PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Control Panel Settings Advice Needed

StormILM
August 4th, 2016, 14:29
I just upgraded from my 3 year old (now failed) AMD Radeon HD7770 to a new EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SC 02G-P4-2962 (2gb). The installation on my old workhorse 2013 Dell XPS 8500 went smoothly and current drivers are now installed with the video/graphics feed being excellent. This is my first Nvidia GPU use since my old 2007 Laptop (which I never used for FS purposes). Anyhow, cut to the chase here, I just wanted to ask our local Nvidia based users to give me suggestions on what settings they use in the current Nvidia Control Panel? I know everyone may end up using different settings but any opinions are welcome.

Daube
August 4th, 2016, 14:41
The most important thing is to ensure the parameter linked to the 'transparency AntiAliasing' is set to 'disabled', else you'll suffer from terrible FPS drops in clouds, fog and smoke.
Then, the rest depends if you're flying in DX9 mode or DX10 Preview mode.

StormILM
August 4th, 2016, 15:56
Yep, I read from another forum last night to make sure the transparency AntiAliasing was set to off. Before jumping in and buying the GTX-960 (and shipping it overnight on FedEx), I was more initially worried about integration of a new GPU into my 3 year old Dell XPS 8500. I read where some users had show stopping issues and others reported performance loss when they did get a GPU integrated into older Dell's. This card ended up being a perfect match for my aging system for yet another midlife upgrade and the who process was very seamless. I have to say, I never got this level of rendering performance out of my old HD7770. With REX and high end aircraft models I would always have some cloud texture flickering or anomalies and moderate to low FPS in moderate to heavy overcast settings. With the GTX-960, I am now getting very good to excellent FPS in and around heavy cloud concentration settings as well as near perfect cloud and sky renderings. My entire Sim experience is smoother than I've ever known before which is great considering I'm running a non-OCed i7-3770 (non-K) CPU. The only minor issue I am having is that at certain zoom settings (both in VC and External), there's a bit of fuzziness on some VC displays and external leading edges. Zoomed in they look clear but zoomed out a little, there's that slight bit of fuzzy appearance. I saw this issue with my previous GPU with different drivers but here, I have the latest drivers for this new GPU. It's not a big deal, I reckon I'll get it sorted with some advice on settings or perhaps driver upgrades/changes. Oh, I almost forgot, I did leave my FSX config tweak as it was from when I used Bojote's Auto-Tweaker & manual tweaks from Kosta's advice. As things are running so perfectly now, I don't want to mess with the CFG much for fear of screwing up something!

manfredc3
August 4th, 2016, 21:57
Was this what you were looking for:

https://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-software-and-hardware-guide/

StormILM
August 4th, 2016, 23:36
Thanks. I had that page marked but I had not bothered to look at the NVIDIA related notes until now. That pretty much covers it.