PDA

View Full Version : The C-5M "Super Galaxy"

Panther_99FS
August 11th, 2016, 20:12
Well...we finally got one here....
Man I'm going to miss the old sound...but all the pilots that I've talked to love it!

Daveroo
August 12th, 2016, 07:07
my dad still doesnt...ok didnt believe me when i would tell him they would be now C-5M...and that the C-5A was pretty much gone.

Aharon
August 12th, 2016, 09:29
????? I do not understand?

There is new payware add on plane for C-5M Super Galaxy?? If so, where? I have payware AREA 51 C-5M but would buy another one if the other software's Galaxy is better

Dev One
August 12th, 2016, 10:23
would be now C-5M...and that the C-5A was pretty much gone.

Makes one think...I worked on the design of parts of the C5A wing in the UK back in '66/67.........
Keith

Motormouse
August 12th, 2016, 12:08
????? I do not understand?

There is new payware add on plane for C-5M Super Galaxy?? If so, where? I have payware AREA 51 C-5M but would buy another one if the other software's Galaxy is better

Aharon, Mr Panther resides at Lackland AFB if the ICAO code for his home field is correct, he's referring to real world aviation :)

ttfn

Pete

RAF Ret'd

Panther_99FS
August 12th, 2016, 14:19
Aharon, Mr Panther resides at Lackland AFB if the ICAO code for his home field is correct, he's referring to real world aviation :)

ttfn

Pete

RAF Ret'd

Yeppers! :mixed-smiley-010::mixed-smiley-010:

ejoiner
August 12th, 2016, 14:55
Yeppers! :mixed-smiley-010::mixed-smiley-010:

My parents and grandparents worked for Lockheed Georgia Company and I remember being about 9 years old and sitting on the hill one hot as hell June day in about 1968 watching the very first C-5A flight. Sucker taxiied out and promptly had about 3 simultaneous tire blowouts while taxiing. Took them 2 hours (in the heat) to change the tires and then it flew. Was a MASSIVE beast. I still remember both the flight and the heat.

Lockheed company video does not mention that little fact... :untroubled: My grandmother was the personal secretary to Dan Haughton (Lockheed CEO at the time).

https://youtu.be/E-ujReXknxY

I vividly recall the C-124's sitting on the ANG ramp at Dobbins AFB you can see about the 3:17 mark in the video.

CG_1976
August 12th, 2016, 17:09
Well...we finally got one here....
Man I'm going to miss the old sound...but all the pilots that I've talked to love it!

I thought I saw a C5 flying near the Medical Dist on Approach yesterday on my way Home. Couldn't tell the type of C5 although. Thanks P.

Panther_99FS
August 12th, 2016, 18:14
I thought I saw a C5 flying near the Medical Dist on Approach yesterday on my way Home. Couldn't tell the type of C5 although. Thanks P.

It flew pro today for a few hours....

Daveroo
August 12th, 2016, 19:24
normally you can hear that whine and know what it is/was..so does it have a "generic" sound to it now?...ive always wondered ,with that distinctive sound that it would be a big target in a hostile area..would it not?

yeah ya might say they wont be in those area's,but i remember reading an article in a airplane related magazine years back about how they flew in and out of the big airport in Baghdad and would come under fire,think i even saw a show about it.C-17s,C5's and C-130s .

RockStarofRust
August 13th, 2016, 08:27
Hey Dave.
Ever been to Travis AFB?
A few years ago, L and I were heading west on highway 12 to Suisun City and low and behold they were doing C 5 touch and goes. That distinctive whine!
There is no other sound like it when their a couple of hundred feet over your car. Almost broke my neck trying to get a good look. L made me pull over. I'm sure they
were empty, as those beasts are very agile for thieir size!

Daveroo
August 13th, 2016, 08:47
hey rock,yes i have,years ago we took my 55 chevy down there to a car show,thats where i got to talkin to a airforce security officer,and asked if the plane i was seeing over yonder was a B29?..he said yes,wanna see it?..so dad and i,long with my sister and her slug of a husband (not Randy) and the cop all piled into his little chevy patrol car and he took us for a close up view...ill see if i can find those pics...was pre computer days for me..and pre digital ofcourse...lol.

Aharon
August 13th, 2016, 09:15
Motormouse,

Ahhh thanks for explanation. I thought everybody was talking about new payware add on C-5M Galaxy by another software company. LOL

Regards,

Aharon

RockStarofRust
August 13th, 2016, 11:34
hey rock,yes i have,years ago we took my 55 chevy down there to a car show,thats where i got to talkin to a airforce security officer,and asked if the plane i was seeing over yonder was a B29?..he said yes,wanna see it?..so dad and i,long with my sister and her slug of a husband (not Randy) and the cop all piled into his little chevy patrol car and he took us for a close up view...ill see if i can find those pics...was pre computer days for me..and pre digital ofcourse...lol.

Would love to see those pictues Dave!!!

Panther_99FS
August 14th, 2016, 09:45
Hey Dave.
Ever been to Travis AFB?
A few years ago, L and I were heading west on highway 12 to Suisun City and low and behold they were doing C 5 touch and goes. That distinctive whine!
There is no other sound like it when their a couple of hundred feet over your car. Almost broke my neck trying to get a good look. L made me pull over. I'm sure they
were empty, as those beasts are very agile for thieir size!

And with the "M" model, that distinctive whine is gone forever....:-(

modelr
August 14th, 2016, 17:14
In 1970-72 I was stationed at Kadena AFB, Okinawa, where we had F-4E Phantoms, B-52s, C-141s and C-5s, would have been A models then. Oh, we also had about a half dozen SR-71s. Our barracks was close to the flightline, and it was very easy to tell what kind of plane was landing / taking off by their distinctive sound. We would often go up on the roof to watch the action.:adoration: I worked in the bomb dump, which was on the other side of the base, and across the road in the hills. We would pass behind the aircraft as they did their run ups during pre-take off, and then the take off run. I remember nearly getting blown off my motorcycle from a C-5. They closed the road when the SR-71s did their run-ups and take offs. They would scorch anything on the road. Some of the best times I had there. :very_drunk:

Tom Clayton
August 14th, 2016, 17:16
I remember that whine very well. When I was in AF basic back in 1985, there was some sort of Depot level TCTO being done on them at Kelly. So there were C-5's flying over Lackland all day and night. It was cool at first, but it got old after the first week - especially since "lights out" was before dark, so it was hard enough to get to sleep without that drone every ten minutes...

Victory103
August 14th, 2016, 18:45
We get the Kelly C-5's up here at GRK a lot for low approaches and touch n goes, having a 10,000' runway helps. Saw my first "M" last week with a Dover C-5 coming in. Glad the AF has upgraded them finally, spent an extra 2 weeks in Balad, Iraq years ago waiting on always broke C-5's to come pick us up.

Panther_99FS
March 2nd, 2017, 15:51
Okay...so now that I've been working right next to the flight line for a few months....
This plane is SERIOUSLY QUIET!!!!! - In a way that I can't explain...almost silent! :dizzy:

Switchblade408
March 2nd, 2017, 16:08
Been living close to the Fort Worth Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base for 5 years. Just about once a month, I see a C-5 in the pattern. Hard plane to miss.

PRB
March 2nd, 2017, 17:20
I loved the sound of C-5s taking off. Not so much a whine as a low pitched growl... 747s have the same sound. Pretty cool.