PDA

View Full Version : easy to fly helicopter.

ryapad
August 10th, 2016, 20:45
hi guys, do you know if there is a good helicopter for figuring out helicopters in FSX? It seems like helicopters are kind of hard to fly and i have not really done any research on them so if you guys know of something like a training helicopter could you please tell me? Thanks.

falcon409
August 10th, 2016, 21:05
hi guys, do you know if there is a good helicopter for figuring out helicopters in FSX? It seems like helicopters are kind of hard to fly and i have not really done any research on them so if you guys know of something like a training helicopter could you please tell me? Thanks.
Actually, if you're talking about FSX, the default Robinson is used by many RW Companies as a training helicopter.

ChipShop
August 11th, 2016, 01:57
From my own experience of when I started flying FSX rotary wing, try a helicopter with a wheeled undercarriage, it's a little more forgiving in take offs and landings.
There's plenty of freeware ones out there, some good, some not quite so good; choose one you like the look of and see how it flies! If it's not to your liking, then try another!
Remember, that with a helicopter, you're working in 2 extra dimensions,(vertical & backwards) and that with the controls you'll need to constantly give and take with small movements on the joystick, collective and rudder pedals!
Practice, practice and more practice!
Have a go, and see what you think!
ChipShop🚁👍😉

gastonj
August 11th, 2016, 02:18
Hi,
The default Bell 206 is the easiest to fly.

JMC

Willy
August 11th, 2016, 02:47
The easiest I've found is the former payware AlphaSim/Virtavia Sikorsky S-55 (H-19 Chickasaw). It's a FS9 portover but makes the transition very well.

http://www.virtavia.com/Freeware/index.php

Actually better said is that I haven't found many that I can't take off and fly. It's hovering and the landings where the trouble starts.

jeansy
August 11th, 2016, 03:31
you can start with anything, as there is a simple line to add to the most sensitive helos to tame them down

just place the following line into the aircraft cfg

[Helicopter]
low_realism_stability_scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0 //Pitch , Bank, Yaw Scalars on Stability in Low Realism Settings

you can adjust these setting +/- .1 as you improve or need to improve

however be warned every keyboard chopper pilot will come out of the wood work and tell you that the dodo 206 is the only helo to fly!

its FSX/P3D there will never be a true to life replication of dynamics

just have fun and pick helos you like, once you can transition to and from hovers thats about all you need to know.

Ferry_vO
August 11th, 2016, 07:20
The easiest I've found is the former payware AlphaSim/Virtavia Sikorsky S-55 (H-19 Chickasaw). It's a FS9 portover but makes the transition very well.

http://www.virtavia.com/Freeware/index.php

Actually better said is that I haven't found many that I can't take off and fly. It's hovering and the landings where the trouble starts.

There's also a native FsX version in the list. Do remember some issues with a black panel due to a texture problem but there should be a fix for that.

Willy
August 11th, 2016, 08:43
Thanks Ferry! I knew that but for some reason didn't even think of there being a FSX version.

I've never had the black panel issue, so not sure what's up with that. If it's the 2d, then I could understand as I usually toss those out these days.

ryapad
August 11th, 2016, 09:32
Exactly. Anybody can fly a plane, but not everyone can land one.

Terry
August 11th, 2016, 10:14
I think a real one would be easier to fly as opposed to all realism settings on the sim being maxed.

Cirrus N210MS
August 11th, 2016, 10:30
The aerosoft UH-1 is a fun bird if you need a easy helicopter :jump: or the Milviz AW109 or the Alabeo R44

aardvark62
August 11th, 2016, 10:41
You might want to take a look at this one. Free, and loads of repaints out there...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41795&stc=1

http://www.eaglerotorcraftsimulations.com/fsx_bell206b.php

ryapad
August 11th, 2016, 17:12
Ok. I will check that out. It's freeware, right?

BrittMac
August 11th, 2016, 20:17
Yup, the Eagle Sim stuff is free. I don't know if they fixed the 206 float gear not floating, but, otherwise it was nice. As stated before, the default 206 is easy to fly.

Now, when you get down to brass tacks, the Cerasim UH-60 is stupid easy to fly, because of the system that controls yaw. But, it's payware.

Many options are available, and you won't have any trouble looking through the different websites. I love some helo action, though, the last couple months I haven't been using them. (earned my PPL and am working on my IFR now, so not much time for fun simming).

euroastar350
August 12th, 2016, 04:36
The ERS 206 is getting revamped for a second time, but more models, a 3D cockpit, new sound system are planned. The info on the ERS is very outdated and hasn't been updated in a very long time, a revised version has been on avsim for a couple of years now with the float model fixed. Also on my helicopter list is the Sikorsky S76 which is on short final, Bell 222/222B/222UT and Bell 429, all already in the workshop with the Bell 222 next after the S76 release.

SkippyBing
August 12th, 2016, 06:22
Actually, if you're talking about FSX, the default Robinson is used by many RW Companies as a training helicopter.

Although this is mainly because it's about the cheapest to operate, as a helicopter it's at the more difficult end of the spectrum when it comes to actually flying it! Frank Robinson does keep pointing out that he didn't design it to be used for training but money talks louder.

srgalahad
August 12th, 2016, 08:53
Although this is mainly because it's about the cheapest to operate, as a helicopter it's at the more difficult end of the spectrum when it comes to actually flying it! Frank Robinson does keep pointing out that he didn't design it to be used for training but money talks louder.

There's also the theory that learning anything at the 'difficult end' improves the skill set and makes transitioning to the 'easier' ones even easier.

That said, in the sim, trying to learn to fly helicopters without decent controllers, in particular without rudder pedals, is like going hunting for the first time in your life by going after a grizzly bear or lion with just a K-Bar knife - it can be done but the odds are against you. :wiggle: I know there are many who will pop up with comments about how they fly with just a keyboard, or one hand behind their back, but that's survival, not learning or simulating.

Using a twist-grip stick for yaw and pitch and roll means you are constantly trying to get one hand to balance too many things and you get NO rest, let alone fighting competing forces. I'll echo Willy's comment about the S-55- the FDE is set up so with care I can even get it to hover in ground effect hands-off ( for short periods) and while it's not the fastest, nor the fanciest, it does allow one to get a handle on the various forces gently. One doesn't need to do 3 hour flights, but if you are tired or frustrated after five minutes the finesse goes out the window and the techniques take a long time to acquire.

Speaking of gently, good helicopter flying comes from a light touch on the controls. Stick-busting, brute force slam-bang techniques are rarely going to be rewarded with a pleasant or successful flight. Incremental power adjustments work, especially when learning, as does not getting fixated on a straight-ahead view when near the ground - it's helpful to practice hovering and landing where there are good visible clues on the ground (rwy marks, etc.) and with the view at a slight angle sideways and downward (just like you would IRL).

jeansy
August 12th, 2016, 09:01
my suggestion is go and join hovercontrol and go through the pilots check ride, they will have instructor go online with you and teach you how to fly

Blackbird686
August 12th, 2016, 11:06
I think a real one would be easier to fly as opposed to all realism settings on the sim being maxed.

Helicopter by description. If the "wings" are moving faster than the "fuselage", it must be a helicopter and therefore unsafe.... Actually I have found that the "Simshed Wessex" is one of the easiest birds to fly. It's an FS9 model tho. In FSX, I have actually grown rather fond of Nemeth's "Hind". Very easy flyer, not too hard to land. Takeoffs are a breeze... once you get the bloody thing lit.... lol! :encouragement:

BB686:US-flag:

BrittMac
August 12th, 2016, 13:21
The ERS 206 is getting revamped for a second time, but more models, a 3D cockpit, new sound system are planned. The info on the ERS is very outdated and hasn't been updated in a very long time, a revised version has been on avsim for a couple of years now with the float model fixed. Also on my helicopter list is the Sikorsky S76 which is on short final, Bell 222/222B/222UT and Bell 429, all already in the workshop with the Bell 222 next after the S76 release.

Thanks for the update on the float model, I wasn't aware. I'll take a look for it. Also looking forward to your next releases.

ryapad
August 12th, 2016, 21:11
OK. Thanks for all of the help. I have a twist grip joystick and a CH product yoke and rudder pedals. I have noticed that it is hard for me to juggle all of the controls using one hand, but my Logitech joystick doesn't work with my rudder pedals. I guess i can give it a shot with the CH Yoke but it might not end well. A question about the ERS Bell 206; Is it very different from the default bell? I have some problems with internet data usage and i have a long list of planes lined up for downloading.

BrittMac
August 13th, 2016, 11:43
OK. Thanks for all of the help. I have a twist grip joystick and a CH product yoke and rudder pedals. I have noticed that it is hard for me to juggle all of the controls using one hand, but my Logitech joystick doesn't work with my rudder pedals. I guess i can give it a shot with the CH Yoke but it might not end well. A question about the ERS Bell 206; Is it very different from the default bell? I have some problems with internet data usage and i have a long list of planes lined up for downloading.

Regarding your rudder and joystick issue, can you go into the joystick setting and disable the joystick rudder axis and just use the rudder pedals?

As far as the d/l, it's not a huge file. You have a smartphone? You can go to an internet café and download files there and transfer them to your computer if you have enough storage on the phone.

Brian_Gladden
August 15th, 2016, 14:36
It's payware (fairly inexpensive) but I found the Alphasim/Virtavia MH-53 PAVELOW improved my helicopter skills immensely. Once I became proficient on the big heavy bird, the smaller (and twitchier) Helos became much easier

Victory103
August 15th, 2016, 18:27
I always recommend guys head over to Hovercontrol for the basics of controller set up, which should be priority as there are so many variations in cpu configs, but the controls have to be set first. As far as type, the stock stuff is good enough to get you started, although finally getting a chance to fly a Robbie earlier this year I found the FS version doesn't compare as with most helo flight dynamics. The ERS models are great freeware, especially the low skid versions which take me back to to flight school days at Ft. Rucker.