PDA

View Full Version : FSX-SE not shutting down

dhasdell
August 9th, 2016, 22:32
Here's an odd one. My FSX-SE closes down as normal, but if later on I try to load it again it refuses, and I get a message to tell me that it is already running. Only shutting down Steam through the task manager or a computer reboot will let me start again. Any ideas, please?

Roger
August 9th, 2016, 23:06
Does this help, Dave:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/492379439672207293/

scotth6
August 10th, 2016, 02:48
I have had this a quite a few times also not so long ago. I found that exiting just using the close button on the top right didn't stop all the programs that were connected to it via the dll.xml or exe.xml files. It can actually be any program that is connected to FSX that is still running, for example OPUS FSX, AI Carriers etc. If it happens check the Icons from the bottom right of the task bar (click the up arrow) to show which programs are still running, and if you then close them you should be able to restart FSX. It won't start if there are any associated programs still running.

I have found the solution, which I use now by habit, is to end your flight using the escape key and selecting "End Flight" and then when the main FSX window appears press escape again to bring up the exit dialogue window. If you then click on exit from that dialogue FSX will shut down and so will all the associated programs.

Cheers,

fsafranek
August 10th, 2016, 07:08
Sometimes the .NET version of AI Carriers remains loaded after FSX-SE is closed and prevents relaunching. You can tell from the little rectangular box symbol in the system tray (bottom right corner, click "up" arrow). Proper exiting as described above (as opposed to just hitting the "X") seems to help.
:ernaehrung004:

gecko65
August 10th, 2016, 07:58
Does Steam show FSX is still running in Library view?

dhasdell
August 10th, 2016, 08:22
Thanks for all the replies. I've done a bit of checking, and AiCarriers never shows up in the icons accessed from the system tray. After shutting down "properly", FSX disappears from Task Manager and only the little Steam icon shows in the system tray popup, but if I try to exit it I get the message that I must shut down FSX first, even though I have done so. However, if I go to Task Manager AiCarriers is there, and if I close it (or, indeed Steam) then FSX does shut down as far as Steam is concerned. It seems as if AiCarriers is to blame and preventing a normal shutdown of FSX, but this is a new problem after months of use. How do I fix it?

Bjoern
August 10th, 2016, 12:35
You can create a batch file to kill AI Carriers' process in case it does not properly shut down.

For the general method, see the following link. Just adapt it to AIC's process name.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-do-i-kill-all-the-iexploreexe-processes-at-once/