you did this paintig schemes before (i did it in another place, at FB page).

However we used our own modified paintkit, obtained by Kendy Schwarz that authorized his use and distribution of derivative work.
Several works on alpha channels, it somehow repairs the specular map lack into the model that causes highly saturated reflections in FSX and especially in P3D using HDR lighting.
Used 2048 sheets instead 1024 and other minor enhancements and replacements on original sheets.
Painting scheme is a free interpretation of "fighting Omars" : http://studiogekko.blogspot.it/p/mig-21-what-if-profiles_05.html

cheers
/SSW

Yes!

That was the basic idea: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RtYCLAY8wsY/S7i1UQoYzfI/AAAAAAAAADE/4sh50j0kRDE/s1600/Fighting+Omars2.jpg

http://www.kephost.com/images/2016/09/06/2016-9-6_9-30-51-898.jpg

http://www.kephost.com/images/2016/09/06/2016-9-6_9-31-6-646.jpg

This is my paint

I would be grateful if they showing my name too (http://studiogekko.blogspot.hu/p/mig-21-what-if-profiles_05.html)

Thank you,
Zsolt Beleznay

ce_zeta
September 5th, 2016, 23:43
What are the improvements from MiG-21MF upgrade phase II of Dutch?

ZsoltB
September 5th, 2016, 23:46
http://www.kephost.com/images/2016/09/06/2016-9-6_9-40-12-842.jpg

SSW1
September 5th, 2016, 23:57
Let it be known that I never gave SSW permission to use any of my work in their release. Now, since it seems to already been done, I leave it at that.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Nothing has been already done, we did not have distributed anything yet"

May be there is some misunderstanding here, Dag work is released by Avsim.SU freely.
We are talking about 39502-texture-red27.zip at: http://www.avsimrus.com/files.phtml?uploader=70971.
Since the work is freely distributed and no copyright notice is inserted into the zipped package we could assume to use the most advanced GPL v3 (General Public License) worldwide used. See Free Software Foundation (www.fsf.org (http://www.fsf.org)).
This license states that software freely distributed can be used, copied and/or modified freely provided that derivative work continues to be distributed under same conditions.
No permission must be asked to original author since it is implied in the license, is a good practice give credit to original author, as has been done here.
We are sorry Dag, but we are perfectly aligned with software rules here since we gave credits to you and we distribute the derivative work freely as we got the original.
if you wanted to deny someone from modifying your software and/or distributing derivative work you should have inserted a Copyright notice in distributed packages, these are the rules.
Nothing has been distributed yet, however we willingly avoid to insert Dag's derivative work into our freely distributed package.
cheers
/SSW

SSW1
September 6th, 2016, 00:00
Yes!

This is my paint

I would be grateful if they showing my name too (http://studiogekko.blogspot.hu/p/mig-21-what-if-profiles_05.html)

Thank you,
Zsolt Beleznay

For sure, has been done and will be continued.
/SSW

DagR
September 6th, 2016, 00:09
[QUOTE=SSW1;1043046]May be there is some misunderstanding here, Dag work is released by Avsim.SU freely.
Since the work is freely distributed and no copyright notice is inserted into the zipped package we could assume to use the most advanced GPL v3 (General Public License) worldwide used. See Free Software Foundation (www.fsf.org (http://www.fsf.org)).
This license states that software freely distributed can be used, copied and modified freely provided that derivative work continues to be distributed under same conditions.
No permission must be asked to original author since it is implied on the license, is a good practice give credit to author, as has been done here.
We are sorry Dag, but we are perfectly aligned with software rules here since we gave credits to you and we distribute the derivative work freely as we got the original.
if you wanted to deny someone from modifying your software or distributing derivative work you should have inserted a Copyright notice in distributed packages, these are the rules.
However we willingly avoid to insert Dag's derivative work into our freely distributed package.
cheers
/SSW[/

I admire the politeness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

menef
September 6th, 2016, 02:38
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42702&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42703&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42704&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42705&stc=1

ZsoltB
September 6th, 2016, 03:11
http://www.kephost.com/images/2016/09/06/2016-9-6_12-51-12-224.jpg

SSW1
September 12th, 2016, 09:16
"The Dubrovnik avenger" (hope is original, no other found into the net, if i'm wrong, apologize).
Somewhat "fictionall" since Croatian Mig's are MIG 21 bis, however...
Still a lot to learn on texturizing field, however learned how to manage alpha channels to create nice paint corrosion effects.
Using GIMP (yep, biased by open source software) :lemo:
Soon livery and a modified paintkit derived from Kendy Schwarz will be set freely available here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kifn4yuzhbqts4/dubrovink_avenger.jpg?dl=0

henrystreet
September 12th, 2016, 10:02
Yes!

That was the basic idea: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RtYCLAY8wsY/S7i1UQoYzfI/AAAAAAAAADE/4sh50j0kRDE/s1600/Fighting+Omars2.jpg

This is my paint

Thank you,
Zsolt Beleznay

Zsolt, you know this is my favorite paint for this bird! Thanks!

SSW1
September 14th, 2016, 05:38
Here the picture of the finished livery, Mig at Zelijava airfiled (wip)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/coao2syrbgspnrg/zelijava.jpg?dl=0
Livery can be downloaded from here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lcx3sbpsfxtji22/MIG21.VAAFSE.pkit.zip?dl=0
paintkit included.
Is my first attempt to make a livery, still a lot to learn, don't shot the pianist.
Here an extract from the readme.txt

Croatian Mig 21 "Dubrovnik Avenger"
===================================
Install instructions:
- copy the content of all texture.xx folders into MIG21 main folder
- add to aircraft.cfg below fltsim section, change [fltsim.XX] appropriately

Credits:
--------
Based on the Ivan Jurcaga model and Kendy Schwarz paintkit.

Licensing:
---------
Both textures and paintkit are licensed under GLP v 3.0 and later (https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html)

Kendy Schwarz paintkit modification:
------------------------------------
- removed static shadows, no more used since FSX/P3D rendering engines do the trick
- added alpha channels work to implement paint corrosion
- sheets reorganized grouping various objects

Texture folders rearranging
---------------------------
many shared textures have been rearranged in order to do not replicate most of them,
only MiG-21MF_1_T,MiG-21MF_2_T,MiG-21MF_2_T need to be unique.
At this end i used texture.cfg into texture.DubrovnikAvenger folder
User who wants take advantage of this feature may want delete unnecessary texture from other folders and
copy .\texture.DubrovnikAvenger\texture.cfg into purged folders.

Paintkit
--------
All paintkit sheets have been made using GIMP, who uses Photoshop can easily import them or install GIMP
and GIMP plugins for psd, open as .xcf and save as .psd

Author:
-------
Motta Mario
mario@mariomotta.it

ejoiner
September 14th, 2016, 13:53
In P3D, the gunsight and basket site are white by default, but sometimes, when I switch views and return to the cockpit, its yellow for a few seconds then turns back white. I have seen for instance in DLC, that their mig 21 has yellow site colors. Is there a way to change the site colors besides just white? In some circumstances, such as evening or low light, I dont want that bright white.

ceo1944
September 14th, 2016, 20:04
In P3D, the gunsight and basket site are white by default, but sometimes, when I switch views and return to the cockpit, its yellow for a few seconds then turns back white. I have seen for instance in DLC, that their mig 21 has yellow site colors. Is there a way to change the site colors besides just white? In some circumstances, such as evening or low light, I dont want that bright white.

Hmmmm...I don't know why it's gone white in P3D. In FSX DX10, which I fly with almost always, it's yellow. I'll poke around and see when I get a chance. Which won't be until the weekend at the earliest.

Jafo
September 14th, 2016, 21:23
For an artwork [skin] to be acceptable/used under the GNU/GPL Licence it needs to be stated as such.
It's not an implied right as International Copyright Law protects art under inherent rights not needing formal statement.
To relinquish copyright control of an artwork to enable derivative works it must be formally stated by the copyright holder.
Graphic art itself is not a Linux distribution - from whence this 'Copyleft' ideology originated.

If you simply 'assume' something can be freely used you can find yourself on the wrong side of Copyright Law. There are quite a few 'dispensations' within US Copyright Law such as 'fair use' etc which are being universally accepted in other countries thanks to the global expanse of the Internet, but I would certainly be reticent towards presuming GPL status in anything which does not specifically state such being applicable....;)

Having a multi-decade history of monitoring artists' copyright with Graphic art for the Windows GUI for Stardock via Wincustomize.com and other skinning/art sites including Deviantart.com it's not without a little experience...;)

pr945b
September 18th, 2016, 07:10
Sorry guys, but I have to ask for some help, because even if I do anything, I can only make "level flights" with the Fishbed: it doesn't climbs and (after cheating with altitude) in the air it turns so "fast", as a snail. So something is wrong with the elevator. (I know that the real a/c had two setting for controlling it, depending on the actual speed.) So I know it's my fault, but what did I forget to turn on or off, why can't I take off? Sorry and thanks in advance.

DaveWG
September 18th, 2016, 07:22
Sounds like you haven't got the aileron power assist turned on. Left hand console, just in front of the throttle. Check the quick-start manual, page 10.

pr945b
September 18th, 2016, 08:02
Finally, it works! Thank you for your help, Dave! (It looks like the aileron power assist is just not enough, the take off trimm must be used too.)

Hanimichal
September 20th, 2016, 12:45
MiG-21 is amazing! In Syria they still use in fight against islamic terrorists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaHvY3hffcw

Also i did this paint for this model https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/13779/fsx-syrian-mig-21mf/

Bjoern
September 22nd, 2016, 10:13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAfe4MmK_CA

It may be in German, but the footage is great. Most, if not all, of the Fishbeds shown are MiG-21PFMs though.

Note the four-digit aircraft IDs, with the last digit sticking out like a sore thumb. I wonder why? :)

Also note the (german) ground controller and (german) pilot speaking Russian. Just as their western counterparts would speak English when airborne.

Here's another film, but dealing more with flight-readying a MiG-21M, launch preparations during a mock air attack (~28:25 mins), MiG-23 autobahn operations by Germans and Russians (35:50 mins) and an Unteroffizier narrating flight-readying a MiG-23BN (56:30 mins). The last part (1:36:30 hrs) is a short promo video for a career as an aircraft mechanic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaaenJKeSQQ

mig21bis
November 9th, 2016, 07:53
Dutch, very grateful for all you've done with Ivan's MiG-21MF. We are using it as an adversary in TacPack multiplayer P3Dv3 sessions, and it is a fantastic addition to the profile. Radar allows us to harass the attack force from a safe distance, and your "GCI Tool" is a perfect solution allowing us to self-vector for authentic tactics.

One problem: in missile mode, one press of trigger launches several AIM-9's (masquerading as Aphid, of course).

Any idea if it's a bug, or if we're doing something wrong? I expect that with both wing station switches hot, each press of trigger would launch one missile, cycling through until all are gone.

Toby (Rhino)

xpelekis
November 10th, 2016, 06:22
and your "GCI Tool" is a perfect solution allowing us to self-vector for authentic tactics.

"GCI tool" ? What is this ? I must have missed that... and I also need a Ground Controlled Interception functionality...

Is it a gauge or something placed in any Airplane's folder or MiG21 specific only feature ? thnx.

mig21bis
November 10th, 2016, 06:49
Yes, use Shift+7 and Shift+8 I think to bring it up. Dutch added the ATC/Tower function as a 2D gauge, making it possible for you to self-vector. Smart add, allows us to mimic Soviet-style GCI procedures without requiring a controller.

dggoofy
August 15th, 2017, 22:27
Hi all,

I'm fan of this bird. Very well done, nice systems, nice to fly. I don't know if something new after beta_160801 was done, so let me tell you what I did.

I did some modifications and adds :

- Add working JATO (I mean, you have really a push and short TO). Effects, button were already set, but not used. In the manual you can read how to use Flare/Chaff by powering it. But in fact, those switches are for JATO as you can see on the announce panel behind the joystick (2 green lights "JATO ready") :
http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o513/dggoofy/2017-8-14_17-51-35-924_zpsh5mdtspq.jpg (http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/dggoofy/media/2017-8-14_17-51-35-924_zpsh5mdtspq.jpg.html)

- If you use Flare/Chaff (with keyboard shortcurt "C" or automatic) you get a "bang" even if there is no flare/chaff any more. This is now corrected.
- change model reflexion so that you can paint glossy metallic texture.
- change switch logic so that they can be activated with left click or wheel...

Now the question : How can I post it this without problem (copyright or else) ?

Cheers

Daniel

Bjoern
August 16th, 2017, 08:33
Just post it. SimSkunkWorks also has this bird available in P3D flavor and the author has been AWOL for a long time anyway. Don't forget to credit everybody though.

It's been a long time since I flew this bird and the mod situation has me a mildly confused at the moment. Does any of the package feature an upgraded FDE?

And Daniel, how did you implement JATO?
My feeble attempt used XMLTools to increase acceleration for a few seconds when the bottles are firing.

mig21bis
August 16th, 2017, 08:52
Bjoern, Dutch's enhancement of Ivan's model makes it a fantastic Aggressor. We've used it a lot in multiplayer sessions, perfect for teaching old-school tactics and timeless ACM fundamentals. I also used the original, and this one seems quite a bit more realistic in the FDE area. Original seemed dynamically unstable, not what I'd expect from this vintage fighter. Accurate or not, this one is more "fun" to fly and is certainly useful in MP TacPack scenarios.

dggoofy
August 16th, 2017, 10:00
And Daniel, how did you implement JATO?
My feeble attempt used XMLTools to increase acceleration for a few seconds when the bottles are firing.

Well, in fact it was nearly done by Ivan.
When you switch "Flare/Chaff" on (right of the seat)... (in fact it is the JATO command), Ivan coded the start of an engine 2...

I just add a single line into the aircraft.cfg, section [GeneralEngineDate] :
// jato
engine.1= 4.24, 0.0, -2.1

Then I put some xml code to ignite engine 2.
When you push engine 1 to 80%, JATO starts for 10-12 sec. Then, engine 2 stops and JATO drops.

I'll post as soon as I have updated the manual.

Cheers

Daniel

Bjoern
August 16th, 2017, 12:39
Ah, so that's how this worked in the original release. Merci pour l'info.

jetpilot1980
November 1st, 2020, 10:20
Does anyone know what happened to this project? I was able to at one point download the 160815 version of it and I saw that a later version came out a few days later but the download links all seem to be dead. While this seemed like a great work, I am having some problems with it in P3Dv4 / Tacpack in that I can't get the rockets or missiles to fire, the radar does not work, and I cannot get the pylon armed annunciators to come on. I can get the guns to fire and that is about it. Any ideas where a later version of this project might be downloaded? Also were any of the JATO equipped versions ever released? Thanks

ceo1944
November 1st, 2020, 12:42
Does anyone know what happened to this project? I was able to at one point download the 160815 version of it and I saw that a later version came out a few days later but the download links all seem to be dead. While this seemed like a great work, I am having some problems with it in P3Dv4 / Tacpack in that I can't get the rockets or missiles to fire, the radar does not work, and I cannot get the pylon armed annunciators to come on. I can get the guns to fire and that is about it. Any ideas where a later version of this project might be downloaded? Also were any of the JATO equipped versions ever released? Thanks

I didn't know the links were dead. I'll see if I can package up the P3D version and give you a link shortly.

Dutch

jetpilot1980
November 3rd, 2020, 06:29
Hi Dutch,

I know I sent you a PM about this but I see I can upload attachments here in the forum. So as I stated even with the latest link I cannot get rockets and missiles to work.

Aircraft is loaded using the configurator (before flight)
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79782&stc=1

noticing in aircraft.cfg all weights are showing 0 on stations 2-5 as opposed to "token weights" stated in tacpack.ini file
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79781&stc=1

Radar is switched on post 2 min wait target in range but Radar not working launch and air switch positions selected.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79783&stc=1

So as you can see I have the "six switches up" also note how radar scope is not working and looks black

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79784&stc=1

clip from your video where I noticed that the radar scope looks olive drab even when off leading me to believe that the radar is perhaps not working or missing in P3D somehow...?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79780&stc=1

Any insights you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks